• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Liability Release

kskraye

I just bought a tire changer and did my first tire today for my brother. I know sooner or later, someone I don't know real well is going to want me to put a tire on. He leaves my shop and does not make the first curve because he wants to drag the pegs and then everybody looks at me. Is it a good idea to have them to sign some type of a liability release form or is it worth the paper it is written on. :fight

I just bought a tire changer and did my first tire today for my brother. I know sooner or later, someone I don't know real well is going to want me to put a tire on. He leaves my shop and does not make the first curve because he wants to drag the pegs and then everybody looks at me. Is it a good idea to have them to sign some type of a liability release form or is it worth the paper it is written on. :fight

Just say no, if it worries you.

Just say no, if it worries you.

Yup

Changing tires is not that easy or fun. I reserve my skinned knuckles for good friends that I'm not concerned with in regards to a potential law suit. Come to think of it, the friend I change tires for is Dbrick, a retired attorney, I better be careful :laugh

Yup

Changing tires is not that easy or fun. I reserve my skinned knuckles for good friends that I'm not concerned with in regards to a potential law suit. Come to think of it, the friend I change tires for is Dbrick, a retired attorney, I better be careful :laugh
No reason to be -- (as an attorney I can say) he probably doesn't see your pockets being deep enough to make it worth his while! :ha Besides, even attorneys need a friend :buds

I regularly change tires for friends and do some basic maintenance for some mechanically challenged folks as well. I never accept payment and tell them my work is warranted until they start the engine. I know there is always some risk, but it is a risk I accept. Almost always they are present when the work is preformed and help to some degree. If anything goes awry it will be due to their actions. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Tire repairs

In this part of the country (South Florida) no one in the tire business or motorcycle business will plug a motorcycle tire, no matter what. I believe tire plugging done properly where the plug is inserted from inside the tire to the outside to be safe, after all if it holds up on a 5000 lb + vehicle for thousands of miles why won't it work on a motorcycle? The reason is, lawyers. Lawyers have every one scared to death, plugs installed from the out side may fail and/or leak, I consider this type as a temporary get me home type of repair. On the other hand where the tire is removed from the wheel, properly cleaned and plugged from the inside will last the life of the tire. However rather than take a chance cycle shops would rather sell tires than plugs and avoid law suites.

Caution

Had a chat with a local last week. He removed, patched and reinstalled a tire on a pickup of his using professional equipment. Just as he was getting the fourth bolt on, the tire exploded in his face. He was lucky not to lose the eye.

His teenage son had wanted to reinstall the tire, but he waved the kid off of the job. Probably a good thing.

That said, I don't think I will ever consider mounting my own tires.

Had a chat with a local last week. He removed, patched and reinstalled a tire on a pickup of his using professional equipment. Just as he was getting the fourth bolt on, the tire exploded in his face. He was lucky not to lose the eye.

His teenage son had wanted to reinstall the tire, but he waved the kid off of the job. Probably a good thing.

That said, I don't think I will ever consider mounting my own tires.[/QUOTE

Too little information here to comment on, serviceable tires just don't explode......

serviceable tires just don't explode......

I have to agree with you on that. Especially, if the tires are inflated to recommended pressures.

Now, if the bead was "seated" at some ridiculous pressure or the sidewall was damaged, that's a different matter.

Back