Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Side case protection

Side case scuff protection, '10 1200Rt

What are some of the choices for side case protection? I've looked at the BMW lower pads and the Wunderlich pads from the UK, both seem to be lacking. Also considered wrapping in stretchable carbon look sheeting, and spray on masking. Are there any other options that have been found?
    Last edited by bikenut595; 06-03-2015 at 03:28 AM.
    bikenut595

'72 75/5 Toaster, '72 75/5,
    '04 1150RT, '10 1200RT, '14 Zuma 125

Side CASE protection
    bikenut595

'72 75/5 Toaster, '72 75/5,
    '04 1150RT, '10 1200RT, '14 Zuma 125

i have the wunderlich bars in combination with the bmw lowerpads

IMG_7499_zpscff0822e.jpg

wunderlich bars do a good job for the most part but in a full on drop, it'll still roll onto its side and you can still get scuffs like in the pic above (small scratches, upper portion of sidecase)

this is for the RT?
    Crick0234

bikes owned: r1200rt, f800st
    bikes gone: honda shadow vlx, suzuki katana 600

paint repair

I'll carry this a bit further, I dropped mine in a scenic pull out up in northern Alabama a few weeks ago, damned gravel and damn me for not paying more attention to where I was placing my foot. Now the right side matches the left that I scratched the morning of departure on the same 3 week trip.. Mine are two-toned on a 2013and I'm looking for recommendations for having them repainted.

Quote Originally Posted by wwalton View Post
    I'll carry this a bit further, I dropped mine in a scenic pull out up in northern Alabama a few weeks ago, damned gravel and damn me for not paying more attention to where I was placing my foot. Now the right side matches the left that I scratched the morning of departure on the same 3 week trip.. Mine are two-toned on a 2013and I'm looking for recommendations for having them repainted.

Walt:

Any decent body shop can do it. I had my '05 RT painted all black at a good body shop nearby that works on Euro cars and such. It looks great. There are a few shops that do Glasurit (sp?) paint, which is really toxic but holds up better, but you don't need that for bags that are just going to get clobbered again probably. My paint is holding up pretty well. Best to do it later in the season so you can let the paint cure in the garage before riding much.

They're more likely to take the job if you remove all the parts and bring them in. The '05 bag covers come off with two screws per hinge on the bottoms of the bags. I'm sure the two-tone bit can be disassembled for painting. If not, they can mask it. The more you do for them, the less it'll cost you.

Take a photo of what you bring, count the pieces before you leave and let them know the number. I think I had 15 pieces. They buffed out the scratches in my bags from a couple of Rocky Mountain tip-overs and repainted all my grey bits a very nice black. Now, the painted bits fairly match the flat black bits, it looks like a bike (one color) instead of a mosaic. On the hex-heads, that broken-up look always bugged me. My tip-over provided an opportunity to make it right. Thinking about some pin striping but really want to see someone else's results before I go there. It looks good now.

-2005 R1200RT; Black repaint; Wilbers adj. susp; Bar-baks; Sargent seats; Big Mak bag; Michelin PR4; Sm BMW top case; Zumo w/GadgetGuys mount; Built-in V-1; 82K 10/2014.
    -2000 Aprilia RSV Mille R; Corbin Seat; CycleCat bars; Leo Vinci CF can; Wolf chip; Pilot Sports; 18K 10/2014

Quote Originally Posted by bikenut595 View Post
    What are some of the choices for side case protection? I've looked at the BMW lower pads and the Wunderlich pads from the UK, both seem to be lacking. Also considered wrapping in stretchable carbon look sheeting, and spray on masking. Are there any other options that have been found?
    I had mine sprayed with a truck bed liner material and they are holding up well.

Quote Originally Posted by 165280 View Post
    i have the wunderlich bars in combination with the bmw lowerpads

IMG_7499_zpscff0822e.jpg

wunderlich bars do a good job for the most part but in a full on drop, it'll still roll onto its side and you can still get scuffs like in the pic above (small scratches, upper portion of sidecase)
    +1 -- exactly the same little scratches on the upper "crease" when my wife dropped her '12 RT. If the bike does not roll all of the way over to horizontal, the Wunderlich bars work well. For a complete roll-over, I don't believe there's anything that will be totally protective.

In my wife's case the Wunderlich saddlebag bars and ZTechnik engine guards kept most of the bike off the ground. The rollover stopped when the right mirror housing touched the ground -- sort of a three-point support that kept the rest of the tupperware off the ground. Good enough performance that I'd buy them again (and I did, for my '15 RT).

And FWIW, when the Wunderlich bars go completely horizontal they will get scratched up along the outer side like above. My wife's saddlebag bar was scratched much worse because she was moving at slow speed and the bike slid a bit along the street. Even when heavily scratched, the paint and chewed up metal bar can be ground/sanded smooth, and shot with a very closely-matching Duplicolor rattle can (in this case, a silver metal flake). Guess HIKT.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

drgnhtr

Thumbs up Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by kenjm View Post
    I had mine sprayed with a truck bed liner material and they are holding up well.
    I did the same thing but bought a pair of damaged (I.E. scratched up) ones on the cheap and put the pretty ones on the shelf for the day I sell or trade the bike. It cost me about $75 for the cases and $70 for the liner. This way I don't have to worry about rocks, opening too far or clumsy me.

Side case protection

Anyone tried using the clear plastic film? I believe they are by 3M and works well with the hood of my car. Just not sure if they can been applied to the bottom part of the case given the curves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kevinsclo View Post
    Anyone tried using the clear plastic film? I believe they are by 3M and works well with the hood of my car. Just not sure if they can been applied to the bottom part of the case given the curves.
    A good installer could handle the curves, but the film would not offer much in the way of protection when wedged between the asphalt and the saddlebag.

I use the film on the top of the bags for boot-scuff protection, and the stuff is excellent for deflecting things like pebbles off the headlight, but it does not have enough tear resistance or thickness to prevent the ground from grinding through to the paint in anything but the softest lay down.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

R-
    Did you get some side case protection mounted before you leave for Billings tomorrow morning?
    The bars are good for an unplanned lay-down, but, not for hangar(garage) rash.
    Show us a photo ?
    J-
    '10 R1200RT - Ostra Grey
    '04 R1150RT - New Life in Upstate N.Y.
    '04 R1150R - New Life in Virginia

Hard to believe that there is no aftermarket protection available. My R1100RT cases were well protected by form fitting rubber pads that were available. My R1200RT side cases are even more vulnerable to rash when the bike is dropped due to their shape, yet nothing is available on the aftermarket. Weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Company called The Tank Slapper sells a 3m film custom cut kit for the rt. Also, BMW has lower pads to protect the bottom of the bags.

Quote Originally Posted by BMARC153920 View Post
    Company called The Tank Slapper sells a 3m film custom cut kit for the rt. Also, BMW has lower pads to protect the bottom of the bags.
    Looks like that's just the thin film which would protect against shoe scuffs when mounting, but would not protect against grinding scrapes from dropping the bike. It's the latter that I want to protect against.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by glwestcott View Post
    Looks like that's just the thin film which would protect against shoe scuffs when mounting, but would not protect against grinding scrapes from dropping the bike. It's the latter that I want to protect against.
    That is correct. I have the Tankslapper kit on my RTW, and I can confirm it would *not* provide any significant protection during a drop.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA