• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Are we rally go'ers

sdpc2

Still getting what we pay for? Or expect when we go to club rallies?

I am a long time rally rat... Been going to local and national rallies for about 20 years. Every year, I hear local clubs complaint about how their attendance is down and they are barely breaking even. Yet in the past couple of years, I have gone to rallies where we were fed a Friday night meal of hot dogs (or hamburgers, rarely both), and had two night of camping and usually a Saturday night meal of some kind. That is for my $45 or $50. I ask you all, and the people putting on the rallies.... Where is my $$$ going?

I don't mind paying for a good meal or two (breakfast is a bonus). But I expect a nice place to camp, clean bathrooms and someplace to shower. Music is a big plus! Is that too much to expect?

My first rally of the year, 3 of the door prizes went to club members! I'm paying for those trips?!?!?! This past weekend, my Sat night meal looked like it went through a grinder, and we didn't even have showers! In the past, I went to a rally where they served spaghetti from a can! I don't think so...

As my good friend said to me today, "never have I paid so much, and gotten so little".

I look forward to hearing what you all have to say.

sdpc :ear:ear

You obviously have never organized such an event!

$45.00 registration
Now sub track -
camping cost per night
Saturday Catered meal fee
Friday night Hotdogs, buns, etc.
Saturday morning Donuts
Food for Sunday breakfast
Firewood
Rally Pin
Plates, napkins, soda, Coffee, Creamer, and everything else that need bought
Insurance fee's

Members pay registration just like others attending and are illegible to win a door prize.

Where else can you spend a weekend for that kind of money?

Jason

Can't speak for the little get-togethers (though I attended one in Galena, IL some time back), but I've always thought that for all that gets set up, provided and the multi-nights of camping facilities, vendors, entertainment, etc., the MOA National Rally is an outstanding value. It could cost 50% more than it does already, and I still wouldn't feel 'cheated.'

Hope your smaller rally experiences turn out better in weeks to come. gsjay makes a compelling argument for where the $$$ goes. :thumb

I have quit going to rallies of any kind. Would rather go camping and riding with my wife.
There is an exception the BMW MOA Workers Rally in Gettysburg PA, rather than getting something we had to give something. Kudos to Sam Booth for having organized it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to agree that rally's are a great bargain. I do a lot of tent camping off the motorcycle, and a KOA one night stand will cost from $23 to $30 per night just to start off. Add in the food, and all the volunteer hours to set up the event, and I consider the events the best kept secret for summer travel adventure. I always try to schedule a tour around a rally, for the total value of the package, including the social interaction of meeting new friends. I find it hard to understand the entitlement position of many who attend a rally and complain about the value of the offering; but would encourage anyone who thinks a function could better provide an experience, to step up to the plate and become involved or re-involved ( if you used to help out 20 years ago, you might just be surprised how expensive things have gotten now in the present) to help out with stretching the dollar value further.....
To all of the folks who bust their butts to put on a rally, "THANKS" as I look forward to starting my 015 tour season at the Land of Oz rally and many more to go throughout the season.......

You obviously have never organized such an event!

$45.00 registration
Now sub track -
camping cost per night
Saturday Catered meal fee
Friday night Hotdogs, buns, etc.
Saturday morning Donuts
Food for Sunday breakfast
Firewood
Rally Pin
Plates, napkins, soda, Coffee, Creamer, and everything else that need bought
Insurance fee's

Members pay registration just like others attending and are illegible to win a door prize.

Where else can you spend a weekend for that kind of money?

Jason

I have not participated in putting on a rally and I appreciate those that do. It is, however, true that some organizers make a dollar go much further than others. But the real difference in rallies, in my opinion, is the degree of the welcoming atmosphere established by the organizers and regular attendees. To paraphrase Al Capone... You get more with a smile and a hotdog than with a hotdog alone.

I think sdpc2 asks a valid question. It's important to know what one supports and where the money goes in a small non-profit.

We just finished our local rally (thanks to everyone who came!! Hope to see you next year) and here are some of the things we spent money on that came from the $40 pre-registered folks paid:

I'm sure I'm missing a lot.
We use private land so instead of a fee to the owners, we pay utilities for the time we are there.
Paint for the signs we used to direct people in (they have to be repainted every few years...this was that year)
All the food for meals, snacks, etc. for 150 people for 3.5 days (Hotdogs, hotdog buns, condiments, onions, chilli, potato chips, nacho chips, cheese, salsa, jalapenos, watermelons, danish, muffins, all the things that go into white chicken chilli, bbq pork, hamburger buns, and stuff I'm forgetting)
Things to put the food on/in (Plates, bowels, plastic trays)
Things to eat the food with (forks, spoons, knives)
Things to drink (coffee, tea, water, hot chocolate, hot tea)
Things to put the drinks in (coolers with pour spouts, coffee pots, hot water kettles)
Things to drink out of (styrofoam cups, plastic cups)
Things to wipe up your messes (napkins, paper towels, etc)
Cleaning supplies to clean the things we use to cook
Cleaning supplies to clean the showers daily
This year we had to replace some of the cookware we use to make the things people eat
Tickets for the prizes someone else wins
The prizes someone else wins. We spent a bit over $150 this year (that stuff isn't all donation these days)
Baggies for all the registration stuff
Arm bands
The registration paperwork
Insurance
Tents to house registration and to give people shaded places to congregate.
Things to store durable goods in until next year
Tables to sit at
Chairs to sit on
Portable toilets
Firewood (Some of it sourced from the property some of it not)
Donation to Ride for Kids or the Foundation

All of this for the weekend cost attendees $40 ($50 at the door)

In contrast a few weeks ago I attended the Thumper Thaw F650 club rally (one of the most awesome virtual clubs by the way)
There was $0.00 Rally fee and we got nothing.
Camping cost me ~$45 and then another $40 or so in food.

Things start to have added costs when we talk about the hotel rallies like the Weekend Getaways. Nicer venues bring significant added costs. I thin kthey are still a value filled way to spend a weekend, but prices of events goes up every year.

Insurance
What if you shoot your eye out, kid? (OK not likely at a rally but you get the idea)
Yeah, they have to be covered for that.
I think I paid $33 at GR3 this year and that was without pre-registration discount.
That's pretty cheap entertainment AND I get to see folks I haven't in a while. That's worth the price of admission right there

I have not participated in putting on a rally and I appreciate those that do. It is, however, true that some organizers make a dollar go much further than others. But the real difference in rallies, in my opinion, is the degree of the welcoming atmosphere established by the organizers and regular attendees. To paraphrase Al Capone... You get more with a smile and a hotdog than with a hotdog alone.

What he said /\. +1

I am not much of a rally goer, it's been several years since I have been to one, but $45 for a Friday, Saturday night camping rally doesn't sound exorbitant to me. Two night camping fee at most private campgrounds will take care of the $45. If you're getting fed in addition to that for the entire time, sounds like a pretty good deal. Gotta face it, a dollar is not worth what it used to be.

Just attended my first rally, Mortons Spring Fling. The group ride, dinner and brilliant after-dinner speaker were worth every cent of my fifty bucks, without counting the vendors and the Friday night BBQ (20 bucks including free beer). Can't complain about a thing.

Thank you all for your input

I wonder what are the most significant costs of the rally? What costs have risen most dramatically over the past say 5-10 years?

Food
Paper products- utensils
Ice
Toilets
Trash
Firewood
Insurance

It's a big deal to put on a big show.
IMO, the quick- impromptu get-togethers are fun but tough to repeat. As the event grows, so do the costs at more than a one to one ratio.
OM

I think sdpc2 asks a valid question. It's important to know what one supports and where the money goes in a small non-profit.

We just finished our local rally (thanks to everyone who came!! Hope to see you next year) and here are some of the things we spent money on that came from the $40 pre-registered folks paid:

I'm sure I'm missing a lot.
We use private land so instead of a fee to the owners, we pay utilities for the time we are there.
Paint for the signs we used to direct people in (they have to be repainted every few years...this was that year)
All the food for meals, snacks, etc. for 150 people for 3.5 days (Hotdogs, hotdog buns, condiments, onions, chilli, potato chips, nacho chips, cheese, salsa, jalapenos, watermelons, danish, muffins, all the things that go into white chicken chilli, bbq pork, hamburger buns, and stuff I'm forgetting)
Things to put the food on/in (Plates, bowels, plastic trays)
Things to eat the food with (forks, spoons, knives)
Things to drink (coffee, tea, water, hot chocolate, hot tea)
Things to put the drinks in (coolers with pour spouts, coffee pots, hot water kettles)
Things to drink out of (styrofoam cups, plastic cups)
Things to wipe up your messes (napkins, paper towels, etc)
Cleaning supplies to clean the things we use to cook
Cleaning supplies to clean the showers daily
This year we had to replace some of the cookware we use to make the things people eat
Tickets for the prizes someone else wins
The prizes someone else wins. We spent a bit over $150 this year (that stuff isn't all donation these days)
Baggies for all the registration stuff
Arm bands
The registration paperwork
Insurance
Tents to house registration and to give people shaded places to congregate.
Things to store durable goods in until next year
Tables to sit at
Chairs to sit on
Portable toilets
Firewood (Some of it sourced from the property some of it not)
Donation to Ride for Kids or the Foundation

All of this for the weekend cost attendees $40 ($50 at the door)

In contrast a few weeks ago I attended the Thumper Thaw F650 club rally (one of the most awesome virtual clubs by the way)
There was $0.00 Rally fee and we got nothing.
Camping cost me ~$45 and then another $40 or so in food.

Things start to have added costs when we talk about the hotel rallies like the Weekend Getaways. Nicer venues bring significant added costs. I thin kthey are still a value filled way to spend a weekend, but prices of events goes up every year.

We've just finished our local rally and virtually all of the above applies to our event. We rent from a conservation authority rather than private land.

We have three nights of camping for $60.00.
We promised two evening meals but almost always feed our guests a third supper on Sunday night as well.
Propane for our two barbeques.
We buy a cord of firewood each evening to keep our bonfire going throughout the night.
We have a band that plays on Friday night and either a matinee on Saturday afternoon or evening (sometimes both).
We rent a school house on site so there are bathrooms within a few seconds walk from your tent. The showers a few minutes walk.
The school house also serves has a kitchen for final food prep and refrigeration. It also allows for a gathering spot if the evening is raining, or a place to roll out your sleeping bag if the night should be really cold.
Our grand prize is a motorcycle jacket - 3 three different sizes are kept on site for the proper fit for the winner.
Fresh muffins and coffee for breakfast.
Stationary for sign-ins and our dice run, draw prizes, etc.
Free ice cooled pop and water.

And despite having increased our fee by $10 this year, the rally still operated at bit of a loss. Long range forecasts this and last year for our rally weekends, were totally wrong which I am certain affected our numbers both years, and of course our bottom line.

Our rally fee breaks down to $20 per night. If you were to come to the same campground the same weekend, but not camp with us, you'd being paying $33 a night with no food, no entertainment, no prizes, and no camaraderie.

I am amazed when I read that some rallies have fees in the range of $35-$50. I have no idea how they break even. :scratch

We've just finished our local rally and virtually all of the above applies to our event. We rent from a conservation authority rather than private land.

I am amazed when I read that some rallies have fees in the range of $35-$50. I have no idea how they break even. :scratch

We loose money every year!
But come on out and join us......
www.lhbmwr.com look for the campout tab.

Jason

Anyone know of any BMW rallies in New England?
The Yankee Beemers site is a good source for events-
http://www.yankeebeemers.org
We have a forum that you don't have to be a member to join but many do to support the cause :buds
If you would like to join the forum, you can look at the page from the above link and that will get you through the verification question on the registration page......and I will check you in.
If you need help, you can send me a private message here and I'll help you out.
Gary

Back