• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2006 National in Vermont

Mark,

Good question but,

with all the rooms avaliable near by there won't be 8000 at the Fairground!

And with Carmi being a god 50 mile commute I doubt if many will try that option. Commuting really limits your intake at the beer hall :beer

I'm thinking I'll do as I have in the past, Camp at the fairground, but get 1 room somewhere off site that I'll share with my club members to use as a pit stop! Shower, toilet and A/C / pool if needed! We really liked having a pool last year in Lima.

jason

Skip the slab

:bolt For those of us landlocked in the Midwest here is a route to think about to the rally: Duluth, Thunder Bay, around Superior then south to Essex Junction on Canada 17 is a GREAT route! I rode a lot of it to Trenton and will do it again to VT.

Great land scape, friendly people, and touring in a foreign country what could be better, eh?

gsjay said:
with all the rooms avaliable near by there won't be 8000 at the Fairground!

And with Carmi being a god 50 mile commute I doubt if many will try that option. Commuting really limits your intake at the beer hall :beer

Good point!

gsjay said:
I'm thinking I'll do as I have in the past, Camp at the fairground, but get 1 room somewhere off site that I'll share with my club members to use as a pit stop! Shower, toilet and A/C / pool if needed! We really liked having a pool last year in Lima.

Can I join your club?

rooms

Mark,

Sure you can join our club....................$20.00 cash at the rally and you're in!

I'd like to expand on my point about getting a room to share with friends; even though we like to camp at the rally site.

We've done this for the past couple of Nationals. In Charleston after the storm blew through we all (6-8) used the room the night of the storm and one of our members used it the rest of the trip cause her tent was trashed! Cramped but dry!

In Lima we had the same plan, and although the Storm didn't get us the HEAT did! It was nice to have a room 3 miles away with A/C and the pool. We rode over each afternoon and got freshened up and jumped in the pool and enjoyed the A/C!

So, there really is no reason for folks to complain about the dirty showers or the TOO HOT weather etc. If you can't deal with dirty showers or hot weather do something about it! Get a room.

From what I saw as far as rooms in Vermont there will be dorms cheap enough you don't even need to share, get one for yourself just to have a private shower!

No more whining about the weather or the dirty showers.

Jason

Dormitory?

gsjay said:
Mark,

I'd like to expand on my point about getting a room to share with friends; even though we like to camp at the rally site.

We've done this for the past couple of Nationals. In Charleston after the storm blew through we all (6-8) used the room the night of the storm and one of our members used it the rest of the trip cause her tent was trashed! Cramped but dry! Jason

Don't most motels frown on this sort of activity? One person rents a room and eight sleep , shower and use the pool? I don't think I would have the cohoonas to do that.

Offically they might or do not like such practices.

But, we're discrete about it. We also don't trash the room, leaving it neat & tiddy.

And we don't ususally have more than 6 sharing, and if they each shower once a day; is it really any worse than showing up at a motel with a wife and 2 teenage daughters?

I'm pretty cognizant of the point you're trying to make, and normally I'm with you but I don't feel guilty at all of letting a few of my friends take a shower in an overpriced motel room.

6 showers don't cost any where near what the big motel chains are charging, and in New England it will be an even bigger ripe off!

Jason

i was thinking motel for showers too, but now that i'm still thinking about it, i think the best bet is a bar of soap and a nice ride into the vermont woods to find a water spring :)

enjine said:
i think the best bet is a bar of soap and a nice ride into the vermont woods to find a water spring :)

In July? Brrrrrrrrrrr. Have you heard about "shrinkage"?

fuyusan said:
:bolt Canada 17 is a GREAT route!

Anyone know what the traffic is like on 17?

We plan on taking the "Southern" Northern route, across Northern WI, the UP to Sault Ste. Marie and 17 East (time somewhat a factor).
Any suggestions on a border crossing? The Canadian border site has some kind of ridiculous projected wait times for some of the crossings, like Ogdensburg.

Also think I'll spring for a passport, since it's likely I'll need it before long to cross a border anywhere anyway.
(yea, i know, "paranoia strikes deep, into your mind it will creep")

And... anybody know about the dorm rooms for rent?

Last edited:
Rally Stuff

Free showers will be available for all at the college's Phys Ed building. Best deal for camper's wanting to get off site for a shower.

My preferred Canadian crossings are Ogdensburg, NY; Morses Line, VT (Route 235); or East Franklin, VT (Route 108). A little further East is East Richford, VT (Route 105A). Of course there is always the crossings from New Brunswick (avoid the Calais crossing).

Josh Ascher
2006 Rally Co-Chair

Cross the border in Cornwall. Ogdensburg has a fairly long high grated bridge. If you are of faint heart and the wind is blowing you WON'T like it.

2006 Rally

:thumb :thumb My 18 yr old son on his '97-F650 and myself "00-R1150GS will be riding from Whidbey Island Washington, that's in the Seattle area for those who came to Spokane in 2004. That was our 4 hr ride. We're looking forward to a cross country ride and if we meet up with any one on the way??? the more the better.

Mark Baker

"Ogdensburg has a fairly long high grated bridge. If you are of faint heart and the wind is blowing you WON'T like it."

Personally, I love grated bridges. Ogdensburg is a neat one. So is the Mackinac bridge from the UP to lower Michigan, but you have to stay in the left lane to get the grated portion. I am looking forward to including Ogdensburg on my way to Vermont.

beamerbaker said:
:thumb :thumb My 18 yr old son on his '97-F650 and myself "00-R1150GS will be riding from Whidbey Island Washington, that's in the Seattle area for those who came to Spokane in 2004. That was our 4 hr ride. We're looking forward to a cross country ride and if we meet up with any one on the way??? the more the better.

Mark Baker

I was in your neck of the woods after the Spokane Rally, (Bainbridge Island, Wa.) Took the ferry over. Beautiful Area.
Would LOVE to join you going east, but work is demanding... :violin

lodging info

When will the lodging info be posted?

I can't find the list I picked up at last years national.

thanks,
Jason

gsjay said:
When will the lodging info be posted?

I can't find the list I picked up at last years national.

thanks,
Jason

It's probably too late already, just camp out with the moto-nomads. :clap

Bummer that its the same weekend as Laguna Seca. I already have tickets!

Back