• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2006 National in Vermont

any chance there will be some gs adv type rides/sections at the rally? I did a ride through ct,nh,vt nys this summer ,the roads were GREAT! but wouldnt mind a little adventure off the betten path.[some one with local knowledge so it would be ridable on a 1150gs] just a thought .

06 National off road riding

Absolutely!

Michael Friedle
BMW MOA Ambassador
BMW MAO Board of Directors
BMW MOA International Rally Co-Chair 99, 03, 06

06 VT dirt riding opportunity

OK, that is the real Friedle writing above post. Not really sure why my little picture thingy didn't come up with the original post. Maybe my computer is still asleep this early in the morning.

Friedle

That looks like the ride all right!

Vermont to Idaho- Idaho to Paonia- Paonia to Vermont....:ha

Nothing beats a good excuse to ride cross-country in the summer-

-'cept maybe three good excuses! :beer

The fairgrounds in Essex will make a great starting point for some great riding- upstate NY, Vermont, NH, and W. Mass are ALL full of fine twisties.
('twas very nice seeing you all there, btw!)

(STILL no martini smilie??)

How did the meeting to at the Exposition Center?
Any major news?
gsjay

Michael Friedle said:
Please have a little patience. There's plenty of time before 20-23 July 06 for us to share LOTS of information about the cool things to see and do in Vermont. We will encourage you to come early and stay late so that you will have enough time to do half the things you're going to want to do while visiting the finest motorcycle roads in the Northeast.

If you have the time, there will be a BMW MOA Board of Directors meeting on 15 Oct 05 at the Rally site, the Champlain Valley Exposition in Essex Junction, VT. A site "walk about" will take place at 0900, with the open session of the Board meeting to follow. Any BMW MOA member or interested party is invited to attend.

Michael Friedle
BMW MOA Ambassador
BMW MOA Board of Directors
BMW MOA International Rally Co-Chair 99, 03, 06

"VERMONT, It's Not Flat"

The best tidbit I've heard is the reservations at an off-site campground for early arrivals. Sunday! That could be more fun than the real thing with a smaller gathering. I'm a day away and might take the week off!

Greetings,

The site tour and meeting last Saturday was to introduce the facility to our members and give the BOD a chance to see the site.

We will be updating the rally page for November first. In the interim I offer the following on the pre-rally camping.

We have reserved an entire Vermont State Campground for the exclusive use of rally attendees from Monday through Wednesday. The campground is the Lake Carmi State Park

We have done this because the rally starts Thursday morning. The gates will open on Wednesday at noon for folks who want to get setup early so they can jump into seminars and rally activities first thing Thursday morning. Prior to noon Wednesday access will be restricted to setup volunteers. This is part of our contract with the facility and a safety issue as well.

We encourage you to come early and stay late; however you will not be able to come to the rally site before noon Wednesday unless you are on the volunteer list. The camping at Lake Carmi is in many ways better than the camping on site (think state park vs. large fairground) and there are small markets close at hand and larger stores by the interstate. If you arrive at the rally site before noon Wednesday you will be given a map to the campground along with a list of hotels and other campgrounds in the area. We have reserved Carmi to provide a very inexpensive place for our early arrivals to camp together prior to the opening of the gates at noon on Wednesday.

The camping at Carmi will be managed by the State; there will be no services other than camping and clean rest-rooms (with showers) on site. The camping price will be under $5 per person per night for Monday-Wednesday night on the ground and $6 per night in a lean-to. You can also reserve a site for the weekend before the rally by contacting the state of Vermont directly. As there will be no reservations accepted for any sites during our event there is no reason that if you arrive Friday that you would have to move on Monday.

The campground is approximately 40 miles north of the rally site. It is quite large and has a beach and day use area that will be open to the public while we are there. The closest town, Enosburg Falls, is 6 miles from the campground.

We selected Carmi because we want to welcome you to Vermont and offer a recommended spot for folks who would like to come early. There will be printed material on rides including many GS routes and other suggestions on great places to go. We will be making sure Vermont businesses are aware of the rally and encourage them to place discount coupons at the campground or host events that may appeal to our visitors.

As always the rally would not be a success without your help. We will be posting a list of committee chairs on November 1st. If you have an area of expertise or specific committee you would like to help out please contact the chair directly. If you would like to help out but are not sure when and where please send a note to volunteer.06rally@bmwmoa.org. Please indicate if you would like to come early to help setup what we hope will be a great event. Bear in mind that setup involves tasks such as hanging signs, assembling the stage, setting up the beer garden and opening registration to name a few. We can always use help with these critical tasks.

We are excited about having the International Rally in Vermont and are looking forward to a great time come July.

Best,

computer newby

I am a local sugarmaker that rides a GS along with local farmers and loggers.
We are planning to take visiting GS riders on some adventure tours(class 4 roads) to demonstrate that Vermont is not all ice cream and teddy bears.
We don't know if there would be any interests. A rough plan would be to go on these rides either before or after the rally and follow up the rides with a pig roast later. Is there any interest?

class 4 road is an unused unmaintained road that is still on the books of the town records. They can be anything from a current driveway to a creekbed.

I live on a class 4 road. I don't have a GS, but is there really anybody who's not interested in a pig roast? :eat

HA! and I'm right down the street, too! :clap

PS: thought that might be you Jack- I was in Essex, sorry I missed you. Send me your email and we can blow this popcorn stand!

Last edited:
Rob Nye said:
Greetings,

The site tour and meeting last Saturday was to introduce the facility to our members and give the BOD a chance to see the site.

We will be updating the rally page for November first. In the interim I offer the following on the pre-rally camping.

We have reserved an entire Vermont State Campground for the exclusive use of rally attendees from Monday through Wednesday. The campground is the Lake Carmi State Park

Both an excellent facility and a GREAT place to ride! I was really glad I had the opportunity to get up there. The campground is beautiful with lots and lots of trees (shade) paved roads to each of the sites, and terrific views of the lake.

For those of you that can't take enough time off work to get out to the RA in Boise and Top of the Rockies in Paonia, should plan on taking at the very least a full week... scoot up to Carmi and chill before the hubbub of the National... Smoooooth! YES! I only wish I could be up there doing it too!

The Fairgrounds is a good site for the Rally itself with AIR CONDITIONED vendor and seminar buildings... AND, I was told, the largest toilet in the state! Of course, I had to ask if that was one single toilet of very large proportions or a large facility with many toilets... I will let you get there to find out what the answer was!! :boldpurpl

78769 said:
I am a local sugarmaker that rides a GS along with local farmers and loggers.
We are planning to take visiting GS riders on some adventure tours(class 4 roads) to demonstrate that Vermont is not all ice cream and teddy bears.
We don't know if there would be any interests. A rough plan would be to go on these rides either before or after the rally and follow up the rides with a pig roast later. Is there any interest?

Patience, there will be a ton of interest as more people find out about this. Just plan it. You might want to post about it at a couple related sites.

www.trailpilgrim.com/forums
www.advrider.com/forums

Have fun with it, and sorry I will be out west at the time.

06 Intl Rally info

Hello 78769,

Assuming that is not your VT Correctional Facilities inmate number, yes we would be interested in having you plan a GS ride, or series of rides, for the 06 International Rally. BTW 78769, who are you? My Mom told me not to accept maple sugar candy from a stranger

All ride submissions, interesting sites to visit and things to do that you might want to share with others attending the 06 VT Intl Rally may be submitted to me at mfriedle@bmwmoa.org Muriel Farrington, the editor of the BMW Motorcycle Owners of Vermont newsletter (the MOVer), will be compiling all the material for placement on our webpages as well as in the issues of the ON. You can cc Muriel when you send stuff to me at mmfarrington1@juno.com

This WILL be a rider's rally!

Michael Friedle

VERMONT, It's Not Flat

Here's where it is:

champlain-valley-expo.jpg

Got the picture?
:)

Coming from Fort Worth, TX

Wife and I just made the booked our time off for this Rally. It will be our first. It is 29 hours and 10 minutes per MapQuest.

Pig goes really well with Salsa!!! :buds

Matt & Ramona

3,038 mi (about 2 days 4 hours) straight from Chula Vista, but I am thinking of going north into Canada then East. Definitely looking longer than 2 weeks.

Back