• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2006 National in Vermont

Belquar said:
That was a good episode, but seeing the goo that comes out of the vats afterwards.... :sick

But hey....as long as the brew tastes good. Guess they aren't serving that goo.
"That goo" is yeast and some assorted barley protein. It can go into making brewers yeast extract, bakers yeast, can be used as an additive in feed and for the Brits and Aussies, marmite/vegemite. It's high in protein and B vitamins.

Also the presence of that goo in homebrewed beer is why homebrew doesn't cause as bad a hangover as commercial brew. Good for ya!

enjine said:
Birkshire Brewing Company was a fav of mine went i went to school up in western mass. i'll have to see if i can find some jugs of that stuff while heading up to the rally!

i live in amherst (i'm assuming thats what you meant by "school up in western mass") and i currently have some steel rail in the fridge

best east coast beer in my opinion

Total Distance: 1406.7 Miles
Estimated Total Time: 32 hours, 5 minutes

Myself and a Friend are travelling From St. John's NL. This will be our First Rally. We checked out Americade last year.....not much there for BMW'S. Really looking forward to the trip.

Amherst it was!

and i'd love a Bueno y Sano (sp?) right now!

I'll definitely have to pick up some BBC and share it with you BZ!
Looking forward to it!

GPS Coordinates

KBasa said:
Bingo. Garmin needs a decimal format.

I looked at the address for the Vermont Rally and mapped it out in MapSource and noted the following GPS coordinates: N44 29.728 W73 07.343. These coordinates put you at the address listed below. The GPS coordinates listed in the following address puts you in the southern section of the Burlington Airport. Did anyone else get the same results or am I doing something wrong? :banghead

Champlain Valley Exposition Center
105 Pearl Street (Route 15)
Essex Junction, VT 05453
GPS: 44?? 28'N, 73?? 9' W

Jim

jjlawrence said:
I looked at the address for the Vermont Rally and mapped it out in MapSource and noted the following GPS coordinates: N44 29.728 W73 07.343. These coordinates put you at the address listed below. The GPS coordinates listed in the following address puts you in the southern section of the Burlington Airport. Did anyone else get the same results or am I doing something wrong? :banghead

Champlain Valley Exposition Center
105 Pearl Street (Route 15)
Essex Junction, VT 05453
GPS: 44?? 28'N, 73?? 9' W

Jim

Good, now I know I am NOT doing it wrong! Got the same thing-the airport.

jjlawrence said:
These coordinates put you at the address listed below. The GPS coordinates listed in the following address puts you in the southern section of the Burlington Airport.

If you follow your GPS to the site it will probably take you through downtown Burlington and every construction zone in the area. Not where you'll want to be on a hot summer day. We'll post good directions for you at later times as we know where the zones will be.

Garmin MapSource

Why don't you use manual routing to fine tune how you want to get there. Auto routing may not necessarily be scenic or preferred.

I am creating draft routes in Microsoft Streets & Trips, because it's easy to drag a point and put it on a different street, and it recalculates. Once I'm done finalizing couple of routes, then I'll do them in MapSource. Too bad MapSource doesn't allow you to do drag-and-drop like MS Streets & TRips.

Today, I looked up Canada Trans-Hwy (RT 17) from Sault Ste. Marie to Ottawa close up using Google Earth, and it's not bad. But some one posted that it's a pain to take 17. I know a friend, who's a trucker, he said 17 is pretty much a single lane, but once in a while it'll have more and then resume to be single. He said it is pretty, but can get slow.

I think, I'm very excited about taking the Canadian route. I'm in Chicago area, and most likely make a stop over in Sudbury.

Has anyone worked out their route plans yet? I'm nervous about the Ogdensburg bridge ... long, high, grated and wind. Are the winds strong? Can you fall off the bike. How many lanes are their? I checked, and found it to be about 1.5 miles long above water then about 1 mile each side above the ground. I take it that this'll be a one-in-life-time experience, so I'm interested, but then I'm also nervous.

Satelite reception

Does anyone know the quality of GPS satelite reception when travelling on Trans. Canada Hwy (RT17) from Sault Ste. Marie (in fact even Northern Wisconsin) through - Sudbury, Northbay, going towards Ottawa?

I've got 2610 without any additional antenna.

Hey Montauk,

Since the 24 GPS satelites revolve around the earth, covering the entire surface, your reception should be the same anywhere on the surface, in theory. If you are in a city with tall buildings, you will lose signal on many satelites, since you will only be able to "see" straight up. Canyons can cause the same problem, as can heavily forested areas. Last summer I lost signal in the redwoods.

If the trees don't hang over the road, I wouldn't think you would have any problem with the built-in antenna. I have always gotten good signal with my GPS III+ on northern Wisconsin roads thru the forests. Paved US & State hwy roads, not the logging roads. Never tried those with the GPS.

Hope this helps.

tb

Vt 06

Montauk said:
Does anyone know the quality of GPS satelite reception when travelling on Trans. Canada Hwy (RT17) from Sault Ste. Marie (in fact even Northern Wisconsin) through - Sudbury, Northbay, going towards Ottawa?

I've got 2610 without any additional antenna.

The GPS reception in Canada is acceptable, but you have to convert all lattitude and longitude readings into the metric system. :brow

Friedle

Tom:

Thanks. After reading your note on satellite, it dawned upon me, that it's the tall buildings, and open space should have no problem. Thanks, for the info. You just saved me some money :bliss

Friedle:

Why do I have to convert longitude and lattitude reading in metric? Aren't they the same, except some will take degrees/minutes/seconds, or decimal's, or +/- instead of N/W. The numbers should be the same.

But then again, once I plan out a route in my Garmin unit through MapSource, I should be good to go. I shouldn't have to reconfigure my unit to use format that is different from what I have while in the USA. Unless there's a catch here that I didn't get it.

Local beer at the rally.....

KBasa said:
I sure hope so. I love Otter Creek, Catamount, Long Trail and darn near everything brewed up there. :bottle

While you're in town, don't miss the Vermont Pub n Brewery in downtown Burlington- it's right across from the park, easy parking all around. They have some of the best local brew you'll find, including a smoked porter that's my personal favorite anywhere! :drink (remember to ask if they have it "hand-drawn" from the cask today, and pick up a couple "growlers" to bring back to the rally!):beer

They also have a very nice pub menu, good lunch n dinner fare at very reasonable $$ :eat

Plus the waitresses are really cute.:twirl

You Beer drinkers keep in mind that VT. has Very stong DRINKING & DRIVING law's........................... Get a 4 wheeler & DD.

I was never good a Drinking & riding 2 - wheels............

HAVE FUN :drink

Beer drinkers

:bar
Of course, it's never a good idea to drink, then ride. But riding then drinking is ok! :drink
The Pub sells a sampler of their suds, an ounce or so of each. :beer
You pick your favorite over lunch, and bring a couple growlers home with you- a growler is a half-gallon jug, about $7, and you get $2 back for the empty return... :bottle

Back