• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2006 National in Vermont

06 Rally

Thanks Marilyn,
Its never too early to start planning for next year.

Elliot
97 R1100R
05 HD Electra Glide

GSing in Vermont

The BMWMOV will be running a special edition of The Puppy Dog Ride (see September 2004 ON) from Lake Carmi State Park. We plan a hero section of two for those who want a bit more challenge. The Puppy Dog Ride is a mostly dirt ride from Canada to Massachusetts. Most dirt roads are maintained, with an occasional Class IV road or two thrown in. The hero sections may have logging roads or Class IV roads in *really poor* shape. And, yes, the Puppy Dog Ride includes the (not so) floating bridge.

Muriel

day trip?

Muriel,

Is this a day trip or an overnight event?

Where do you stay if overnight?

Jason

Jason - The Heifermeister and Ray Atwood and John Thurber will be finalizing all plans. We historically have stayed at Alice State Park, about half way, but I believe there's talk of returning north each night. But, the most important thing is that the maps will be available, and small groups can do their own thing. We've always camped, but there are places along the way; most state parks have shelters as well as campsites.

Something I probably didn't mention yesterday is the hero sections will be optional - people not into the rough and tumble can stay on graded roads. Also, for those into the rough and tumble, Ray Atwood has route-sheeted most of northern Vermont. I believe he'll have those route sheets available. Don't know if anyone has done GPS coordinates for those routes, but it's fun to ride the old-fashioned way :)

Muriel

Date query

Just for greater certainty.... when it is said that the rally is July 20-23 that means that we can sign-in on the 19th, the fun begins of the 20th and the 23rd is travel home day, right? I just want to make sure that I get the accomodation reservation right.

Thanks
mike

bmwroadsterca said:
Just for greater certainty.... when it is said that the rally is July 20-23 that means that we can sign-in on the 19th, the fun begins of the 20th and the 23rd is travel home day, right? I just want to make sure that I get the accomodation reservation right.

Thanks
mike

Mike,

You are correct.

The gates will open on Wednesday, July 19th at noon with seminars, events and vendors commencing on the morning of the 20th. The 23rd (Sunday) is a clean up day.

Rob Nye said:
The gates will open on Wednesday, July 19th at noon

Rob,

Nice to see the gates opening on Wednesday, but will we still have the "requirement" that they volunteer for a shift if they get in early? I have known for many a National that one should volunteer for a fun rally job and get on site way before the crowd. Even if people are not required to help out if they get in early, I would hope that the suggestion that they volunteer would still be in place. Some of by best rally memories are related to my experience as a Rally Worker!

:clap

Absolutely!

Ya know some of the best friends I have made through the MOA were introduced to me at the National while we were helping out.

There is something about being one of the hosts that is great. No matter what you do or how long you do it if you help out you are one of the many hosts that welcome thousands of beemerphiles to the rally.

Without hosts there is no party. :dance

Best,

Rob Nye

Pricing at Lake Carmi

Hi, everyone!

I'm a new R12GS owner, and this will be my first rally ever. I'm a bit addled.

Rob Nye's post mentioned a very low fee for campers ($5 or someting equally ridiculous). This, I assume, does not cover the fee of the actual campsite, lean-to, or cabin. Am I correct in this assumption?

Mack Harrell

Carmi is already full?!

I just tried going through the process to reserve a campsite at Lake Carmi. Every alternative came up with the same result "There are no campsites available."

Is this because the camp has been sold out already? Or, perhaps, because the whole camp has been reserved by BMW MOA? If the latter, how do we reserve a campsite?

Please help!

Mack Harrell

Mack,

You are wrong! ;)

The price you heard is correct, camping at Carmi will be under five bucks per person on a tent site. I need to check on lean to sites; I think they will be an extra dollar per person.

Normally you need to pay per site which is either 16/18 bucks for a tent site or 23/25 for a lean to. The difference is lake side or not. The base rate allows four people per site, additional (up to 8) campers have an additional per-person fee.

For the time we have the exclusive use (Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights) campers will be paying per person instead of per site, which is how we got you this rate.

Here is a map of the campground. The areas marked red are prime camping at the higher rate. You can view a larger image by visiting the
Lake Carmi State Park website.

45988797-M.jpg

If you have your heart set on a specific site the only way to guarantee you will be camping there is to reserve the site for the weekend before our exclusive use starts, otherwise it is first come first served. Reservations are not being accepted for the period of our exclusive use, otherwise we could end up with the Black Sheep next to the Church Ladies. :doh

Best,

Carmi rates?!

Thanks for the clarification, Rob.

Okay. I'm in the process of reserving a tentsite. The price is $70 for Thursday through Sunday. They want to bill this to my Visa, etc.

How do I tell them that this isn't according to the BMWMOA agreement?

mackharrell said:
Thanks for the clarification, Rob.

Okay. I'm in the process of reserving a tentsite. The price is $70 for Thursday through Sunday. They want to bill this to my Visa, etc.

How do I tell them that this isn't according to the BMWMOA agreement?

Okay... I think I'm figuring this out. :banghead

I pay full rate Thur-Sunday, but Monday-Wednesday the BMW MOA rate. What do we do for Thursday-Saturday?

Camping

mackharrell said:
Okay... I think I'm figuring this out.
I pay full rate Thur-Sunday, but Monday-Wednesday the BMW MOA rate. What do we do for Thursday-Saturday?

Here is a suggested camping scenario:

Come to Vermont early to enjoy the riding in the area. You may camp anywhere that week, however - if you want to camp at Lake Carmi, the BMW MOA has reserved a place for you & covered part of the cost) at Lake Carmi on Mon through Wed, July 17, 18, & 19.

Note: If you arrive at Lake Carmi before Monday, July 17th, you are on your own to find [& pay for] a site.

The rally starts on July 20th. Pack up your camping gear, and move to the rally site in Burlington on Wednesday afternoon (July 19th) or Thursday morning, the 20th.

Camp on-site with the rest of your brothers and sisters in the BMW MOA for the dates of the rally, July 20 through July 23. On Sunday morning, the 23rd, pack up your bike and go home, or continue your riding adventure.

Lake Carmi camping

The MOA has reserved the ENTIRE campground for Mon- Wed nights for the use of MOA members. That is why you can't make reservations through the VT computer reservation system. This is a very popular state park. The only way we could guarantee enough room for our attendees was to reserve the entire place for Mon-Wed nights, "checkout time" of 1100 on Thursday. We have left access to the swimming area open to the general public, but that is not directly connected to the camping area.

The VT Parks people will collect the nominal fee for the MOA member, or their guest's, use of the tent sites or lean-to sites or the two cabins for your stay. The fee structure is as follows: Cabin Sites- $10 per person per night. Four person/cabin/night maximum occupancy; Lean-to sites-$5 per person per night. Eight person/site/night maximum occupancy; Tent sites- $4.00 per person per night. Eight person/site/night maximum occupancy

There is plenty of room, showers, restrooms and a great swimming beach as part of the park. The entrance to the camping area as shown in Rob's graphic will be secured by VT Parks department personnel.

Watch the website and the pages of the ON for more details in the coming months.

Michael Friedle
BMW MOA Ambassador
BMW MOA Board of Directors
BMW MOA International Rally Co-Chair 99, 03, 06

VERMONT, It's Not Flat

mackharrell said:
Okay... I think I'm figuring this out. :banghead

Hey now,

The reason we have made arrangements at Carmi is to provide people who would like to spend some time in Vermont before the rally a place to camp and hang out together at a great rate.

Each rally site is different regarding the size of the set up crew along with other variables that determine how many people can be on-site when. For Vermont we contracted with the facility to open the rally to who ever wants to arrive on Wednesday at noon. Traditionally this earlier time was designated for people who were volunteering so they could get set up. In some past rallies the locals and the rally chair encouraged people to come early. As the rally has grown in size the number of people coming early has increased which in some cases added stress for both the volunteers and the site management.

Our arrangment with the site requires us to control how many people are on site before Wednesday, however we all would like to invite you to come to Vermont early which is why we made arrangements for the exclusive use of Carmi.

I would highly recommend that you come early and stay at Carmi until Wednesday and then re-locate to the rally site. This way you will be able to get the full rally experience and enjoy the beer garden, bands and your new friends without the obligation of a 40 mile back road ride home.

Best,

Hey Mack! :wave

The short version is the first part of the week at Carmi and then you move yourself and all your stuff over to the fairgrounds and camp there. The rally fee includes camping and rally admission, but you'll be on your own for food and beer or beverages.

See ya there!

dave

KBasa said:
The short version is the first part of the week at Carmi and then you move yourself and all your stuff over to the fairgrounds and camp there.

With all those people at the fairgrounds (over 8,000!) I wonder how many folks will stay at Carmi thru Saturday and just commute to the rally.

Back