Thread: K100 RS Dilemma

K100 RS Dilemma

I have an 88 K100.

I've had it since about 2006, but I just don't ride it any more.
    I've tried to sell it over the past 2 years, asking from 2K to 1800.00 with no luck.
    I recently had a mechanic look at it closely. Frankly the bike needs more work than I can ever put into it.
    I could take it apart and sell the bits, I guess... yet I don't have the skills or the tools, or the place to tear it apart and re-do it, or to take it apart to sell it...
    not to mention that if I cannibalize it, then I have a lump of scrap metal sitting in my driveway!

The two major bits of work it needs are
    the transmission- needs a full inspection, full lube job and probably main seal replaced.
    and
    front end- main head bearings.
    It's been sitting unridden for 2 years now, so it needs all fluids changed and a good close look at basically everything.
    It has what were brand new Metzlers on it, they have a couple thousand miles max on em- but as I was cleaning it up the other day, I found a screw in the back tire!

It has all the luggage, PIAA lights an Ohlins shock, a Parabellum windshield, & a Corbin seat that's seen better days.
    It was painted back in 07, box lids, everything. Cases are keyed to match ignition.
    It's been dropped so its a bit banged up.
    Once, it was knocked over (purposefully) by a 10 year old kid while I had it parked on the street outside my apartment! (little b*st*rd)
    I have the original seat (grey), most of a factory tool kit, and a Clymer manual.
    It has 54 000 miles on the odometer.

SO
    the *dilemma* is:
    what to do with this bike?

Last edited by bmwrider88; 05-22-2015 at 04:14 PM.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Sell me the shock, I'll even find an OEM to replace it

If you want it to go, takes lots of pics, advertise widely, and lower the price. With decent K1200RS bikes entering the $3,500 range it is just getting harder and harder to sell the older K bikes unless they are in spectacular shape.

Some years ago I had an e30 convertible, a '91 golden year with the updated body, in red with the factory BBS wheels. It needed a new top (badly), some body work and an army's length of maintenance work. I had been diligent with maintenance, but at 150k a lot of things get tired and need replacing. I advertised it on CL and a few e30 boards for $4k, then dropped the price $250 a week until it sold at $1,750. The guy who bought it restored it, looked GREAT after he was done, and I used the cash towards a K75RT. I don't regret at all (well, maybe a little) selling a car I no longer used, the bike has far more made up for it
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

I have been through the dilemma myself. I parted out a 1990 k75rt. When I had to move, the frame, engine and drive line went into the metal dumpster at the transfer station. Money wise I came out okay but it took hours of time on E-bay and the flea market. Go Luke I hope some one buys it and restores it.
    Harold In Kansas
    1985 K100RT Bullit
    1985 K100XX/EML Bemel

You've gotten good advice from Ted. Sell it whole, cheaply if you have to, and move on. The bike still has value to someone--as a fixer-upper, or base stock for a bobber, or an inexpensive sidecar tug. or just an enjoyable and affordable ride for as long as it lasts. Parting is a lot of time and effort, and the three most valuable bits on the bike are the bodywork, the ECU, and the ABS brain. Once those are gone the rest will likely take a long, long time to sell and you'll still end up hauling some to a metals recycler just to have it gone.

Best,

DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 K100RS (r.i.p.) -- 1995 R1100RSL (gone, never forgotten) -- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT

JohnWC
    I had never owned a K bike, but heard so many good things about the smoothness of the engine, durability, etc that I finally bought one. I then proceeded to put the usual $1000 in parts into it to get it back in shape. And you know what, it really is a very nice bike to own. Pretty smooth, starts and runs well, and very pleasant to ride. But I have since come to realize that K bikes have an extremely small audience of followers. They didn't sell that well when they were brought out to replace the R bikes, and things haven't changed. And I have to say I think the K100s are the absolute worst for resale. No one seems to want them. Pretty much a complete financial right off. I would suggest giving up hope of every unloading it for any reasonable amount of money. $500 and maybe some kid will take it. The only good thing is that once it is gone, even to the scrap yard, time will eventually cause you to forget the headache. Looking at it in your garage will just be an ongoing irritation. At this point I wouldn't even buy a new K bike. They are never going to sell well, new or used. BMW could give it up, and shut down the K assembly line.

Yeah I could probably et more money for the luggage and mounts, and the Ohlins shock. Might pull the PIAAs too and mount em on another bike sometime down the line.

I dunno... Gotta think about it.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

JohnWC
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider88 View Post
    Yeah I could probably et more money for the luggage and mounts, and the Ohlins shock. Might pull the PIAAs too and mount em on another bike sometime down the line.

I dunno... Gotta think about it.
    It's frustrating. Believe me, I know. But, if it's any consolation, you are sure not alone. On my local Craig's list, there are, as of today, 608 listings in the "Harley" category. And where I live, there is nothing but Harleys on the road. I can't for the life of me figure out how Harley can sell a NEW bike to anyone. Baffling. Motorcycles are like everything else in today's world: overproduced to the point of saturation. If I can ever get down to just one that I like, that's it. Then I'll ride it into the ground for 20 years.

It's a bit of a headache to part them out, I suppose. But looked at like a hobby, it might not be too bad. At least every dollar that comes back to you brings some satisfaction that it wasn't a total loss. Good luck on whichever road you choose.

cherry pick the good stuff, get it running and sell it for $1000.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up