Thread: BMW saddle bag repair

BMW saddle bag repair

Does anyone have a method for making black scuffed up saddle bags look decent?

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Go get a can on Krylon plastic specific paint, sand out any deep gouges with course sand paper and spray away.

If they are really banged up, spray on pickup bed liner works too.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

I have been working on fixing up the system cases on my 94 R1100RS. Some things I have found to help restore the finish are, as the previous poster commented, sand paper for the deep gouges and then a finer grit to bring back the smooth finish. I have also used a razor similar to shaving to smooth out any rough spots, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKHeZusdTTM . After all that I restored it to shiny by using an orbital polisher and compound.

I would say my bags are about a 7 on a scale from 1 to 10 and as I continue my restoration on the RS I will most likely use some of these same methods and add others.

The bags on the RS have bounced down the highway, been banged into garage walls, and under the bike. I would like to say that was due to previous owners but then my integrity would be in question.

m@
    94 R1100RS
    98 R1200C

More stickers
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    More stickers
    I have a whole box just in case I really mess it up.

m@
    94 R1100RS
    98 R1200C

In order to bring up a nice sheen on the saddlebags I use a product that the manufacturer claims to have no silicone in it. I had some on my garage shelf as I used it on my trucks tonneau cover. The product? Extang Tonneau Tonic. It will actually blend in the scuffs in the bag. Works for me.
    2000 R1100RT
    Niagara BMW Riders #298

BMWMCO #45

Quote Originally Posted by snookers View Post
    In order to bring up a nice sheen on the saddlebags I use a product that the manufacturer claims to have no silicone in it. I had some on my garage shelf as I used it on my trucks tonneau cover. The product? Extang Tonneau Tonic. It will actually blend in the scuffs in the bag. Works for me.
    Bought some after reading your post. Works pretty well to shine them up making the scratches disappear. (not totally but much less noticeable)