• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Digital Air Temp gauge?????

brownie

Dear Beemerfolk...................I'm lookin for a nice lookin' temp gauge that reads air temp (OAT).......looking for suggestions ...........TIA.......

I got the fomotion thermomenter (analog) from cycle gadgets.

It's got oil in it and its worthless. I get a bubble in the face and the temperature is not accurate. It's small - very difficult to read. I have it on my dash - wrong temp, but I can't see it so it doesn't matter.

You have to get it out of the sun, so where do you put it? I'd look at the digital if the sensor is out of the sun and you can see the numbers (in the sun).

From our friends at Aerostich

4632.jpg

Info galore in a compact, digital format that could fit nicely in your bikes' cockpit. Two thermometers incorporating a ice/freeze alert, a voltage meter, a three-LED battery condition meter, and a combination clock/stopwatch that operates in either 12 or 24 hour formats tells you a lot about your surroundings, the time, and the condition of your charging system. A 'black ice' alert flashes when that hazardous road condition threatens. Temperature minimums and maximums can be stored in memory and cleared easily. Measures 5.5" x 1" x .75". Price: $32.00

I've had one on the GS for a year and it works swell.

I think this one is the one for me!
Temp/Hum Gauge
$18.00
It reads outside temp as well as humidity.
(So you will know in advance if you are going to have scrape your boxers off)
Designed for use in reptile enviroment it shold hold up well on a bike.
I don't beleive rain is going to be an issue.

The same gauge in aerostich catalog is available at most truck stops for about half the price. If you get the chance you can stop by a T/A or Pilot truck stop and see what they have hanging on the wall.

I had a formotion model on my dash and it worked great. It always ended up reading about a 100?? after the engine warmed up so if you thought it was 70??, you just had to subtract 30 or if you thought it was 40?? you subtracted 60.

Seriously, I think when measuring outside temperature, it truly needs to be sensing just that. It really depends where the sensor part of the device is located. I'm sure the dash area must be picking up heat from various sources such as sunlight and engine heat rising.

The 05 1200RT has a temperature gauge and I believe it's part of a trip computer option ??? Most likely it has the sensor placed away from heat.

I'd love to have a gauge that works so I can tell you when conditions might present ice on the road and warn against excessive heat.

You got to love those gadgets

RTRandy said:
I had a formotion model on my dash and it worked great. It always ended up reading about a 100?? after the engine warmed up so if you thought it was 70??, you just had to subtract 30 or if you thought it was 40?? you subtracted 60.

Seriously, I think when measuring outside temperature, it truly needs to be sensing just that. It really depends where the sensor part of the device is located. I'm sure the dash area must be picking up heat from various sources such as sunlight and engine heat rising.

The 05 1200RT has a temperature gauge and I believe it's part of a trip computer option ??? Most likely it has the sensor placed away from heat.

I'd love to have a gauge that works so I can tell you when conditions might present ice on the road and warn against excessive heat.

I have one of those temperature gauges myself...reading the temperature of the cooled off radiator air flow...

Back