• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Albuquerque?

tallyho

Agent Provocateur
I'll be attending my niece's graduation in Albuquerque in a couple of weeks and decided to rent an iron horse for the day after. I'm looking for some suggestions for a day/lunch ride around the area. I get the bike about 9am so probably something no more than a 200 mile range that would have me back in town by 4:00pm to drop the bike back. Seems like there are quite of few options on the map but local intel and suggestions are always preferred.

Thanks, Bob

The Land of Enchantment is full of history if you are interested. Lincoln is south and Billy the Kid area, Santa Fe is a great place to visit, Madrid is just south of Santa Fe and is an interesting town, part of Wild Hogs was filmed there. Taos has the pueblo and is interesting to walk around.

Albuquerque is full of museums depending on your interest. Plenty of places to visit/ride depending on your taste/interest

I've been to Albuquerque many times and seen quite a bit of the area. However, I was looking for a specific riding route that might be popular with the locals. Thanks for your info. My interest if riding the local scenic routes with a good lunch stop in the middle of the day.

I-25 N to Santa Fe
NM 599 to bypass Santa Fe to US 285
(599 built so N-waste from Los Alamos, etc., wouldn't be transported through town on way to Carlsbad)
285 to 503 to Nambe (next exit after Los Alamos exit)
Past Nambe, left to Chimayo to NM 76
Left at Truchas to go to Penasco
Lunch at Penasco at Sugar Nymph's Bistro (check website for days open)
Then to 518, turn right
Ride past Sipapu Ski Area, site of annual NM BMW rally
On to Mora then on to Las Vegas and I-25 again. South
Exit US-285 south (Val Kilmer ranch country)
Exit NM 41 south toward Moriarity
At Gallesteo, right turn by the church to go to NM 14
South on 14 to I-40

Run up to Las Vegas and checkout the castle there and soak in the natural springs along side the road. Interesting town.

weather advice?

Your post suggests that you actually know what you're talking about. Could you give me some advice about traveling in the area during the next two months? I'm interested in seeing the Los Almos area as well as pretty much anything else interesting. Really, I just like to ride. I'll be coming from Northern Michigan. TIA

For a quick ride try going east on I40 and take a run up to Sandia Park to the top of Sandia Crest. Good curvy road up the eastern flank of the mountain, and the view at the top is outstanding. Walk the trail over to the High Finance Restaurant located at the top of the Tram and have lunch.

It will still be fairly warm the next two months, but rain protection is always a good idea. In higher elevations, of course, daytime temps vary significantly, i.e. pretty cold in early morning, pretty hot in afternoon.

Back