• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Windscreens - to use or not to use

I was reading Cliffy777's thread on earplugs and coincidentially I just added a BMW sport screen to my R1150R. The wind noise was horrible. I never used earplugs but had to use them after that. So I returned the sport screen for the touring screen thinking it would be better. I was wrong again. The wind noise is just as bad. So I'm trading off a chest full of wind for added ear noise. But with the touring screen, it feels like I'm being hit in the head with a mallet at highway speeds. I'm thinking of returning that screen as well. Does anyone have a recommendation for a windscreen where the noise is tollerable along with reasonable wind protection?

Thanks, I'm coming to the same conclusion. The R1150R was designed to be a naked roadster not a touring bike. It's a shame that BMW makes these windshields and leads its customers to think that you can get meaningful wind protection from these things. If I wanted a touring bike, I should have just bought one that was designed from the ground up and not try to retrofit the roadster.

They're "sport touring" windshields (in contrast to cruising windshields)

If you want less air try the RT (which is not a sport tourer - as per BMW)

I have both the touring and sport shields, and switch between the two depending upon what type of riding I am doing. There are a couple of options for windshields for you:

1. CeeBailey's makes several different sizes that use the BMW touring brackets.
2. Parabellum makes a barndoor windshiled that I hear is effective.
3. You can try the tiny flyscreen(some say it takes a little wind off of your chest, but is not noisy).
4. Try the BMW 380mm High shield. It is in the new accessory guide.

There are all types of opinions about windshields on www.R1150R.net .

109949 said:
It's a shame that BMW makes these windshields and leads its customers to think that you can get meaningful wind protection from these things.
I don't think BMW was ever deceitful when it sold the Roadster or the windscreens. They are windscreens; they screen wind, not noise. In fact, they generate noise, and not just on BMWs.

109949 said:
If I wanted a touring bike, I should have just bought one that was designed from the ground up and not try to retrofit the roadster.
Now you're talking. Of course, be prepared when you discover the quieter RT is a heavier ride with big expanses of expensive plastic. These trade-offs can rarely be resolved. The real answer is having more than one motorcycle. Now don't start griping about the price of garage expansions!

Fred

The R1150R for me has been very adequate and ADFFORDABLE
platform for fixing up as a "sorta GS/sorta RT." It allows me to ride
the Rockies nekkid after hauling butt on the highway three days to get there.
As far as windscreen, the short BMW flyscreen for the Roadster will
give as much protection as a stock K75S screen. In the midwest heat,
the ventilation is a good thing, and taking some wind to the upper body
counteracts the somewhat more prone seating position.
That being said, you must also factor that a "barn door" screen selected
for extra protection that is affixed to your handlebars WILL AFFECT
STEERING/HANDLING AT SPEED, unlike the example frame-mounted
K75S one or any just plain smaller model.
And noise? Ear plugs are just one more piece of safety equipment,
avoidable hearing loss is a complete waste.

I also ride an R1150R and had the same experience with the sport screen. I bought a Touring Screen and it was much better. The only time I experience bad buffeting is at highway speeds into a big diagonal and gusty wind, which is fairly rare. Its sufficiently rare that I can't remember the last time I felt it. I still get lots of that good clean air that I wanted to keep with the Roadster.

For me, the Touring Screen was the answer. BTW, I'm 6'0" with a 32" inseam and I use a Sargent saddle which is a bit taller than stock.

Did anyone try R1100R laminar lip?

I have a similar problem with my R1100R. I installed the factory screen a month ago so that I would be less cold in winter. I love the reduced air pressure at highway speeds. But even with earplugs the low frequency noise drives me nuts. And it causes fatigue. I thought about taking the screen off again, but it's mount is now the basis of my GPS, so I'd prefer to keep it. Did anyone try the laminar lip (www.laminarlip.com) with this screen? Or a similar solution?

Thanks,
Jacco

Back