• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Armature

scottnengel

I have a '65 r60/2 that has an armature that will not come off. It actually looks like someone previously tried removing it and the tool/bolt snapped off and is cockeyed in the end of the crank. Any thoughts on how to tackle this would be appreciated.
Thanks

This is a real bummer...it's going to be hard to remove the rotor. Not sure if you can get something like dental picks and poke around inside there and see if you can work the stuck object free somehow. Beyond that, I'm not sure I've heard of how people have gotten around this problem. It's desperate times I suppose. Maybe someone else could weigh in here, but I'm wondering if you got a fitting to screw into the threads that in the rotor, enough to hold it solid, and then pump grease through this fitting. It would push the rotor towards you off of the nose of the camshaft...which is what the rotor removal tool is supposed to do. After that, I'm wondering about a slide hammer...again, picking up the threads in the rotor. I was reading somewhere else that some have used a 3-jaw affair to pull the rotor off. This is really a no-no, but IIRC BMW had this procedure wrong early on and had some kind of tool that stood off of the front chest of the engine and then pushed/pulled the rotor off. Again, this is not something that should be tried but only as a last resort. Some of these more extreme measures may end up damaging the rotor requiring a replacement.

The correct removal tool can be bought at Cycleworks...it's a $10 rotor removal tool. As a standby, a specific length grade 8 bolt can be slid into the hold and then the original rotor bolt tightened down on this hard bolt. You seem to understand that the original owner didn't use a super hard bolt, instead of a soft one. Snowbum has a picture of a tool like that sold at Cycleworks about half way down on this page:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/tools.htm

Thanks for the quick response. I agree entirely with your recommended course of action. Ill try using some sort of pick tool but theirs so little room to work with. I do think the puller may be the most viable option. I'll give it a whirl and let you know how I make out.
Thanks again.

Back