• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Installing the Black Dog Cycle Works skid plate on a '14 R1200GSA

dtournas

It was a little bit chilly here in Colorado with high 20's during the day so we're spending a reasonable time in our garages fixing the bikes and getting ready for the riding season which should be starting in about... *looks at the calendar* 2 months... :cry:

Until we're on the road, we want to see some fixes, mods, goodies installations, time spent washing the bike, services, tire changes, anything. Here, I'll start:

It all started with a post on the GSGiants FB page and this horrific picture:
10422225_346097992261667_1656471228662577301_n.jpg

I decided it was time to replace my stock skid plate. So I went on the internetz, googled (when did that become a verb?) black dog cycle works and within a few days, I had a package!

zzK01FK.png

Let me start by telling you, the folks at Black Dog Cycle Works have made an EXCEPTIONAL product. But they could have spent a little bit more time writing the instructions... In their defense, I should have spent a little bit more time reading them before I started :roll:

So since my space in the garage is limited to non existing (you try to fit 4 bikes and a trailer in a one car garage), I decided the easiest way to work on the bike is to put it on the trailer so it is standing up and I can work under it. So I did. I was actually quite proud of myself!
HxK6UCn.jpg

FJlqnem.jpg

Then I started reading the manual:
1. Place bike on center stand (even if using a bike lift). This eases installation greatly.

77c.jpg

I guess I should have read the manual first, right? Oh well, off the trailer and back into the garage.

Step 1a: Remove the stock skid plate. Easy enough, take 5 bolts out (I have a '14 GSA).
2h8MOM8.jpg

Step 1b: Remove all related hardware as well but keep the 4 (four) stock M8x25 bolts.
iySyoCJ.jpg

yyYN26K.jpg

This is what you need to see before starting installing the BDCW hardware:
rDDeobw.jpg

Let's put the two skid plates side by side for comparison...
mVAisAL.jpg

hswwsdu.jpg

So as I mentioned earlier, I should have spent more time reading the instructions before I started. Therefore, there were several steps I missed. Such as the part that says "move the U-nuts into place AFTER you install the the front mount... This is what I did:
qz2cSwm.jpg

uvzH32Y.jpg

Well, the problem is that the tool that the BDCW people were kind enough to provide, will go through the hole but not through the nut...
S6aPiFC.jpg

nYWqqJK.jpg

After fixing my mistake, I easily installed the front mount and secured it using the stock M8x25 bolts:
L8ZetU8.jpg

JpwtoKH.jpg

WEp7rZN.jpg

yFJzTUJ.jpg

So just when I thought this was the most challenging part of the installation, I then moved to installing the following... First step is to install the plastic wire loop around the two cables by the exhaust flapper:
DiEsLXi.jpg

VwVQcZC.jpg

Then, I took a break to clean up my mess and change my gloves because mild OCD that's why!
jlkdiCi.jpg

This is how it is supposed to look like:
onOZEC9.jpg

Then I spent a good 10 minutes trying to figure out where the "round frame tube" is... Apparently they good people at BDCW meant this doohickey:
vRMavVC.jpg

CLJ5nSc.jpg

And just when I thought that installing the plastic wire loop was the hardest step, here comes the rear stand and the hose clamps :cry: God, I hate these things! This is the one part of the instructions you HAVE to follow methodically. Once you put them, it should look like this:
ogM4IHy.jpg

CCRMkFe.jpg

And now for the fun... Following the instructions given, you need to slide the rear mount so that the top part goes under the hose clamps. No, not a joke. Here's what it should look like (took me a good 20 minutes):
zXgWVjp.jpg

zI4UkM3.jpg

c9kY6Kh.jpg

Remember I said earlier that the guys at BDCW did a exceptional job creating the product? Look at this detail:
pXY1FVS.jpg

So here we have it, ready for the last 4 screws:
ZVQbZyq.jpg

wn8M9Cc.jpg

bm9rojr.jpg

PKXXUH6.jpg

TIP OF THE DAY: Clean the bike before installing the new skid plate, otherwise chunks of whatever like this will probably fall on your face. Just like it happened with me...
mOvkolZ.jpg

Final product:
M3Duuiv.jpg

oxz2GBK.jpg

5HltGkw.jpg

It took me a bit less that 3 hours. But remember that:
a. I don't like manuals
b. I don't have maintenance experience
So if a newb like me was able to install it, you'll be fine too.

Generally, the product feels and looks superior. I'm very happy with my purchase. Now I just have to wait to try it!

Another nice job :thumb
Thanks again for the effort!
This skid plate DIY will join your other effort in the Wethead index.
Gary

No images

Either it is on my end or something happened as all the images you posted of the install are gone.

Back