• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Patch, plug or replace flat tire on my R1150RT?

joebiker

Any recommendations on whether to patch, plug or just replace a rear tire on my R1150RT? The tire is hardly worn. I found the cause of the flat was a screw directly through the middle of the tire, not near the sides. I was advised by the shop just to replace the tire. For my car, I always carry a plug kit just in case, I guess I should look at my options for the bike.

Any advice I can get before spending a few hundred bucks on a new tire would be appreciated. Thanks.

Joe

I have

a plugged tire on the rear of my Triumph Trophy and it is doing just fine. I picked up a nail near Orlando, Florida last fall and used a string plug to patch the nearly new tire. I rode the bike to Arkansas and then back to Ohio and have put 3000 miles on the tire since the fix with no issues. My Trophy has a tire monitoring system plus I keep close tabs on my tires, always have, always will. I guess it comes to whatever gives you the most peace of mind. If you are asking advice, I say change the tire.

On a tire like you describe, I plug with a good quality plug. The best are the ones that are pulled out from the inside but have plenty of the ones that look like a Parodi cigar. :jose
Like Navy Dad said, it's your comfort level that is the most important.
OM

Responses to your question will fall into two camps. One, never trust a patched tire more than to get you home, and a good patch is fine to ride on.

I have holed and replaced tires and holed/patched and continued to ride on tires. It just kind of depends on what the hole was like and how much life is left in the tire.

One note, if you are going to keep using the tire do not use a non-glued type plug.

Thanks

Thanks for the advise, I'm going to plug the tire for the time being, since I'll have to get it to the shop for some other work anyway. I'll have them look at it and I'll replace the tire then if it's questionable. I never gave flats much consideration in the past while riding, since this is my first. From now on I'll keep a tire repair kit in my tool bag.

You bet :thumb
There are a couple of other factors I forgot to mention such as- "did it go flat in the garage?" or "did it go flat at 70 mph" and was actually ridden a mile to stop in a safe place. Damage to the carcass after the flat has a safety factor as well.
OM

Thanks for the advise, I'm going to plug the tire for the time being, since I'll have to get it to the shop for some other work anyway. I'll have them look at it and I'll replace the tire then if it's questionable. I never gave flats much consideration in the past while riding, since this is my first. From now on I'll keep a tire repair kit in my tool bag.

The shop will say replace. Dealers stopped patching motorcycle tires in this country many years ago. I also know that some of those same pulled off tires find there way on to shop employee bikes.

Plug or patch

Straight nail hole? Patch from the inside with a pull through type plug. I have repaired many tires this way on both cars and bikes. Never had a post-repair failure. Pulling the tire to install the patch also allows the tire to be examined for any damage to the carcass.

I picked up a screw in the rear tire on my R1100rt while on a trip. Plugged it on the road. A few weeks later, the tire was still holding air and I forgot about it. Ended up riding on it for a year, until it was time for new tires.

Plug it to continue on.
Then have the tire removed and have a pull thru patch installed by a reputable tire shop at the earliest possible time.

Two weeks after installing a rear tire I notice while going around a curve near my house the bike didn't feel Right. Pulled into garage and checked air pressure...12lbs in the rear. Found a 2 inch safety clip deep into the tire, &$@!#?): frigging luck. Ok, so I'll shove a couple gooie strings in there until I can get a new tire...9000 miles later maybe it's time for that tire now. I have used gooey strings since I was a mechanic back in the seventies and I have trusted them with my life.

I plugged a tire Saturday night at the Blitz to Branson. Added a few pounds Sunday Morning, and more monday morning and a bit more Tuesday morning. Stop and Go Plug properly installed in a small nail hole.

Back home now - so in the morning I'll decide whether to re-plug with a gummy worm or mount a new tire.

Problem solved

Thanks for the great advice, it is appreciated. I rode the bike for a few days with no issues, but decided to replace the tires when I brought the bike in for service. I put some new Michelin Pilots on the front and rear and will be picking it up tomorrow to break in the new tires. I did go to the store to purchase a 'new' tire repair kit since the one I used to plug my tire was old.

Responses to your question will fall into two camps. One, never trust a patched tire more than to get you home, and a good patch is fine to ride on.

No, there's only one "camp" and that's the word from companies that make tires. Opinions from a bunch of amateurs are silly.

The ONLY tire manufacturer approved fix is to demount the tire and install an inside patch, usually one that has a protrusion through the hole.

But that's not all manufacturers:

Michelin said:
Michelin does not condone or endorse the repair of any of its motorcycle tires that have suffered punctures or other damage. Michelin assumes no liability for injuries or consequential damages arising from MICHELIN® motorcycle tires that have been patched, plugged, sealed or otherwise repaired by a dealer, distributor or consumer.

or ...

Bridgestone said:
Tire Repairs

Riding on an improperly repaired tire is dangerous. An improper repair can cause further damage to the tire. It may suddenly fail, causing serious personal injury or death. To be safe, go to your local dealer for proper tire repairs.

Before having a tire repaired, tell your local dealer if you have used an aerosol fixer to inflate/ seal the tire. Aerosol fixers could contain a highly volatile gas. Always remove the valve core outdoors, away from sources of excessive heat, flame, or sparks and completely deflate the tire before removing it from the rim for repair.
• Never repair a tire with less than 1/32nd inch (0.8 millimeters) tread remaining. At this tread depth, the tire is worn out and must be replaced.
• Never repair a tire with a puncture larger than 1/4 inch (6.4 millimeters) in diameter. Such tires cannot be properly repaired and must be replaced.
• Repairs of all tires (radial and non-radial) must be of the plug and inside patch type. Using plugs alone on any type of tire is not a safe repair.
• Never repair a tire with a puncture or other damage outside the tread area. Such tires cannot be properly repaired and must be replaced.
• Any tire repair done without removing the tire from the rim is improper.
• Tubes, like tires, should be repaired only by a qualified tire service person.
• Never use a tube as a substitute for a proper repair.

A tire's speed rating is void if the tire is repaired, retreaded, damaged or abused, or otherwise altered from its original condition. Thereafter, it should be treated as a non-speed-rated tire.

Speed should not exceed 50 mph (80kph) in the first 24 hours after a repair is made and the repaired tire should never be used at speeds above 80 mph (128 kph).

It's simply wishful thinking and fantasy to post to a forum hoping for "permission" to do something not permitted by the manufacturer of the tire. There simply are no geniuses on forums that know better and sample-of-one experiences are meaningless. Forget all the silly excuses about "lawyers," etc., which are just poor, uneducated rationalizations.

You did the right thing getting new tires.

....It's simply wishful thinking and fantasy to post to a forum hoping for "permission" to do something not permitted by the manufacturer of the tire.

He did not ask for permission; and, the tire manufacture has no authority to permit or not permit a tire repair by an individual. The manufacturer can only do what everyone else in the world does, give recommendations.

I'm not saying to ignore a manufacture's recommendations, just say'n it is generally better to give simple opinions on the web, rather than forcefully stated incorrect facts.

Back