Thread: 2004 - K1200 GT windshield

gotgas-touring nogas-lost

2004 - K1200 GT windshield

I was spoiled by my K75RT. My (new to me) K1200GT does not have as big an air pocket behind the windscreen as the K75 did and I miss it. Is there a larger aftermarket windshield available that just bolts on in place of the original windscreen to increase the air pocket??

IMHO the best aftermarket for the GT was the Aeroflow, but they no longer make that shield. I'd suggest you check out Parabellum screen.

http://parabellum.com/K1200GT-Super-...hield-P37.aspx

I have one on my GT and it works well, but I have their tallest shield so I don't go adjusting the shield upward when running highway speeds. The design of the windshield actuator on the GT is not particularly robust and has been a problem with larger aftermarket shields. You might also consider just adding a Laminar Lip to your stock shield. http://laminarlip.com

Best,

DG
    Last edited by GTRider; 04-14-2015 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Fix linky
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 K100RS (r.i.p.) -- 1995 R1100RSL (gone, never forgotten) -- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT

gotgas-touring nogas-lost
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    IMHO the best aftermarket for the GT was the Aeroflow, but they no longer make that shield. I'd suggest you check out Parabellum screen.

http://parabellum.com/K1200GT-Super-...hield-P37.aspx

I have one on my GT and it works well, but I have their tallest shield so I don't go adjusting the shield upward when running highway speeds. The design of the windshield actuator on the GT is not particularly robust and has been a problem with larger aftermarket shields. You might also consider just adding a Laminar Lip to your stock shield. http://laminarlip.com

Best,

DG
    thanks for the info. just ordered one. hope to receive and install it by weeks end. thanks again. matt

DG,
    Go you have a laminar lip on your screen? I have been thinking about trying one. Would like to hear from someone that is using one.
    Jeff
    93 K1100LT
    03 K1200GT

Had one on my stock GT shield. It helped a great deal at lifting the airflow and cutting down on buffeting. But at 6'-2" it still wasn't tall enough for me, so I replaced the entire shield with a Parabellum. The windshield on the gen1 GTs is so far in front of the rider that given the small fairing it is difficult to get smooth airflow around the rider and a decent still air pocket. YMMV as will your height...😊

Best,

DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 K100RS (r.i.p.) -- 1995 R1100RSL (gone, never forgotten) -- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT

DG,
    Thanks for the feedback. I am 5'-11" so I bet it will really clean the air up for me. Going to give it a try.
    Jeff
    93 K1100LT
    03 K1200GT

Aeroflow

There are a couple of pictures of the Aeroflow on a 2003 K12GT on page 95 of the "post a picture of your K bike" thread. Works very well and I'm just under 6 feet.
    I currently have a shorter Ztechnic windshield mounted using the Aeroflow hardware, rather than the unfortunate plastic fittings that came with the K-bike.
    1985 K100RS, 2003 K1200GT, 2010 G650GS, 2008 C14

V-Stream windshield gave great coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by madmatt View Post
    I was spoiled by my K75RT. My (new to me) K1200GT does not have as big an air pocket behind the windscreen as the K75 did and I miss it. Is there a larger aftermarket windshield available that just bolts on in place of the original windscreen to increase the air pocket??
    I had a '07 K1200GT and installed a V-Stream windshield and it created a wonderful quite zone for me with little or no turbulence. I had a quite ride even when I set the windshield height at the lowest position. We immediately noticed a reduction in the wind noise on our intercom system and I could easily hear my GPS voice commands which was mounted on my tank bag. If height is an issue it comes both in a tall for riders taller than 6' and a regular height for the rest. Although I am not that tall, I put the tall windshield on my bike to give my wife as passenger greater wind protection. She felt that it gave her greater protection than the stock windshield. I liked the windshield so much that I bought one for my new K1600GT when I changed bikes. Dennis