Thread: 2001 Dakar

2001 Dakar

My son is looking at a used 2001 Dakar model. It has 40K on it. Can anyone tell me of any known issues with those models that he should look for.
    Paul Mulhern
    MOA# 56330
    "The fact that the jellyfish has survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people!"

Some problems with water pumps.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Just coming back to the forums and I found this thread. I've got an '01 Dakar with about 60k miles. I've ridden street, dirt, rain, sun, and snow. If your son is still looking at the bike I can share what I know and point you in the direction of some really smart folks. Just hit me up.

Well once my son saw the bike he was sold. Took it home then took the riders course to get his licence. Last weekend we went thru it and put on new tires, did an oil change complete with buggered up oil drain plug, put in new water pump seals and antifreeze along with addressing a few minor issues. First time I have ever worked on one of the singles, it was...a learning experience. But it helped that I've been doing my own maintenance on Beemers for almost 30 years. When it comes to BMW's some things don't change regardless of how many cylinders it has.
    So anyway, MOA now has a new member and he's under 30 so I just did my part to help lower the overall age of our membership, even if it is only by a day or two.
    Paul Mulhern
    MOA# 56330
    "The fact that the jellyfish has survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people!"

Right on. Now join us over at f650.com if it's to be known about the f/g bikes, they know it.