• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Heated Grips Recommendations

Motivation?

It really depends on what you want to achieve. If you're looking to add versatility and value to your bike, then the BMW grips are the most elegant and best solution.
But if your real motive is to have comfortably warm hands while riding at speed, your money is better spent on heated gloves. They do a far better job of keeping your entire hand warm and you get to keep them if and when you part company with the bike.

IndyGT said:
It really depends on what you want to achieve. If you're looking to add versatility and value to your bike, then the BMW grips are the most elegant and best solution.
But if your real motive is to have comfortably warm hands while riding at speed, your money is better spent on heated gloves. They do a far better job of keeping your entire hand warm and you get to keep them if and when you part company with the bike.

Heated gloves probably do work, but then you get to wear those bulky gloves that interfere with your control of the bike.

Yes, when it's really cold, you'll need bulky gloves even with heated grips. But, there are times when the grips are just enough.

Why anyone would consider anything but the BMW items is beyond me.

Adding Handguards in conjunction with the heated grips was the best move I made for winter riding. They keep the wind chill factor down, and allow the heated grips to do a better job.

IndyGT said:
It really depends on what you want to achieve. If you're looking to add versatility and value to your bike, then the BMW grips are the most elegant and best solution. But if your real motive is to have comfortably warm hands while riding at speed, your money is better spent on heated gloves. They do a far better job of keeping your entire hand warm and you get to keep them if and when you part company with the bike.
Good thoughts. I do want to add versatility and value to the bike. I've considered the Gerbing's gloves, but am not too keen on the entire personal wiring aspect ÔÇö as I'll already be wearing my electric vest under my jacket, I'd like to keep it simple.
lkchris said:
Heated gloves probably do work, but then you get to wear those bulky gloves that interfere with your control of the bike. Yes, when it's really cold, you'll need bulky gloves even with heated grips. But, there are times when the grips are just enough. Why anyone would consider anything but the BMW items is beyond me.
I'd take it you're recommending the BMW grips ;). Yeah, I think it would be a good idea, as the OEM retrofit kit is available for my bike...

lorazepam said:
Adding Handguards in conjunction with the heated grips was the best move I made for winter riding. They keep the wind chill factor down, and allow the heated grips to do a better job.

Yeah, thanks Gale. I'd recently read, in another thread, someone who'd mentioned that they bought and were using GS handguards on a K bike.

Good info here...

I, too, am in the market for something to keep my hands warm.

I've got 2 '77 airheads. I live in Minnesota. Hats off to you Rounders out there, but the bottom line is that I don't really ride Dec - Feb. The bulk of my riding is commuting. I don't see the point in doing a major heated grip replacement, heated gloves or one of the wrap-around options would work well for me. I've already got RS fairings, I don't require handguards.

I've got a really nice pair of Held riding gloves that have a very nice "feel", but they're definitely not warm enough for sub-40 temps. The Aerostich wrap-arounds are $45, heated gloves are double that (at least). I'm thinking that I'll go the quick, less expensive route for now.

Any "modern" bike that I purchase in the future will already have heated grips.

lorazepam said:

Are there any "universal" handguards out there? Something that snap on/off without much hassle.

heated grips

I added the BMW heated grip set to my 87 K100RT a few years and have really enjoyed them as I ride year round. I just purchased the BMW kit for my 94 R1100RS and plan to install them before winter. There are probably cheaper solutions.

I've got some aftermarket ones (Kimpex???) the the PO installed on the bike and I do not like them, mainly because when they warm up they soften the rubber grips to the point where they loosen and the throttle grip starts to rotate over the heat element causing me to have to constantly re-adjust my grasp of the throttle grip. Also one of them heats up twice as fast as the other one.
I've heard great things about Hippo Hands. Not pretty, but functionally wonderful.

andy45320 said:
Are there any "universal" handguards out there? Something that snap on/off without much hassle.

If you have tubular bars, I bet you can get a set of off road guards that will fit with no problem. way cheaper than the BMW ones too. I had planned on taking off the guards in the summer, but left them on after having rocks zing off them while riding.
The guards in conjunction with heated grips make riding in the rain a bit less miserable too.

Here are some from iron pony, but your local dirt bike shop should have them too.

Last edited:
I'm with stuff2c! Aerostitch sells a set of grip warmers that mount under the grips, just like the Dual Stars. Might even be the same thing (duh). They are a thin, self adhesive electrode which I believe were designed for use with snow mobiles. Price is right; ~$30, and you can use them with any grip. I've owned two sets, mounted on two different bikes, and have been quite satisfied.

One argument for grips - versus heated gloves, is that you always have them with you. Even on a midsummer's ride that turns unexpectedly chilly...or wet...or chilly and wet...or chilly and wet and all you brought were your fingerless gloves...again :banghead

Steve

lkchris said:
Why anyone would consider anything but the BMW items is beyond me.
Because the BMW items cost $100 more. For many folks (not living off a trust fund), that is a significant difference when there is zero difference in functionality.

That DualStar kit actually looks like what I have...see my previous post...

Also one thing that concerns me is the wire flexing repeatedly over time as the throttle is twisted (I think that the weakening caused by this is why my grips don't heat evenly). How does the factory setup deal with this?

Veg, here's a thought:

The clutch side grip mounts on metal, the throttle side mounts on plastic - so - the clutch side looses alot of heat as the bar dissipates it. The stick on electrodes I installed included a resistor which I put in line to the throttle side so it doesn't generate as much heat, which in turn seems to even things up a bit.

Your right though about that flex. Eventually the throttle side is going to fail.

Steve

Back