Thread: 2009 R1200Rt Oil Consumption

2009 R1200Rt Oil Consumption

I apologize if this has been discussed. Tried a search using only "oil" in title and said no results.

I recently purchased my 2009 R1200RT and have put on 2000 miles in the last month. Yes I'm enjoying it!

I've watched the oil slowly diminish and yesterday it was blank in the window disc. I added a half quart.

Is this normal or am I burning too much oil?

Quote Originally Posted by labbats View Post
    Tried a search using only "oil" in title and said no results.
    Yeah, the problem is that the vBulletin software won't let you search for 3-letter phrases.

I put this sticky together in the New Member area:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....-the-MOA-Forum

I used the new google link at the top of the forum screen and typed in "site:bmwmoa.org r1200rt oil consumption" and got what appeared to be interesting possibilities. See if that helps any.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by labbats View Post
    I apologize if this has been discussed. Tried a search using only "oil" in title and said no results.

I recently purchased my 2009 R1200RT and have put on 2000 miles in the last month. Yes I'm enjoying it!

I've watched the oil slowly diminish and yesterday it was blank in the window disc. I added a half quart.

Is this normal or am I burning too much oil?
    i would ask how many miles on your RT....

my 2013 RT used a bit of oil early on, now at over 45k miles she consumes nearly zero in 6000 miles (oil change interval)...i use BMW labeled 15w50 semi-syn

AND i would recommend checking your oil a bit more often....IIRC if the oil is not in the sight glass, adding 1/2 liter should bring it up to nearly the top of the glass...

wyman
    2013 R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic
    2002 V-Strom DL1000 - sold
    2008 KLR650 - sold

Thank you both.

Currently I have just over 17000 miles. I'm under the impression that while I did buy this bike from a dealer that it was in storage for three years judging by the service records.

I checked the oil after most rides but wasn't sure of protocol so let it dwindle until I knew it was low. Will adjust to more periodic maintenance as suggested.

My 2008 RT used oil up to about 20,000 miles. At that point I switched from mineral oil to synthetic and it hasn't used any since then. I have about 42000 on the ODO now.

I use the method for checking level specified by the manual. After it's warmed up, put it on the center-stand and then check it a few minutes later.
    John Gamel
    2008 Kalahari Beige R1200RT
    LEOSA Certified

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    My 2008 RT used oil up to about 20,000 miles. At that point I switched from mineral oil to synthetic and it hasn't used any since then. I have about 42000 on the ODO now.

I use the method for checking level specified by the manual. After it's warmed up, put it on the center-stand and then check it a few minutes later.
    ^^^what ExGMan said^^^

but i use BMW branded 15w50 semi-syn....
    2013 R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic
    2002 V-Strom DL1000 - sold
    2008 KLR650 - sold

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar
    If the window went from top to bottom in 2000 miles, that is not bad. The widow is a 1/2 a quart, so that is a quart in 4000. More than one would like, but not unreasonable. My 09 R1200R it taking a long time to stop using oil. It was about the same at 17000 miles, and uses less now. I had top it up at 3000, last round. Big 600cc jugs can suck some oil on deceleration.

Now my old K75, literally uses no oil at 72,000 miles! It is amazing.
    1988 K75 Low Seat
    2009 R1200R Roadster

labbats - that does not seem unreasonable for the relatively modest mileage your bike has on it. My 2009 used about a half quart (window top-to-bottom) each 3000 miles until it was well into the 20K+ range. After that it pretty well settled down to less than a half quart per 6K miles (which is the oil change interval). I have about 71K now.

The type of oil does seem to make a slight difference. I was using BMW 20W-50 dino oil, but the last two changes I've been using Mobil 1 15W-50 full synthetic. I believe it's now using a bit more with the new oil than it did with the full dino. Not enough to change back, but noticeable.

Some folks claim that by riding the bike hard within the first couple of hundred miles, that you can seat the rings better and reduce oil consumption. I have no idea how hard your bike was ridden, but i you only have 17K miles in six years then it doesn't seem obvious to me that the previous owner was a particular leadfoot.

From what I've heard (but cannot substantiate) BMW's "standard" for excessive oil use is a quart per 1000 miles. You're well away from that.

Best wishes.

JayJay
    '09 R1200 RT
    Lots of rice burners in the past ...