• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Packing a 2013 RT for touring...

wyman.winn

i should be out riding!
i have a 2013 R1200RT and would like to slightly increase its packing capabilities by adding dry bags to the top of the panniers....

would anyone have a suggestion on where i might find a suitable solution....in black preferably

thanks in advance for any and all help...:)

wyman

REI, or any good camping / boating supply place. I would strongly suggest other than black because they'll become hotter than you know what and cook everything inside. My wife has a nice yellow one. I'd love to find another like that. Not too modest to have a couple bright yellow dry bags strapped on the bike to make it more noticeable.
Good luck.

Helen2wheels from racer Parts wholesale. Cheap, waterproof. Well made. Get a set of super packing straps as well. They have videos on their website. I have about 50000 miles on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wyman - I have a couple of Ortlieb dry bags that I got from Aerostich, and they work great. Never had anything inside get wet in spite of going through some hellacious rain storms on occasion. They are available in black, but mine are yellow and red because you can find things inside that way. I did at one point get a couple of cheap, sort-of clear dry bags from Wally World, they were lighter weight vinyl and I never trusted them much. Don't use them now.

I installed Bungee Buddies on my panniers, but I would not want to strap anything as heavy as a dry bag to them - not the hold downs, but I would not want to put that much pullout tension on the pannier skin. (The GS guys strap things to the lids of their metal panniers all the time, and that's fine, but not to plastic). I use Rok Straps attached to the to the handles next to the pillion seat or to the rack.

JayJay

Helen2wheels from racer Parts wholesale. Cheap, waterproof. Well made. Get a set of super packing straps as well. They have videos on their website. I have about 50000 miles on mine.

This. I've used these bags for over 20 years, bought them from Helen when she started making them herself. I still use her packing straps too, several like the ROK straps and I have some but never used them.

Wyman - I have a couple of Ortlieb dry bags that I got from Aerostich, and they work great. Never had anything inside get wet in spite of going through some hellacious rain storms on occasion. They are available in black, but mine are yellow and red because you can find things inside that way. I did at one point get a couple of cheap, sort-of clear dry bags from Wally World, they were lighter weight vinyl and I never trusted them much. Don't use them now.

I installed Bungee Buddies on my panniers, but I would not want to strap anything as heavy as a dry bag to them - not the hold downs, but I would not want to put that much pullout tension on the pannier skin. (The GS guys strap things to the lids of their metal panniers all the time, and that's fine, but not to plastic). I use Rok Straps attached to the to the handles next to the pillion seat or to the rack.

JayJay

thanks JayJay, just what i was looking for in advice....i ordered these as they fit the top of the panniers nicely....

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...8&sa=X&ei=9fceVbb8A86wogSL0oLIBQ&ved=0CHcQuSQ

now to order the Rok Straps...

wyman

thanks JayJay, just what i was looking for in advice....i ordered these as they fit the top of the panniers nicely....

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...8&sa=X&ei=9fceVbb8A86wogSL0oLIBQ&ved=0CHcQuSQ

now to order the Rok Straps...

wyman
Nice, good choice. I'll be interested to see how you lash them to the tops of the panniers. My bride won't travel with me so it hasn't been much of an issue to use the pillion seat, but I can always learn something.

Don't know what size Ortlieb you got, but I find the medium is plenty for a weekend.

JayJay

Back