• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil Leak 2013 R1200RT

Chicota

Discovered an oil leak/seep on the bottom of the right hand cylinder cover this afternoon. Not a big leak, just enough to make a mess. I suspect either the cylinder head cover gasket or the gasket that fits around the spark plug. I have 26K miles on the bike and had the 24K service done a couple of months ago. When I called the dealer service manager to discuss, he indicated that the dealership had received a "batch" of bad spark plug gaskets and he suspected that was the problem. Advised me to bring the bike in and have them fix it.

Has anyone else had a similar problem in the recent past that turned out to be a bad spark plug gasket?

R/Jim

Discovered an oil leak/seep on the bottom of the right hand cylinder cover this afternoon. Not a big leak, just enough to make a mess. I suspect either the cylinder head cover gasket or the gasket that fits around the spark plug. I have 26K miles on the bike and had the 24K service done a couple of months ago. When I called the dealer service manager to discuss, he indicated that the dealership had received a "batch" of bad spark plug gaskets and he suspected that was the problem. Advised me to bring the bike in and have them fix it.

Has anyone else had a similar problem in the recent past that turned out to be a bad spark plug gasket?

R/Jim

not with my 2013 RT...she has 45000+ miles and has had the spark plugs out every 6000 miles when i do the service....if it is the plug gasket, there will be an oil trail down inside the coil wiring cover....have a looksee...

wyman

R/Jim
Huh? A spark plug gasket causing an oil leak? The spark plug gasket seals compression between the plug body and the head. There's no oil associated with it. And that gasket comes pre-installed on the new plug, there's no "bad batch" possible. This sounds like you're being shoveled a bunch of bovine feces.

Maybe he means the rubber grommet that goes between the valve cover and the head. That rubber grommet surrounds the plug. If the mechanic wasn't careful when reinstalling the cover, that could have gotten tweaked. As Wyman suggests, pull your plastic plug cover off to see if there's oil coming out that way, that would pinpoint that. But not spark plug gasket!

But by all means, take it in and let the dealer correct it. He's the last one that worked on it.

JayJay

Huh? A spark plug gasket causing an oil leak? The spark plug gasket seals compression between the plug body and the head. There's no oil associated with it. And that gasket comes pre-installed on the new plug, there's no "bad batch" possible. This sounds like you're being shoveled a bunch of bovine feces.

Maybe he means the rubber grommet that goes between the valve cover and the head. That rubber grommet surrounds the plug. If the mechanic wasn't careful when reinstalling the cover, that could have gotten tweaked. As Wyman suggests, pull your plastic plug cover off to see if there's oil coming out that way, that would pinpoint that. But not spark plug gasket!

But by all means, take it in and let the dealer correct it. He's the last one that worked on it.

JayJay

sorry JayJay...was thinking grommet and typing gasket.....:(

sorry JayJay...was thinking grommet and typing gasket.....:(

No, I think the dealer was being imprecise with his language. The fiche calls that thing "interior gasket", and in hindsight, I think I mischaracterized it - a gasket goes between two sealing surfaces, while a grommet lines a hole. So it is in fact a gasket.

But whatever you call it, it's not the spark plug gasket!

JayJay

same issue with my 2012

I had the same issue. Not serious leak. Just drips on the ground. Dealer fixed it by replacing the "cam chain tensioner bracket".

Hope that helps.

Problem Resolved

It was the inner gasket that was leaking. Service manager indicated that they had replaced several and that there was a bulletin out advising that some bad gaskets had found their way into the BMW supply system.

On the '13 RT, it's a small, round gasket that seals the area around the spark plug hole between the cylinder head cover and the cylinder head. I may be using the wrong terminology, but that's what the dealer service rep called it. It you look a parts fiche diagram showing the cylinder head and cylinder head cover, you will see it depicted as part of the "gasket kit."

On the '13 RT, it's a small, round gasket that seals the area around the spark plug hole between the cylinder head cover and the cylinder head. I may be using the wrong terminology, but that's what the dealer service rep called it. It you look a parts fiche diagram showing the cylinder head and cylinder head cover, you will see it depicted as part of the "gasket kit."

He's being Kent...it is listed as Interior Gasket...we knew what you meant. No way a factory trained tech could goober one of those up:banghead

Back