• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Riding to Carmel from Bellingham

weeman

I will be riding from Bellingham to Carmel to visit my 93 year old Mom this summer and wanting to stay along the coast all the way except bypassing Seattle. Does anyone know the best route from my start point Bellingham bypassing Seattle? Does anyone know of a ferry boat that runs past Seattle and puts me close to a point of coastal entry that they've experienced ?
Thanks in advance!

My sister lives in Paulsbo, Wa. and I've taken 101 all the way up the coast.
The 1 and 101 on the coast is a great ride. I've done it many times.
It can be cold and fogy at times, but its better then blistering hot, here in Redding.
Take the Port Townsend / Coupeville ferry. it will put you close to 101 on the Olympic peninsula.
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/

Once in Calif. take coast highway 1 when possible.

I'm heading up the first part of June for a visit, but unfortunately
I don't have the time to take the coast route.

Is time an issue? Hwy 1 and 101 is a great ride. However, some of the Coastal towns can really slow you down with people and traffic. A lot of the road has one lane of traffic in each direction. People slow down to take in the views and that can be irritating for some folks? I live north of Carmel just off Hwy 1 and I am acclimated to the coast. On my motorcycle I die in that I-5 heat in the summer. It is the coast all the way for me......

John

John,
Thanks for the info! I've lived away from NorCal now for about 20 years and one of the details I forgot until you reminded to me is the fact of slow going in the small towns. I wanted to ride down the coast to bypass the hot boring run down I-5 so I will allow for more time...and besides my 62 yr. old butt will need a respite.

Story,

Thanks for the route down to the entrance of hwy 1/101 Port Townsend Coupeville run as I couldn't remember that one. Also, I do remember the foggy runs up and down the coast when I lived in Santa Cruz so I will bring appropriate riding gear...thanks for that!
Have a fun safe trip up to see your sister too.

I'm keeping the Honda Superhawk 996 at home and taking my trusty 1995 r1100rsl that I just put a clutch in should be a nice ride.

Coastal Ride

Don't know if you plan to camp or stay in motels, but if so there's a great motel on the left side of the road heading south bound out of Crescent City called the Curly Redwood Lodge. The lodge was built out one redwood log! The rooms are 1950'ish but very spacious and comfortable and they all have a carport area in front of the rooms... Great for parking the bike under rain or shine...also a good seafood restaurant across the street....

http://www.curlyredwoodlodge.com/

Don't know if you plan to camp or stay in motels, but if so there's a great motel on the left side of the road heading south bound out of Crescent City called the Curly Redwood Lodge. The lodge was built out one redwood log! The rooms are 1950'ish but very spacious and comfortable and they all have a carport area in front of the rooms... Great for parking the bike under rain or shine...also a good seafood restaurant across the street....

http://www.curlyredwoodlodge.com/

That was very kind of you...thank you for the info I might just shoot for that as a destination point.

Once you get to Carmel do ride Carmel Valley Rd all the way into the Salinas Valley. Also, Get on the Jolon road through the Hunter Ligget military reservation to the coast town of Lucia. From the coast the road is Naciamento/Furgesson Rd.

Once you get to Carmel do ride Carmel Valley Rd all the way into the Salinas Valley. Also, Get on the Jolon road through the Hunter Ligget military reservation to the coast town of Lucia. From the coast the road is Naciamento/Furgesson Rd.
Thanks...I'll check that out!:)

Keystone Ferry to Port Townsend

I will be riding from Bellingham to Carmel to visit my 93 year old Mom this summer and wanting to stay along the coast all the way except bypassing Seattle. Does anyone know the best route from my start point Bellingham bypassing Seattle? Does anyone know of a ferry boat that runs past Seattle and puts me close to a point of coastal entry that they've experienced ?
Thanks in advance!

There is a WA state ferry from Keystone to Port Townsend which will put you on the Peninsula. Keystone is off Highway 20 which runs the length of Whidbey Island. Heading South out of Bellingham on I5 follow the highway (20) to Anacortes. Check the WA Ferries website to be certain ferry is still running and its departure times. Remember in WA motorcycles are loaded first so follow the directions to motorcycle staging area. From Port Townsend you can take Highway 20 to 101 and chose to go south down the eastern side of the Peninsula or North to Port Angeles and ultimately go around the peninsula and follow 101 along the coast south. The eastern side brings you out around Olympia (where you can get back on I5) and the western side allows you to follow 101 to CA (both skirt Metro Seattle). Hope this helps. This should be a great ride (if you have the time). Dennis

There is a WA state ferry from Keystone to Port Townsend which will put you on the Peninsula. Keystone is off Highway 20 which runs the length of Whidbey Island. Heading South out of Bellingham on I5 follow the highway (20) to Anacortes. Check the WA Ferries website to be certain ferry is still running and its departure times. Remember in WA motorcycles are loaded first so follow the directions to motorcycle staging area. From Port Townsend you can take Highway 20 to 101 and chose to go south down the eastern side of the Peninsula or North to Port Angeles and ultimately go around the peninsula and follow 101 along the coast south. The eastern side brings you out around Olympia (where you can get back on I5) and the western side allows you to follow 101 to CA (both skirt Metro Seattle). Hope this helps. This should be a great ride (if you have the time). Dennis
Thank you Dennis!

Back