• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a picture of your Oilhead

Went out early this morning. 44 degrees is very cool for this time of year. Where is K75s? He might like these.

2013-05-25 09.05.07-L.jpg

K75s, What is this?

2013-05-25 08.59.37-L.jpg

Last edited:
Went out early this morning. 44 degrees is very cool for this time of year. Where is K75s? He might like these.
K75s, What is this?
View attachment 40251

Sorry it took me so long to reply Bluehole, had to do some research first.
Yeah, you don't see those very often and I may have only seen 1 before.
Considering where it is positioned in the photograph, looks like it may have some mechanical problems and is heading to a shop for repair.
Even though they are rare, they are not of much value. I believe they were manufactured from around 1993 to 2004, imported from Germany, commonly referred to as oil heads, and have a model name of R1100RS or R1150RS. That help???

You are a dead man! I read through nearly the entire post thinking I found something truly unique and unusual. It was not until the very end that I realized I was had. You are a dog! :)

Okay k75s, let's try this again. Here is another photo of what I was referring to in the previous post. Can you identify what it is? Be good or you get a front row seat at my seminar in Salem this summer.

2013-05-25 08.59.20.1-L.jpg

I know exactly what that is!

I'll talk slow, for the RS owners among us that are hoping for an answer that they can understand:

It

Is

A

Rail

Road

Car

Of

Some

Strange

Variety.

hope that helps. :whistle

Okay k75s, let's try this again. Here is another photo of what I was referring to in the previous post. Can you identify what it is? Be good or you get a front row seat at my seminar in Salem this summer.

View attachment 40256

Sorry Bluehole, I am a little dense sometimes. Wasn't sure which piece of equipment you were referring to. :laugh

That is a dynamic track stabilizer. It used after some kind of work has been done to the track, like replacing ties, track alignment adjustments including ballast tamping, whenever the track has been disturbed. Normally the railroad has to put a slow order (speed reduction) on the track that has been worked on, run a few trains across it at the slower speed to allow the track to stabilize, then increase to normal speed. But by using the track stabilizer on the track right after it has been disturbed, allows for fewer trains to have to be run through at slow speed and the normal speed can be returned sooner.

The dynamic track stabilizer basically vibrates the track. Not sure why the one in your picture does not have a number on it. It can not travel very fast on it's own and that is why it is on a flat car. The one in your picture looks brand new and perhaps it is being delivered from the manufacturer.

Here is more info.
http://www.plasseramerican.com/en/p_stabilizing/pts62.htm

Thanks. Everything is on such a large scale that I don't think about the need to stabilize the tracks. I appreciate your expertise.
But dang, I really taken to the cleaner on that one. :)

Back