• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Post a picture of your Oilhead

Good lookin' bike Rocketmanli.

Handsome rider (just the short one :burnout )

Funny thing about those Cs. I must admit that I didn't care much for the styling when they were first introduced. Now that they have been discontinued I think they're pretty cool. It just took awhile to warm up to them. For me, they have an elegance that is not fully appreciated until you get up close and personal.

Sweet !!!

Thanks for the kind words Steve. This is my first BMW, which I flew out to Denver to purchase in January. Since then, put on almost 8,000 miles, and still time left in '07. Still have my first bike, 1982 Suzuki GS850L, which I bought brand new in 1982. Quite the difference in comfort and performance, pluses and minuses for each. The inline 4 on the Suzuki is much smoother and quieter, as is the transmission and shifting, but torque and styling go to the BMW. Still looking to add a 3rd bike to the stable, and have been seriously considering a late model R1150RT or R1200RT. I've never ridden one, and at 6'2" with a 34" inseam, leg comfort is paramount. One of these days, I'll test drive one, then I'll know. Anyway, nice chatting and take care.

Larry

P.S. Here's the Zuke...now you know why I really can't ever part with either one!
side1.jpg

That photo was taken at one of the viaducts when my son and I went on a ride with Backroads USA, and was featured in the Backroads magazine shortly thereafter. That was the ride when we stayed in Clark's Summit, PA and rode around the hilsl and valleys of PA for a few days. Its really difficult finding good quality safety gear for a 10 year old, and nobody in the states seems to have anything other than decorative clothes. I'm more than pleased to recommend Tania at http://www.babybiker.com for any children's riding clothes. They're located in the UK, and I met them through Nancy Koeneman at http://www.familymotorcycling.com. I could not find anywhere suitable riding clothes for my 9 year old son, until I found these guys. I purchased a textile armored jacket and matching pants with zip out and waterproof lining, lots of pockets, velcro and protection. The quality of the garments is right up there (believe it or not) with my Olympia, Cortech and TourMaster gear. The fit is perfect, and for a couple of dollars more, they sell one with a 2" zippered extension, to allow your kid to grow into it, and maybe not have to replace gear every year. I ordered it from the UK, and received it regular mail in New York 4 days later! They're not cheap...right up there with adult size name brand gear, and shipping was probably $30 or so (converted from pounds), but well worth it to keep the kid safe, and looking pretty sharp too! If you're in the same situation I was in, have no doubt...these people are friendly, knowledgable, and may be the only game in town.

Thanks for the kind words Steve. This is my first BMW, which I flew out to Denver to purchase in January. Since then, put on almost 8,000 miles, and still time left in '07. Still have my first bike, 1982 Suzuki GS850L, which I bought brand new in 1982. Quite the difference in comfort and performance, pluses and minuses for each. The inline 4 on the Suzuki is much smoother and quieter, as is the transmission and shifting, but torque and styling go to the BMW. Still looking to add a 3rd bike to the stable, and have been seriously considering a late model R1150RT or R1200RT. I've never ridden one, and at 6'2" with a 34" inseam, leg comfort is paramount. One of these days, I'll test drive one, then I'll know. Anyway, nice chatting and take care.

Larry

P.S. Here's the Zuke...now you know why I really can't ever part with either one!
side1.jpg

Great looking GS850! My first bike was a GS650 and I lusted after the 850 for a long time. I am looking for a 2nd bike since my LT sold (actually pending sale) and the "C" had interested me but at 6'3" I feared it was too small .... guess from your comments that is not the case. How it the C comfort wise for long trips. Can you do 300-400 mile days.

And ... not to worry about the RT's ... They are great bikes for tall guys. I had a '97 and my buddy at 6'5' has a 2000. I have demo ridden the R1200RT as well and found it very comfy for a tall guy!

Thanks for sharing the great bike photos.

Great looking GS850! My first bike was a GS650 and I lusted after the 850 for a long time. I am looking for a 2nd bike since my LT sold (actually pending sale) and the "C" had interested me but at 6'3" I feared it was too small .... guess from your comments that is not the case. How it the C comfort wise for long trips. Can you do 300-400 mile days.

And ... not to worry about the RT's ... They are great bikes for tall guys. I had a '97 and my buddy at 6'5' has a 2000. I have demo ridden the R1200RT as well and found it very comfy for a tall guy!

Thanks for sharing the great bike photos.

Do you just take this bike out to photograph it? It looks as though it's never been ridden...sweet!

Still have my first bike, 1982 Suzuki GS850L, which I bought brand new in 1982...
side1.jpg

And I bet you that 25 year old final drive is still the original unit. ;)

A neighbor where I used to live sold his K75 and bought a used early 80s shaft drive Suzuki GS 650 with under 1000 miles on it. It was mint and ran like a top. Those Suzuki in-line fours just couldn't be beat.

Black Beauty

My 2001 RS at Lake Wenatchee, Washington.
There are great twisties near here like the Tumwater Canyon and the Chumstick Highway.
Rob

Last edited:
Re: Black Beauty

My first photo post. Obviously the resolution could be better. Here's a second try at improving the resolution.
Thanks,

Last edited:
Ed,
I must say the "C" is quite comfortable on long trips, and some modifications made it more so. The stock BMW seat, or even the upgraded "comfort seat" is basically useless. Its apparent that nobody from BMW ever sat on a "C" for any distance, or they would not have included such a rock-hard uncomfortable seat. After MUCH research, I purchased a junkyard standard seat from Beemer Boneyard, and shipped it off to Russell Seats in California. They built me a "Day Long Saddle" for about $500, and it is the single best investment I made. It lifts you up at least 2" higher than the stock seat, to the point where I can't flatfoot the bike anymore like I used to, basically balls of the feet now. I've done upwards of 400 miles a day, and 10-12 hours at a clip, with no butt burn, or discomfort at all. There are a lot of aftermarket seat guys out there, but trust me, the Russell seat made all the difference. Its strange looking ith side wings attached, and has a steel spring tuned to your weight and riding style, but it really works. The ape hanger bars can also be tilted to get a little more elbow room, and some folks even put bar backs, or risers, to squeeze an extra inch of lateral and upward adjustment. I had Ilium floorboards on for a while and they gave another 1-1/2" of leg room, but kept bottoming out on the sharp twisties, so I'm in the process of having them modified. Although not forward controls, like a Harley Softail, my legs are quite comfortable. For an additional few hundred bucks, you can install Elf Pegs in place of the spark plug covers, and actually have highway pegs for the long haul. The bike still has that inherint boxer vibration, but all in all, don't let your height stop you. Test drive one first, and you'll buy it. The looks and comments you'll get on the road, almost make everything else worth while. For more info, go to www.Chromeheads.org for a wealth of info from fellow Chromeheads like me.
Larry

Makes me feel 19 every time I ride (Except the CG is moved up!)

1996r1100rt.jpg

Note the stock wire ties holding the RH cover on. There is a slight tear in the rh corbin seat cover, some warpage on the rh knee pad but we got new ME880's.

Ed,
I must say the "C" is quite comfortable on long trips, and some modifications made it more so. The stock BMW seat, or even the upgraded "comfort seat" is basically useless. Its apparent that nobody from BMW ever sat on a "C" for any distance, or they would not have included such a rock-hard uncomfortable seat. After MUCH research, I purchased a junkyard standard seat from Beemer Boneyard, and shipped it off to Russell Seats in California. They built me a "Day Long Saddle" for about $500, and it is the single best investment I made. It lifts you up at least 2" higher than the stock seat, to the point where I can't flatfoot the bike anymore like I used to, basically balls of the feet now. I've done upwards of 400 miles a day, and 10-12 hours at a clip, with no butt burn, or discomfort at all. There are a lot of aftermarket seat guys out there, but trust me, the Russell seat made all the difference. Its strange looking ith side wings attached, and has a steel spring tuned to your weight and riding style, but it really works. The ape hanger bars can also be tilted to get a little more elbow room, and some folks even put bar backs, or risers, to squeeze an extra inch of lateral and upward adjustment. I had Ilium floorboards on for a while and they gave another 1-1/2" of leg room, but kept bottoming out on the sharp twisties, so I'm in the process of having them modified. Although not forward controls, like a Harley Softail, my legs are quite comfortable. For an additional few hundred bucks, you can install Elf Pegs in place of the spark plug covers, and actually have highway pegs for the long haul. The bike still has that inherint boxer vibration, but all in all, don't let your height stop you. Test drive one first, and you'll buy it. The looks and comments you'll get on the road, almost make everything else worth while. For more info, go to www.Chromeheads.org for a wealth of info from fellow Chromeheads like me.
Larry

Thanks Larry. Looks like my LT is sold so I am on the hunt for another stable mate for my GS. I have been lurking on the Chromeheads site for some time ... lots of good info there. Thanks and I am sure you will love the RT !!

First post - first (two wheeled) BMW.

Attachments

• Beem1.jpg
    Beem1.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 732
Last edited:
Couldn't pass this up. My route took me through Pennsylvania...into the town of Berlin. Well I had to take a picture of a BMW in Berlin.

173238006-L.jpg

nice! I have also been to Berlin for the same reason, in fact that day I also rode to Paris, and all in one day no less!:D

RM

bluehole
that still stands as one of my favorite bikes and pictures
and the pic of that bike next to a lake ( river) is a great one too ( that you also posted months earlier, now also one of my screen savers)
Im saving my "pop" can return money to buy one like it
until then Ill keep riding me ol airhead , shes bullet proof but out dated ( but will keep the airhead in the "stable")
keep on riding

Back