• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Post a picture of your Oilhead

IIRC the Flip A Lever was originally designed for airheads; early models had a threaded opening on the bottom of the throttle and BMW sold a knurled screw to go in there. I've got one on my /5.

I first saw one on an oilhead at our Cascade Country Rendezvous rally in Republic WA several years ago. Paul Glaves had drilled and threaded Voni's R1100RS for one. Worked slick.

I still prefer the new model Excel. It has an intermediate position on its lever that consistently holds just the right amount of friction to make maintaining the throttle in traffic easier and still let it roll off. Really well engineered piece of kit and you don't have to drill and tap any holes!

IIRC the Flip A Lever was originally designed for airheads; early models had a threaded opening on the bottom of the throttle and BMW sold a knurled screw to go in there. I've got one on my /5.

I first saw one on an oilhead at our Cascade Country Rendezvous rally in Republic WA several years ago. Paul Glaves had drilled and threaded Voni's R1100RS for one. Worked slick.

I still prefer the new model Excel. It has an intermediate position on its lever that consistently holds just the right amount of friction to make maintaining the throttle in traffic easier and still let it roll off. Really well engineered piece of kit and you don't have to drill and tap any holes!

The thumbscrew throttle "lock" on Voni's R1100RS is actually a BMW factory part from the "Authority" (Police Bike) catalogue. The plate the thumbscrew threads into is built up around the hole and is thicker than the civilian part.

Last edited:
I apologize for not remembering just how that was rigged . . . in my defense, it was more than five minutes ago . . . :)

I wasn't aware it was a factory rig. I do recall that Voni really liked it though.

The thumbscrew throttle "lock" on Voni's R1100RS is actually a BMW factory part from the "Authority" (Police Bike) catalogue. The plate the thumbscrew threads into is built up around the hole and is thicker than the civilian part.

Back when the world was right:)

I recall dropping my oilhead at the local Hon/Suz/Yam dealer for a state inspection and having to explain this contraption to the young mechanic.

Didn't the original K-bikes come with a "blank" that filled the thumbscrew hole or did we have to purchase the special handgrip assembly for that model too? I can't recall.

Back when the world was right:)

I recall dropping my oilhead at the local Hon/Suz/Yam dealer for a state inspection and having to explain this contraption to the young mechanic.

Didn't the original K-bikes come with a "blank" that filled the thumbscrew hole or did we have to purchase the special handgrip assembly for that model too? I can't recall.

Yes. The classic K bikes came with a drilled receiver to take the same thumbscrew as used on the Airheads, but with a small plastic plug in the threaded hole. This was on the underneath side of the perch. We had to buy the thumbscrew separately but "good" dealers would add one to a new bike if you asked nicely. :)

Were you asking what year my bike is? '99 with 90 000 km's when I got it. A friend owned it and when I first saw it I didn't like the red, visions of tangerine and silver danced in my head. It spent a winter in my basement and he still wouldn't sell it to me. Then the middle of August last year he sent me a text saying I had first right of refusal and I knew if I said no I would regret it for the rest of my life. So here we are and my missus still says it looks like a Russioan mail order bride. The red reminds her of painted finger nails. It's the first bike I've owned bigger than 650 and more than 50 hp, passing cars is sooo easy! Red definitely goes faster than blue!:ha

IMG_3047_heic-X2.jpg

Red is definitely faster than blue.

Many an S owner has made this non-fatal error. I suggest that, should you ever happen across a Pacific Blue S, you humbly bow your head to a superior machine. :D

Please reference posting #2101 on page # 141 for proof. :thumb

Last edited:
Pretty bike! Obscenely overpriced even with its low mileage. Unless, of course, someone buys it!

Have to agree... especially when there are bikes with only 3x [low] mileage, though fewer bits and bobs, available for just under $10k less. ;)

Back