• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a picture of your Oilhead

Of course! Did you want to make me an offer? I'm not sure I could sell it to a former RS owner, though. :laugh

Things could be said, but I'll hold my tongue. Never felt the end to disparage the kids that were too small for a full size bicycle.

The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly

The good: Two nice oilheads.

The bad: The photo's ain't great (yeah, no kiddin . . . ).

The ugly: Both photos include me. Yuck. But those oilheads do get around a bit.

Waiting for the Edmonds ferry en route home after a nice Club ride this last Sunday:

3%20Sep%20Mtg%20amp%20Ride%2010_zpsnqs3lx4k.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

En route from the Stanley Stomp to the Nakusp Hot Springs Rally in BC. Judy and I stopped at a viewpoint for the Sawtooth Mountains; the smoke eased a bit so photo time.

S%20Dan%20and%20Sawtooth%20Mtns_zpseyvghz7u.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Oilheads rule; luckily ugly is just skin deep . . . . :)

Good pictures. I especially appreciate the one with the mountains in the background. Very different, and very pretty, topography out there.

Well, FWIW the one of Ol' Ugly with his R1100S has a mountain in the back too (Mt Baker), but the photographer managed to overexpose and wash out the entire background. But rest assured the mountain's back there . . . for proof here's the one I took of Don and his better half before he took the one of me. At least you can see the mountain! Warning: Not an oilhead . . .

3%20Sep%20Mtg%20amp%20Ride%209_zpsqhloawiu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The good: Two nice oilheads.

The bad: The photo's ain't great (yeah, no kiddin . . . ).

The ugly: Both photos include me. Yuck. But those oilheads do get around a bit.

Waiting for the Edmonds ferry en route home after a nice Club ride this last Sunday:

3%20Sep%20Mtg%20amp%20Ride%2010_zpsnqs3lx4k.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

En route from the Stanley Stomp to the Nakusp Hot Springs Rally in BC. Judy and I stopped at a viewpoint for the Sawtooth Mountains; the smoke eased a bit so photo time.

S%20Dan%20and%20Sawtooth%20Mtns_zpseyvghz7u.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Oilheads rule; luckily ugly is just skin deep . . . . :)

You live on the peninsula?

I've gone up and down the Hood Canal getting to California twice this year. Very sweet ride. Not sure about where you are but up here in the Land of S's :), we've had one shower since the middle of June.

Next time you're on 101 at Brinnon, look due east across the Canal. I'll be waving as you go past. :)

Depending which hydrologic map you look at, annually we get 55-60 inches of rainfall. It's been a VERY dry summer here too.

Still liking your new S? :scratch

Cheers!

It's always raining in the shadows out here--at least in the winter! We ain't seen no dang rain for more'n two months in these here parts. That's why they're burnin' up!

It's always raining in the shadows out here--at least in the winter! We ain't seen no dang rain for more'n two months in these here parts. That's why they're burnin' up!

King 5 news last night was talking about how there's a new Seattle record for continuous high temps over 70 degrees this summer. I believe it. Nice to have some clean air again, and it appears they're making headway on some of the big regional fires.

And yes, I miss my S. :wave

PS. The S profits have been allocated to Rhine River Cruise next May. I'll get to cry my tears into some authentic German beer. 😂

Short Thread Highjack

A slight diversion from our oilhead worship here, and to reinforce what SeabeckS said about the weather change . . .

I rode my airhead /5 down to Maupin Oregon this weekend for the annual Fireflight Rendezvous, and boy was it smoky. The first photo was taken last Thursday in Yakima Canyon, not all that far away (well, about 50 miles) from the Jolly Fire near Cle Elum. The smoke was so thick I couldn't even see out of the canyon.

FF17_1%20Yakima%20Canyon_zpsep1gfghv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The second was taken Saturday afternoon just south of Maupin. A number of weather factors had cleared most of the low-hanging smoke out and I was thrilled to actually see the Mt Hood in the west--no way on Thursday or Friday. There's still a lot of haze in the photo, and that "cloud" just over the flyscreen, on the north slope of the mountain, is the fire. Currently it's burned more than 30,000 acres, is less than 10% contained, and reportedly was started by a teenager with fireworks, out for some fun and thrills. Don't know if that's the true, or the whole story, but its nauseating to think about.

FF17_5%20Mt%20Hood_zpsctbv3km1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Official report as of 12 hours ago, 33,382 acres with 7 per cent containment. The Eagle Creek fire actually jumped over the Columbia River a few days ago and caused the Archer Mountain fire of 250 acres in Washington. The weather shift has given the crews some relief as the fire is not making active runs. A fifteen year old boy from Vancouver was allegedly seen throwing a smoke bomb from a hiking trail. He's been "interviewed " but has not been arrested (yet).

I spent 18 years fighting fires in the Sierras, and still can't believe the stupidity of some people. It's not all a video game kids!

PS. The fire on the Okanagon is at 105,000 acres and has slowed down, for now.

Official report as of 12 hours ago, 33,382 acres with 7 per cent containment. The Eagle Creek fire actually jumped over the Columbia River a few days ago and caused the Archer Mountain fire of 250 acres in Washington. The weather shift has given the crews some relief as the fire is not making active runs. A fifteen year old boy from Vancouver was allegedly seen throwing a smoke bomb from a hiking trail. He's been "interviewed " but has not been arrested (yet).

I spent 18 years fighting fires in the Sierras, and still can't believe the stupidity of some people. It's not all a video game kids!

PS. The fire on the Okanagon is at 105,000 acres and has slowed down, for now.

Fire or flooding..........Repeat, as necessary, to keep the local economies humming. If you try to stop people from building in these areas, your political career will be soon over.

Last edited:
King 5 news last night was talking about how there's a new Seattle record for continuous high temps over 70 degrees this summer. I believe it. Nice to have some clean air again, and it appears they're making headway on some of the big regional fires.

And yes, I miss my S. :wave

PS. The S profits have been allocated to Rhine River Cruise next May. I'll get to cry my tears into some authentic German beer. 😂

Which cruise line? My sister and bro-in-law are considering one of these cruises.

Back