• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a picture of your Oilhead

same bike...

diff angle. trying to learn a little about photog' and always digging my homemade light mounts:dance

Attachments

• 20150518_195012.jpg
    20150518_195012.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 305
just like the tech heads!

Want to share some info on the DIY brackets???

It's such a silly thing, but they work for me. Just a couple of angle brackets, heated and twisted sightly in a vice, painted black. You can see they're kinda ruff, but they hold the lights. The brakes are still torqued correctly. Tho we may have used a slightly longer bolt. I just don't recall. The drawback was that they've nicked the front fairing panel slightly, probably from tight turns. Never affected handling as far as I was aware.

The lights are Hella F50's. Paul Glaves recommended them as a cheap but pretty good option. In my opinion, they don't really provide a helluvalotta illumination down the road, but I think I'm considerably more visible to oncoming.

and posting pix makes me feel like the big boys who post instructional stuff with color-coded arrows...even if you still can't really really see the mounts

Attachments

• IMG_0422.jpg
    IMG_0422.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_0423.jpg
    IMG_0423.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
It's such a silly thing, but they work for me. Just a couple of angle brackets, heated and twisted sightly in a vice, painted black. You can see they're kinda ruff, but they hold the lights. The brakes are still torqued correctly. Tho we may have used a slightly longer bolt. I just don't recall. The drawback was that they've nicked the front fairing panel slightly, probably from tight turns. Never affected handling as far as I was aware.

The lights are Hella F50's. Paul Glaves recommended them as a cheap but pretty good option. In my opinion, they don't really provide a helluvalotta illumination down the road, but I think I'm considerably more visible to oncoming.

and posting pix makes me feel like the big boys who post instructional stuff with color-coded arrows...even if you still can't really really see the mounts

Thanks for posting the pics:)

Nice bike and clever mounts.

A little surprised though about your comment about these Hellas not producing a lot of light. Had a pair of FF50's (fog light pattern) mounted under the cooler shrouds on an 1150R a few years back. They lit up the road shoulders really well out to 400 feet. Probably mounted about a foot higher than what you have. I wonder if those stone shields affect the focused light pattern of the reflecting surfaces?

Cheers!

interestingQ

Nice bike and clever mounts.

A little surprised though about your comment about these Hellas not producing a lot of light. Had a pair of FF50's (fog light pattern) mounted under the cooler shrouds on an 1150R a few years back. They lit up the road shoulders really well out to 400 feet. Probably mounted about a foot higher than what you have. I wonder if those stone shields affect the focused light pattern of the reflecting surfaces?

Cheers!

no idea, tho the low-osity of the mounting position makes it trickier to focus ahead, but I may go out to the garage tonight after dark and cover up the headlight as best I can and see what they really look like. I also just raised the aim a couple degrees, based only on the fact that no one has ever flashed their headlights at me....or made sure I saw the single digit salute.:dunno Thanx!

Last edited:
Do you have the fog beams or the driving lights? With the fog beams I eventually discovered I could leave the lights on all the time, I got flashed on rare occasions, but the fog cutoff was so sharp they really didn't bother folks. As an experiment you might want try them without the stone shields too. Those look to me like they could interfere with the optics a bit.

I came upon these lights from a thread a long time ago by another website user. He'd spent years in the lighting industry, and had night road photos of different setups. Don't recall his name, but it wasn't Paul G. Though I always trust Paul's opinion too!

Cheers!

PS. After some cogitation, the name of the other poster is Deilenberger. He's frequently posted lots of useful information about lighting and other topics. (Edit)

Last edited:
Off Season Transformation

Off season project...

Before...
26783449095_b461b81551_b.jpg

After...
26783449825_7c375a7b18_b.jpg

What else are you going to do in Indiana when you can't ride...

Lake Monroe - or the Monroe Reservoir officially. Largest man made lake in Indiana. About 7 miles from my house...
Hey, not far from where I intend to be weekend after next. Bedford. FOr Suzuki GS rally. about 25 of us, fill up an entire small motel.
Okay, never mind, not BMW related.

Yah, Great painting project you did there. Looks real nice.
Those tie down points something you added, right? Your own invention?

IMG_7768_w1000_zpsaz81r7wa.jpg

IMG_3279_W1200_zpswf0w2ldf.jpg

Was pondering how the lite blue (baritz, ...?) color of my 02 RT would work for the bags and trunk.
I concluded that boot skuff black-dark-dark-gray would be the best color.

Last edited:
Post a picture of your oilhead

Almost looking like a motorcycle again - 2am - time to call it a night.
7c6360179b295ba2058a9e2d1855b538.jpg

At least it isn't this anymore.
4e81001ad40ddccb7c10fad1d002d5f6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back