• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a picture of your Oilhead

Very nice looking CL or is it a CLC? Nice to see you here Dave.

Are 3 letters even better?

Electronic Cruise Control is very nice.

In the Base26 world, a CLC is equivalent to 2343 in Base10. That's similar to the esteemed RSL (12674) and a far cry from the lowly "s" and "t" at 19 and 20, respectively.

In the Base26 world, a CLC is equivalent to 2343 in Base10. That's similar to the esteemed RSL (12674) and a far cry from the lowly "s" and "t" at 19 and 20, respectively.

Ahhh... I now understand the choice of your user name :)

Bob - correct, it is a 3-letter bike. I must say that I am REALLY enjoying the extra letters (the RDL seat) and my pillion's opinion is that it is DEFINITELY better! Our previous rides were an '86 488 and an '83 488 (RT's). Only 2 letters :heh

bluehole - The electronic cruise control must be nice but in my area the highway congestion usually doesn't allow its use (either the bike or cages).
I've only 3400 mi on my new to me CLC and very limited slab time but my '83 RT has a simple, adjustable throttle 'friction collar' that serves me well.

The "380,000 mile routine maintenance is in process. It's a good opportunity to fix a few little things. :)

Attachments

• Big Red.jpg
    Big Red.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 191
Awww. Vonnie and Paul have put enough miles (bajillions) on motorcycles that there's probably an S-bike somewhere in their past. Who knows, maybe a "90?"

If ever there were a couple who've earned the term "guru" . . . . :bow

I've only put 4K on mine since I got it last fall. Lightweight for sure!

Awww. Vonnie and Paul have put enough miles (bajillions) on motorcycles that there's probably an S-bike somewhere in their past. Who knows, maybe a "90?"

If ever there were a couple who've earned the term "guru" . . . . :bow

I've only put 4K on mine since I got it last fall. Lightweight for sure!

"S" bike? S bike! Sure. two K75S bikes - for 87,000 miles. One F800S for 83,000 miles. And one '99 R1100S for 51,000 miles (traded in on the F800S.

So, the R1100S wasn't a keeper. I see:whistle

BTW - none of this is to be taken seriously.

She loved it. I didn't like working on it. Too many little differences that aggravated me. So when the F800S she had coveted for 3 years came available the deal was struck, so to speak.

She loved it. I didn't like working on it. Too many little differences that aggravated me. So when the F800S she had coveted for 3 years came available the deal was struck, so to speak.

If I recall, the F800 has left some "impressions" with you?

If I recall, the F800 has left some "impressions" with you?

Valve checks are a complete joke. That designer should be fired. But otherwise it is easy to work on and very reliable. The last actual valve adjustment was 92,000 miles ago but a guy needs to check once in a while. :)

Valve checks are a complete joke. That designer should be fired. But otherwise it is easy to work on and very reliable. The last actual valve adjustment was 92,000 miles ago but a guy needs to check once in a while. :)

I recall a comment about a solenoid or actuator which continuously tunes the throttle body. It came up during one of the posts by the guys trying to lock their key-less gas caps.

I recall a comment about a solenoid or actuator which continuously tunes the throttle body. It came up during one of the posts by the guys trying to lock their key-less gas caps.

Oh yes. It causes the engine idle to hunt up and down for a while upon startup. A high-tech answer to a non-existent problem. The old idle speed adjustment screw with a fast idle lever (called choke, but isn't) worked just fine. There are other issues like that too. But overall it is a good bike, even if details do aggravate me. Some of it is bad ideas. Some of it is poor execution of good ideas. Designing a motorcycle so that the radiator needs to be removed to properly check valve adjustment seems to me like not-the-best design.

Oh yes. It causes the engine idle to hunt up and down for a while upon startup. A high-tech answer to a non-existent problem. The old idle speed adjustment screw with a fast idle lever (called choke, but isn't) worked just fine. There are other issues like that too. But overall it is a good bike, even if details do aggravate me. Some of it is bad ideas. Some of it is poor execution of good ideas. Designing a motorcycle so that the radiator needs to be removed to properly check valve adjustment seems to me like not-the-best design.

As I occasionally contemplate purchasing a newer model, these little nits of are of interest to me. While my Oilhead has been a good machine, my initial impression wasn't all that positive. Coming from a K75, the idea of dealing with vibration and the engine surge/vibration around 4000-rpm, seemed like a real step backwards. But, the suspension was a vast improvement and the additional 25-hp helped compensate for the vibration. So, 17-yrs later, I'm thinking of upgrading, but want to avoid adding aggravations

posting a picture of oilhead

IMG_7756_w1000_zps4u5onckc.jpg

Clean Machine!:)

I see you mention a Suzuki in your tag line, still have it? I had number of those "big" Suzukis back in the day, nice rides. Even had an S model 1000. :brad

Cheers!

Clean Machine!:)

I see you mention a Suzuki in your tag line, still have it? I had number of those "big" Suzukis back in the day, nice rides. Even had an S model 1000. :brad

Cheers!

The GS1000s was shaft drive?

I had the 4-valve GS750E. From what I recall, the a additional valves bought you little more than an increase in weight. Somehow, they got it right with the GS1100E, but completely hosed it with the smaller engine. Yep, should have stayed with 2-valves.

I see you mention a Suzuki in your tag line, still have it? ...........
The GS1000s was shaft drive?..................

Yep, still have it. 1982 GS1100GK. My main bike here at home. Presently in back corner of garage, under blankets, on life-support.
IMG_0236c_w1000_zpsrb4syjsj.jpg

(local to here in west Michigan, last spring)

G is shaft drive and 2 valve per cylinder.
K is full factory dresser (did not sell well, so not many of them, and few remaining still have fairing , trunk and bags).

THe 4 valve per cylinder engines are the E models and chain drive, lighter, more sporty.
(1980s GS1100E were fastest most sporty production bikes of the day.)
S models were even sportier and had more body work panels and small fairing.

GS1000s could be shaft (G) or chain drive.

I Have had an GS650G and/or a GS850G and/or this GS1100GK since 1982.

And, so, you can see, that me getting this RT was quite different for me.
Quite different. Quite different in many ways.
And, an '02 is a new bike for me.
IMG_3279_W1200_zpswf0w2ldf.jpg

(Escondido, near daughters in San Diego, about 3 weeks ago)
(more pics and story and ride report here
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?84164-Michigander-in-San-Diego-1150RT )

Last edited:
Back