• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Post a picture of your Oilhead

Time to live in the past.....

Death Valley, about 40 miles from any asphalt, below Mengal Pass

i-rc7hx5q-M.jpg

yup, the cabins are very cool. There are a series of them around the area and the Park Service allows the off roaders to use them for free. the tradition is you leave something of value when you leave like firewood, canned food, etc and sign the log book.

No question in my mind, this is one of my favorite places in the world.

i-rmRbj3T-M.jpg

i-pNvpDkM-L.jpg

Coast. forest, and mountains all in the same ride. Doesn't get better than that!

Besides, this thread obviously needs more "S" photos . . . :thumb
:)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mL7n5mEmXJo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Been away for a few days. OXrepat, nice pictures. Looked the area up with on line mapping. Definitely leaving that area to you. Really bummed you have two nice bikes. :)

Henzilla-so you enjoy lobbing the grenade and walking away. :)

Is there room for a real (80/100-21 or 90/90-21) knobby (D606 or more aggressive) or only certain tires?

They all fit, I ran a tkc 80, then a 606, then a ? Was it a mt 21? I can't remember, it was about 15 years ago.

They made a world of difference off road for the better. Of course you paid the price on road. I had two complete sets of wheels, and both fronts had their own rotors so switching between my street and road set took less than 15 minutes.

98 r1100rt

Purchased a year & a half ago on Ebay for $3000 at 72,019 miles.
Needed a motor when I got home with it. (Bad rear main crankshaft bearing) Got a GREAT low mileage (14,000 mi.) used one out of a 95 RS for $300.
20140219_202038 5x7.jpg
As shown....tossed in the new motor in a "Jiffy"....LOL

Plenty of chips & scratches when got it + I dropped it on the right side on my first trip out to Las Vegas Bike week.
Patched that up with a rattle can but then the wife & I dropped it again (on the opposite side, no less) at the Minneapolis rally when I tried to make a U turn pulling away from a curb on a slanted side street while 2 up!

So early last spring it was time to freshen up the paintwork.......little did I realize how many hours this would take me in my home garage. Turns out I elected to leave the tail section black until returning from the Billings rally last summer. Thankfully, we made it there & back without damage!
IMG_2524.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg

Mileage now shows: 98,386. I'm making tentative plans to make a run over to the Kingsley Lake FL. January rally (from Phoenix) if my body will allow it.
Regardless of that plan, I also have lodging reservations already secured for next July in Hamburg, NY. The wife has wisely opted out of that trip siting the long way it is to go.
More later.......ibj...

So early last spring it was time to freshen up the paintwork.......little did I realize how many hours this would take me in my home garage. Turns out I elected to leave the tail section black until returning from the Billings rally last summer. Thankfully, we made it there & back without damage!...

What is that hose thingy coming out from under your jacket then looping down and routing to the pack on the passenger seat? Forced air heating option? :D

What is that hose thingy coming out from under your jacket then looping down and routing to the pack on the passenger seat? Forced air heating option? :D

Seeing he's in Phoenix it's more likely forced air cooling. :)

Hey ibjman...where in Phoenix?

Another Winter Ride in the PNW

Over the last couple of days unexpectedly high winds have wrecked havoc on the Kitsap Peninsula here. Lots of power outages, blocked roads, trees down. So the first nice day I decided to head out for the city side of the Puget Sound for a long-postponed "dealer visit." That is, as the president of the local Beemer club (Washington State BMW Riders) I try to drop by our local dealers every month or two. I usually fail miserably at this schedule though. So I couldn't pass up the day before Thanksgiving when the winds moderated and the sun was shining. Didn't really expect much in the way of photos though, so didn't take the good camera, just an old Canon G9. I was sure wrong on the photo opportunities.

Always room on the ferry for a bike.

IMG_1403_zpswjvnqeac.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

But the wind was still around. Gotta admire this sailor, and that boat was really moving!

IMG_1410_zpsq1iuiitl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Mt. Rainier in the distance, through the haze.

IMG_1413_zpsbcpv24rk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Mount Baker in the distance.

IMG_1404_zpssrriqnkx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Gotta love the ferries . . . motorcycles are the first on, and the first off. And half the price of cars. Sun getting low over the Olympics on my way back home.

IMG_1415_zpskmlu8pau.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hey, ORex,

Thanks for the great pics.

Nice to see all those bikes out on what looks like a fairly cool and breezy afternoon.

Cheers,

Johnny

I've ridden the WASDOT ferries many times, but always as a car driver. Do you just park on the side or center stand and everything's fine?

I just leave the bike in gear so it won't roll, use the sidestand. When the water's rough the deckhands begin parking back from the bow, to avoid salt water spray . . . I've never been on the ferry when it's so rough the bikes might topple to the side. The Sound usually doesn't have waves that big. Admiralty Inlet, between Coupeville and Whidbey, could be an exception though, when the tide's running and the wind's up.
:jawdrop

Most of the time it's no big deal, but sometimes...

Crossing from Anacortes to Orcas Island one night, they only loaded the back half of the ferry to keep the bow higher. Normally you're allowed to stay in your car during passage, but This night we all had to ride in the main cabin. No motorcycles on board for this trip, every vehicle on board got a salt water bath. Sort of amazing to watch waves crashing over the bow and washing down the car deck and off the stern. Very glad when we docked...

Back