Page 139 of 161 FirstFirst ... 39 89 129 137 138 139 140 141 149 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,085 of 2409

Thread: Post a picture of your oilhead

Ceramic coating, by JetHot.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by MarkM View Post
    Those red headers are cool. Congrats on 100,000 miles!

I have a Ztechnik Titanium "Cat' eliminator & muffler for my roadster and thought about doing my front pipes to match . After seeing yours, I'm even more convinced too!

1997 r850r

love those oilheads, some great looking bikes here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mickahill, cool. You don't see too many 850s posted here. How did you come to own it?
    2000 R1100RS
    1972 R75/5

Not an Oilhead Anymore

I have debated whether this is the right thing to do (bad karma), but have decided to not keep silent any longer. 2 weeks ago on a beautiful Sunday afternoon, I hit a deer in northern Missouri. The bike is totaled, the deer is totaled, and I am the only survivor. I am recovering well, no broken bones (not sure why not), but I did spend 2 days in the hospital for tests and precautionary. Most of my injuries are to my feet and ankles (severe sprains).

I saw the deer as soon as it ever would have been possible to see it, but it came out of a ditch and was crouched down at first. Not like it was walking full upright when I first saw it. I was going around 45 MPH on a 2 lane rural road, no traffic. I was also lucky since the location had no trees or poles or guard rails or anything for me to crash into once I left my bike. I must have landed on my feet and then I know I rolled a few times and came to rest in grass on the side of the road. It happened very fast, but my head must have scraped pavement initially per my helmet picture.

Thankfully, I had all of my gear on.

I pray for all of you to be safe. I have read many deer crash stories but they did not alter my decision to continue to ride, only to be as safe as I can.

Yesterday I went to our health club and was able to do a light workout (I play a lot of racquetball, but that will have to wait a little longer) and I am back to work.

I have some parts for my R1100S that were not on the bike when I crashed, so want to offer you guys first opportunity. They include: BMW hard luggage (normal lids). I have not inventoried other parts yet. PM me if you are interested in the bags. Not sure when or if I will ride again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 R1200 GSA, 92 K75s. Gone: 97 F650st, 04 R1100s, 78 R80/7, 76 Honda 750F, Maico 400, Husqvarna 360 8 speed, Honda SL-350, Suzuki 250 Savage, Honda 175SL, Bonanza 100.

Yowch!!
    glad you made it through mostly unscathed. probably your level of fitness was a major factor in your not being more severely damaged.
    bummer on the bike.
    did you get any venison?
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Man o man, that's a tough one. Glad you survived so well!

Doing about 60 on a local road recently, had a deer jump out in front of me from an obscured location. Fortunately missed him by about 15 feet or so, could easily have had an accident like yours. Frankly worry a bit more about all the distracted cage drivers with all their electronic devices these days. But you just never know, do you?

50 years riding, but like you, considering hanging up my spurs. Got knocked off a Ducati in '97, not sure I'd survive that sort of thing so well these days.

Returning to the main thing here...very glad you're okay! Best wishes for a continued and uneventful recovery!

Take care!
    Bill Johnston

k75s, I have heard some deer stories over the years and although I have seen a few while riding, I have never had a close call. I never really worried much about deer, but your story brings it home for me. Not sure if it because of our friendly on line banter or the fact I do a lot of the similar riding...two lane rural roads with little to no traffic. From past experience I can appreciate how painful severe sprains can be...and how slow they are to heal. Sorry to learn your bike is totaled, but glad your injuries are not worse.

Thank you for posting a picture of your helmet.

I hope you return to riding, but understand how something like this makes you reevaluate the risks of doing what we so enjoy.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
    Last edited by bluehole; 08-13-2013 at 11:12 AM.
    2000 R1100RS
    1972 R75/5

K75s, thanks for telling us your story. Glad you came out alive and with no major injuries, thanks in part to wearing gear that did its job. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Let us know when and if you are riding again.
    Mark M, St. Louis, '13 R1200GS, '01 Super Sherpa
    There are two roads in life; the twisty one is vastly more fun.

k75s, i echo all the sentiments above in hoping for your speedy recovery. I also have no doubt that the gear and the level of your fitness helped you survive. At my age and level of fitness , I find that the 1100S is getting harder to ride for long periods. I just don't have the desire to give it up just yet. Good luck in your recovery and any decision you make.

Mark
    2004 R1100S
    1975 R75/6
    2005 Yamaha Majesty

Left Coast Rider
    Sonova "B" !!!

Glad you're ok, K75S! I hit a deer last year in similar circumstance to yours but somehow I didn't go down. Glad you were wearing proper gear although, having met you, an open-face helmet may have improved your looks.

So, what are you going to replace the 1100S with? Keep us posted and heal up quickly.

So good to hear that you will reach complete recovery.
    We have only possums around here in New Zealand,but i came here from Europe and there you will find domestic animals wondering across the highways.
    All the Best,get well!
    Never driven a car and will never do!

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    did you get any venison?
    no - looked at the dead dear and really was not thinking about food

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
    , considering hanging up my spurs.
    I was hoping I did not scare anyone too bad

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    , having met you, an open-face helmet may have improved your looks.
    yeah, most women including my wife prefer that I wear my helmet ALL the time!

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    So, what are you going to replace the 1100S with?
    A bicycle for now
    2014 R1200 GSA, 92 K75s. Gone: 97 F650st, 04 R1100s, 78 R80/7, 76 Honda 750F, Maico 400, Husqvarna 360 8 speed, Honda SL-350, Suzuki 250 Savage, Honda 175SL, Bonanza 100.

Quote Originally Posted by k75s View Post
    no - looked at the dead dear and really was not thinking about food

I was hoping I did not scare anyone too bad

yeah, most women including my wife prefer that I wear my helmet ALL the time!

A bicycle for now
    Good to see you've definitely recovered...your sense of humor!

Your tale didn't scare me off, I've just been considering hanging up my spurs for quite a number of reasons. My S is a great machine, even if BC1100S makes fun of it, I may just keep it as a garage queen if I quit riding.

Cheers!
    Bill Johnston

If k75s resumes riding he is obviously going to move up to the elite level and ride an RS. His dreams will come true. His life's mission, a success.
    2000 R1100RS
    1972 R75/5