• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Post a picture of your Oilhead

Do wish circumstances had not gotten in the way of my attendance, the Big Sky state (in the summer...lol) is one of my favorite places. Even if there are a lot of Hog riders.:)

As to those Hog riders, I "converted" a friend by trading him my R1150R for a few hours on one ride...after his Hog vibrated off it's taillight assembly on the Yakima River Road. He went back home, sold the Hog, and got a Beemer. :dance

Cheers! BJ

Do wish circumstances had not gotten in the way of my attendance....

Yes, that was a disappointment. Would have been nice to see your (admittedly attractive) school bus yellow/pencil lead grey version straining to keep up with the Blue Bomber. :laugh

OK, Smartguy, what do you use to keep your header pipes so clean?
GQ* *Garage Queen :laugh

I cheated a little on the photo, this was taken the day that I bought the bike from it's original owner in January of 1997. Only 3,500 miles at the time.
I asked him the same question about the headers and he told me he uses Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish and then a light brillo type pad.

So get polishing BC, and then lets see some photos :lurk

.... he told me he uses Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish and then a light brillo type pad.

So get polishing BC, and then lets see some photos :lurk

Hey, you're the expert. I figure in your off time you could do mine. :laugh

BTW, there are some GREAT logging roads not far from my place. :D

...I figure in your off time you could do mine. :laugh

So here are my Oilhead shop rates for exhaust header cleaning:

R1100S --- FREE
R1100/1150RS --- $380/hour plus one 12 pack of Alaskan Amber Ale in bottles (not available in my state)
R1100/1150R/RT --- $190/hour plus the beer
ChromeHeads --- sub contracted out (they are too damn picky)
R1100/1150GS/A --- $190/hour, effects applied with blow torch and ball peen hammer. You can proudly return to your area Starbucks afterward.
:D

Last edited:

R1100S --- FREE
R1100/1150RS --- $380/hour plus one 12 pack of Alaskan Amber Ale in bottles (not available in my state)
R1100/1150RT --- $190/hour plus the beer
R1100/1150GS/A --- effects applied with blow torch and ball peen hammer

Nice. :laugh

R1100S --- FREE
R1100/1150RT --- $190/hour plus the beer
R1100/1150GS/A --- effects applied with blow torch and ball peen hammer

While the vintage bike competition has been an excellent Rally fixture for years and the Airheads have the neatest flag, I now see that the Oilhead "S" Brotherhood (OSB) is ready for a model specific event at the Rally. Could competitive header polishing be the event that signifies "S" like no other?

Last edited:
Nothing here but crickets. Let's see some oilheads. [emoji12]
Your wish, my command ... my commuter/bad weather bike:

IMG_0708_zpsde5fe02e.jpg

2004 R1150RT-P, with conversion to civilian dual seat and saddlebags/trunk. It is a retired California Highway Patrol bike that had made its way to the east coast.

That's beautiful, Mark.

I'd be interested to know more of its history. Since it's retired from the CHP, it must have several miles on it. I wonder what the CHP's criteria are for retiring a bike. Looks great, glad you saved it.

Johnny

We should probably shift to PM's after this, so we don't hijack the thread.

No idea on the CHP criteria (maybe a member can fill in here). It currently has ~98k on it, following a complete teardown and rebuild including temporary installation of a 42K motor until I rehab the 95K original, overhaul of the tranny, etc. Great wrenching/learning opportunity, and a dynamite vehicle for daily combat commuting in/out of DC. That pic was after finishing getting it back together last fall; after a winter of driving on salty roads, riding rain or shine, etc., she ain't quite as "dust free" today. :laugh One of the most fun rides I've owned over the decades.

Back