• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a picture of your Oilhead

Wow. Very nice...although the bike looks better than the guy standing next to it. :) And you guys give me a hard time about my bike being clean? That S is dust free.

Yeah, he's not getting any better looking, is he? In that respect, SeabeckS is just like an RS. :laugh

As far as being dust free, S riders have to have something to do while they wait for the rest of the pack to catch up.

This is from this morning. Posting it because of the bling effect I caught (accidently) on camera.

20150428_090427-XL.jpg

Fort Edward Johnson

Wow. Very nice...although the bike looks better than the guy standing next to it. :) And you guys give me a hard time about my bike being clean? That S is dust free.

10 minutes after it's annual wash n' wax. The bike, not the rider! :brad

(PS. The rider has a lot more miles on his chassis than that S has...lol)

Yeah, he's not getting any better looking, is he? In that respect, SeabeckS is just like an RS. :laugh

As far as being dust free, S riders have to have something to do while they wait for the rest of the pack to catch up.

Hey! I resemble that remark! :)

This is from this morning. Posting it because of the bling effect I caught (accidently) on camera.
wow, great photo :clap MOA should put this one on their website front page or magazine

you ever see any cars where you ride? :scratch

Last edited:
Stage 1, project "The Shelter Dog"

Well it's been three years since I won this 1996 R1100R on ebay with a low ball bid, I had great plans but no funds. Finally this winter I took the plunge and started stage 1 on my "Shelter Dog" bike. I named it Shelter Dog because the R1100R seems to be an unwanted mutt, totally skipped over by all the aftermarket producers and abandoned like an unloved dog. But as we all know mutts can surprise you. I'm not sure where this bike falls into as far as category...naked street fighter perhaps? I thought of making it a cafe racer but the geometry is just not there. So my main goal, besides cosmetics, was to strip as much weight and extraneous components off as possible. The bike started at 518 pounds, so when I pulled off the stock exhaust system which weighed 44 pounds and replaced it with a GPR Deeptone from Italy weighing 7 pounds I got the bike down to 481lbs in one shot. Then I pulled the passenger footpeg assemblies, the grab bar, the two luggage rack bars, the charcoal canister, and the rear fender w/tail light for another 18 pound drop to 463lbs. Finally I swapped the 4 stock turn signal stalks for X-Arc micro LED lights which netted me another 4lbs off for a final weight of 459lbs. At 59lbs lighter the bike is really maneuverable, twisties have become a lot more fun.

On the cosmetics side I had the bike painted in Frozen Bronze Metallic which is a 2015 BMW M6 special order color. I complemented it with the use of Rustoleum "oiled bronze" accents on the headlight, instrument cluster, gas filler, and tank trim. The stock mirrors were replaced with bar end mirrors off a Thruxton and the grips are Tomaselli natural gum in Bourbon brown. The platinum bronze exhaust wrap was more for aesthetic appeal...if there is any performance gain I have yet to feel it. The seat was re-uphostered by Pirate Upholstery in Kingston NY who did a great job but the color was chosen to pair with the stock silver at the time, I'm going to change it to brown leather this summer. Lastly I swapped the Dunlop Road Attacks for Dunlop Trail Attacks which give me a little more confidence on our broken and uneven roads in Rockland County NY.

Stage 2, when the funds are available, will be to pull the entire instrument cluster and replace it with a Motogadget Motoscope Pro along with a tubular bar setup. When the riders seat is re-upholstered I will have the pillion stripped down to the pan and then fabricate a cowl in matching frozen bronze. These three swaps should level the horizontal lines of the bike enough to give a slight cafe racer look I'm hoping.

On the performance side I installed a Beemer BoneBox which is really a Techlusion, made by Dobeck. I haven't programmed it yet so it's running open right now(a bit rich). I welcome any advice on performance enhancements, I'm new to Boxer's and haven't worked on a bike in over 25 years...so be gentle ;-)

The Runway

Sunday here at the deserted Grumman Aircraft Testing Facility, home of the F-14 Tomcat. My new to me 2010 R1200RT got a set of floor boards, crash bars, and Wunderlich highway pegs this winter.

Attachments

• At Grumman 5.3.15.jpg
    At Grumman 5.3.15.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 149
Re: Project Shelter Dog...

Yes, you've done some nice things there. I particularly like the colour and the logo :thumb. I've gotta tell you though, I hate the exhaust wrap. What's that sticking out in front of the tach?

Yes, you've done some nice things there. I particularly like the colour and the logo :thumb. I've gotta tell you though, I hate the exhaust wrap. What's that sticking out in front of the tach?

My EZ Pass holder, it's mounted on the end of the fly screen bracket...only position that works so far.

Re: Project Shelter Dog

Wow, Wineguyd, that bike is beautiful! What an improvement from when you rescued it.

Love the Tomaselli grips - those are an especially nice touch.

Johnny

Wow. Someone stepped way outside the comfort zone. Very nice.

+1, very cool machine! Really like the "out of the box" color combo...:dance

Re: Project Shelter Dog

Wow, Wineguyd, that bike is beautiful! What an improvement from when you rescued it.

Love the Tomaselli grips - those are an especially nice touch.

Johnny

Thanks! Once the seat gets re-upholstered to brown it will really come together.

We had a great couple of days in the mountains... Tons of fun!

Really enjoy spending time with my daughters on motorcycle trips...

Our daughter enjoyed riding pillion on my Suzi GS850G back in the day. So much so that she's happy to let her son start riding with me as a pillion this year on my R11S! :D

Cheers!

Great pic, SeabeckS,

But what's he pointing at? I'm guessing it's the little puddles of oil on the floor underneath that thing.

Johnny

Back