• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Post a picture of your Oilhead

I was a Muscle Car Head back then and did not fully appreciate sports cars. However, I do remember the TR6 because it was pretty fast and had unusually large wheels.

My first ever sports car ride was in a TR-3, made me a fan of them. Then went for a ride in an Austin Healy 3000, with that "big" six cylinder engine. Loved those even more, but as a kid in small Nevada town, the only real choice was...a '56 Chevy. By the time (1972) I could actually afford a new car, I was a family man. The back seat (non-existent) in a TR-6 was sort of tight for a child seat, so I opted for a Capri. Still like to have one of them classic sports cars....SIGH!

Well, seeing as we're all reminiscing....

Had a couple of MGB's and I worked for British Leyland as my first job out of school. Got exposed to everything they made - MG, Triumph, Jags. TR6's were muscle cars with oddball handling (mid corner lift would spin you faster than the carousel at your local fair) but LOADS of fun.

Triumph GT6+ was a mini E-Type coupe with a 2.5 liter inline 6, independent suspension and weighed next to nothing. Again, a lot of fun.

My fave was the E-Type V12 Coupe. 5 liters of fast with a touch of class. And nothing compares with the sound of a V12.

Especially a V-12 at full song.

In '66 (or '67?) late one night on I-80 east of Reno I was passed by a Ferrari 275 LM that I later learned had been purchased by Bill Harrah after racing at Le Mans that summer. Saw that car coming from way behind, so throttled up my '65 396 Impala to the max. That red streak went by me so fast it was like I was parked. Always wondered who was driving that car that night....and once he got past, turned on all those racing lights, which lit up that Nevada desert like daytime. ;)

And the sound was unreal!

Old Sports Cars

I always try to park near old historic (and valuable) sports cars in the hopes that the owner will take pity on me and offer me a ride or test drive. No such luck with this one. (Porsche 1600 Super Convertible :heart at the Kansas City Art Museum Art of the Car Concours) http://www.kcai.edu/events/special-events/art-car-concours

(yes, you must watch out for the giant badminton players)

Attachments

• Porsche_speedster_Art_Museum_35.jpg
    Porsche_speedster_Art_Museum_35.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 229
This may not be an oilhead, but it drips oil!

I know this thread is getting a bit off topic but....

Mine dripped oil too, and had weekly mechanical and electrical problems(as with any British Leyland car made with Lucas/Stromburg parts).

The cast iron straight six made this thing so front heavy that I was doing fish tails on dry exit ramps and driving in the snow was a death wish!

But there was always something about British cars that I loved...so you can imagine I was in heaven when I got My Mini Cooper S Cabrio...and it was made by BMW.

There is a god!!!!!!!!

Holy Moly! That is one super clean bike. Very nice.

Have I mentioned how much I dislike you S bike guys. :) Man, I am jealous. So when are you leaving? how long will it take you to get to Salem?

Edit: My bad. I see you are in Puget Sound. Looks like about 5 hours.

Last edited:
Holy Moly! That is one super clean bike. Very nice.

Have I mentioned how much I dislike you S bike guys. :) Man, I am jealous. So when are you leaving? how long will it take you to get to Salem?

Edit: My bad. I see you are in Puget Sound. Looks like about 5 hours.

Thanks, hope to meet up at the Rally!

Leaving home on the 17th, but riding a backwoods route east of Mt St Helen's and staying in Hood River that night. Rolling into Salem Friday morn...

So you riding the airhead or that RS thing? :brow

Cheers!

I just cannot make it. I do not have enough time available to do a ride that long. Honestly, I have never ridden that far. It would be a serious challenge for me. It would probably take me two weeks to do that run.

I feel bad because I a dumping BC1100S on you. Kind of fell like I am leaving you in the cage with a rabid possum. Look at the bright side, you two get to do the Rs to S conversion seminar together. :)

Not sure if some of the other S characters like terham, k75s, festus and bikerfish are heading that way.

Rad...don't know what to make of him. Probably hexheading his way there.

Salem

Not sure if some of the other S characters like terham, k75s, festus and bikerfish are heading that way.

This "S character" will be there, however like you, I do not have enough time to ride round trip out there, so flying out with my wife. My wife is not big into riding, but likes live music performances so I expect we will be there at least for some of the music. Also hope to sign up for a test ride early one morning and maybe get in a technical session.

Otherwise, wine tours, Columbia River gorge drive, Oregon coast drive, whatever we can fit in.

Hope to meet some of you out there.

Looked at renting from MotoQuest in Portland (http://www.motoquest.com), but think I will just use the money to buy some farkles or gear at the rally.
Then there is the possibility I may be riding home on my new K1300S Superstakes prize! :dance

I wish I was going. Rad daughter #2 is home for only three weeks from grad school right now. She heads back to Durham NC that weekend. Kinda bad form for dear old dad to duck out on her.:laugh

Hey, Bluehole, how far are you from Duke? 150 or so miles? I may ride out for her graduation next May.

Flying to the rally. Why didn't I think of that? Not a bad idea. Might do that for the next west coast rally.

Rad, I am about 150-170 miles away from Durham. Let me know if you ride out and some time when you get a break in the graduation action I will buy you a Cheerwine. :)

I just cannot make it. I do not have enough time available to do a ride that long. Honestly, I have never ridden that far. It would be a serious challenge for me. It would probably take me two weeks to do that run.

I feel bad because I a dumping BC1100S on you. Kind of fell like I am leaving you in the cage with a rabid possum. Look at the bright side, you two get to do the Rs to S conversion seminar together. :)

Darn! Now who am I going to harass...uh. I mean coerce...uh. I mean encourage, into purchasing me a frosty beverage? Or two? :nono

But hey, I get it, totally. To get all the way to the East coast I'd probably have to hire someone haul my sorry old butt and bike! :cry

Still, you will be missed...(sort of...)! OTOH, BC1100S and I can impugn your sterling reputation to our hearts content without interference. Assuming of course that you've not enlisted spies to continue your nefarious pursuits against we beleaguered S owners! We'll make up some good stories about the fabled RS to S conversion "process". :groovy

Cheers!

Sorry to say, I won't be there. Had planned to fly, but alas, events have conspired to keep me here this year. I'll have to catch you all at the next one.IMG_0347.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0165.jpg
    IMG_0165.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 207
Heading out in the morning for the "Oregon Trail". Will be on my not-yet-completed RS to S conversion project bike. :) Should arrive in Salem Thursday afternoon...NEXT Thursday afternoon. :)

DSC_0005_tonemapped_cropped-L.jpg

Back