• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a picture of your Oilhead

Yup, that's St Helen's, from a viewpoint several miles SE of the crater.

My wife and I were out that way a few weeks ago, through the Gifford Pinchot Forest. Alas, the road to Spirit Lake was closed. :( We came all the way from Canada to drive that road (and a couple of others).

weeman, where was this picture taken? Tell us more about the bike. When did you buy it? How did you come across it?

The picture was taken at my house just over the BC border on the US side near Bellingham, Was. I bought it from a guy just about a year and a half ago that had to relocate from Seattle to San Francisco for his job and couldn't keep it where he was going. Most of his riding was local to Seattle and only covered approximately 2200 miles a year hence the low miles of just 35k.

I plan to ride it mid Aug to see my 92 year old Mom in Carmel and possibly hit the Historics at Laguna Sega then up to visit my two brothers in Bend, Or on the return.

Steve

My wife and I were out that way a few weeks ago, through the Gifford Pinchot Forest. Alas, the road to Spirit Lake was closed. :( We came all the way from Canada to drive that road (and a couple of others).

Yeah, those backcountry FS roads in the volcano region open very late, and all subject to emergency closures in summer from landslides. Couple of years ago I was watching the road alert info on the Gifford Pinchot website planning a ride to Windy Ridge / Spirit Lake. After the roads had been open a month. Needless to say, I shoulda checked road conditions THAT day!

:violin

The picture was taken at my house just over the BC border on the US side near Bellingham, Was. I bought it from a guy just about a year and a half ago that had to relocate from Seattle to San Francisco for his job and couldn't keep it where he was going. Most of his riding was local to Seattle and only covered approximately 2200 miles a year hence the low miles of just 35k.

I plan to ride it mid Aug to see my 92 year old Mom in Carmel and possibly hit the Historics at Laguna Sega then up to visit my two brothers in Bend, Or on the return.

Steve

Got it. I saw what looks like a historical marker in the background and was wondering where the picture was taken. Interesting story behind your RSL. Nice find. Hope your August trip goes well.

Those red headers are cool. Congrats on 100,000 miles! :thumb

I have a Ztechnik Titanium "Cat' eliminator & muffler for my roadster and thought about doing my front pipes to match . After seeing yours, I'm even more convinced too!

Not an Oilhead Anymore

I have debated whether this is the right thing to do (bad karma), but have decided to not keep silent any longer. 2 weeks ago on a beautiful Sunday afternoon, I hit a deer in northern Missouri. The bike is totaled, the deer is totaled, and I am the only survivor. I am recovering well, no broken bones (not sure why not), but I did spend 2 days in the hospital for tests and precautionary. Most of my injuries are to my feet and ankles (severe sprains).

I saw the deer as soon as it ever would have been possible to see it, but it came out of a ditch and was crouched down at first. Not like it was walking full upright when I first saw it. I was going around 45 MPH on a 2 lane rural road, no traffic. I was also lucky since the location had no trees or poles or guard rails or anything for me to crash into once I left my bike. I must have landed on my feet and then I know I rolled a few times and came to rest in grass on the side of the road. It happened very fast, but my head must have scraped pavement initially per my helmet picture.

Thankfully, I had all of my gear on.

I pray for all of you to be safe. I have read many deer crash stories but they did not alter my decision to continue to ride, only to be as safe as I can.

Yesterday I went to our health club and was able to do a light workout (I play a lot of racquetball, but that will have to wait a little longer) and I am back to work.

I have some parts for my R1100S that were not on the bike when I crashed, so want to offer you guys first opportunity. They include: BMW hard luggage (normal lids). I have not inventoried other parts yet. PM me if you are interested in the bags. Not sure when or if I will ride again. :cry

Attachments

• helmet2_20.jpg
    helmet2_20.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 246
Yowch!!
glad you made it through mostly unscathed. probably your level of fitness was a major factor in your not being more severely damaged.
bummer on the bike.
did you get any venison?

Man o man, that's a tough one. Glad you survived so well!

Doing about 60 on a local road recently, had a deer jump out in front of me from an obscured location. Fortunately missed him by about 15 feet or so, could easily have had an accident like yours. Frankly worry a bit more about all the distracted cage drivers with all their electronic devices these days. But you just never know, do you?

50 years riding, but like you, considering hanging up my spurs. Got knocked off a Ducati in '97, not sure I'd survive that sort of thing so well these days.

Returning to the main thing here...very glad you're okay! Best wishes for a continued and uneventful recovery!

Take care!

k75s, I have heard some deer stories over the years and although I have seen a few while riding, I have never had a close call. I never really worried much about deer, but your story brings it home for me. Not sure if it because of our friendly on line banter or the fact I do a lot of the similar riding...two lane rural roads with little to no traffic. From past experience I can appreciate how painful severe sprains can be...and how slow they are to heal. Sorry to learn your bike is totaled, but glad your injuries are not worse.

Thank you for posting a picture of your helmet.

I hope you return to riding, but understand how something like this makes you reevaluate the risks of doing what we so enjoy.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Last edited:
K75s, thanks for telling us your story. Glad you came out alive and with no major injuries, thanks in part to wearing gear that did its job. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Let us know when and if you are riding again.

k75s, i echo all the sentiments above in hoping for your speedy recovery. I also have no doubt that the gear and the level of your fitness helped you survive. At my age and level of fitness :whistle, I find that the 1100S is getting harder to ride for long periods. I just don't have the desire to give it up just yet. Good luck in your recovery and any decision you make.

Mark
2004 R1100S
1975 R75/6
2005 Yamaha Majesty

Back