Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is it necessary to drain the fuel tank after 3 months of storage w/ stabile in it?

Is it necessary to drain the fuel tank after 3 months of storage w/ stabile in it?

I was reading the haynes manual for bringing the bike out of storage and did not do it according to the book. I did not drain fluids but figured this was for long-term storage and used stable in the fuel tank. In the manual it states to drain the gas and refill the tank with fresh gas. The bike has been sitting since November and just curious if you guys think this is necessary or not. Also I did another bad and only had about half a tank, maybe a bit more, prior to storage. Would this cause any issues?

Left Coast Rider
    If you're getting your bike back on the road now I'd just go for a ride to use up the fuel that's in it and then fill it up with some fresh stuff. If you want to be really cautious, add a shot of gas line antifreeze (gets rid of water in tank) to the new tank of fuel. IMHO, you'll be just fine.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I wouldn't worry. If you are concerned you can put a shot of Techron in it and a little Sta-Bil and run it. 3 months isn't that bad.
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by synstars View Post
    I was reading the haynes manual for bringing the bike out of storage and did not do it according to the book. I did not drain fluids but figured this was for long-term storage and used stable in the fuel tank. In the manual it states to drain the gas and refill the tank with fresh gas. The bike has been sitting since November and just curious if you guys think this is necessary or not. Also I did another bad and only had about half a tank, maybe a bit more, prior to storage. Would this cause any issues?
    You're located where? And the bike is? How many miles?
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    You're located where? And the bike is? How many miles?
    My bad, I forgot to add this to my sig.

2004 R1150GS Adventure
    36k miles

My bad, I forgot to add this to my sig.

2004 R1150GS Adventure
    36k miles
    You've had the bike how long and how well did it run last year?
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

You've had the bike how long and how well did it run last year?
    Had it since last week of October, ran great. Bought off a friend of mine who had it serviced prior to a 7k mile trip to FL and back, had it re-serviced on the road for oil change, and when he got back. All fluids were done before his trip with new brakes and he put on new tires on in FL at the time I think so they have around 3k miles on them.

Had it since last week of October, ran great. Bought off a friend of mine who had it serviced prior to a 7k mile trip to FL and back, had it re-serviced on the road for oil change, and when he got back. All fluids were done before his trip with new brakes and he put on new tires on in FL at the time I think so they have around 3k miles on them.
    If I thought you would sell me the bike for $1200, I would swear the engine was going blow as soon as you started it with that dreaded old gas. However, since you likely aren't that gullible (if not, please stop reading and PM me immediately) I'll tell you that my 99 R11RS sits every winter for 4 to 6-mos with whatever amount of ethanol blend in the tank. I connect the trickle charger and place a cover over the bike. In the spring, it starts up with no problems.

Worry about something else............

If I thought you would sell me the bike for $1200, I would swear the engine was going blow as soon as you started it with that dreaded old gas. However, since you likely aren't that gullible (if not, please stop reading and PM me immediately) I'll tell you that my 99 R11RS sits every winter for 4 to 6-mos with whatever amount of ethanol blend in the tank. I connect the trickle charger and place a cover over the bike. In the spring, it starts up with no problems.

Worry about something else............
    PM Sent....JK LoL

Mine sits 5-6 months every winter full of untreated premium, and in the spring I start it and ride it. I have been doing this for 35 years and never have I had any issues. Hot summer months would be a different story. Quit worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Mine sits 5-6 months every winter full of untreated premium, and in the spring I start it and ride it. I have been doing this for 35 years and never have I had any issues. Hot summer months would be a different story. Quit worrying.
    Voni and I park a few for about 4 months in the summer, in SW Texas. I add Stabil and IsoHeet before we put them away. We come home in September and ride them. I try to add new fuel as soon as I can.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

As others have said, don't worry about it and go ride. For future referece, I'd ignore the Haynes manual unless you are storing it for multiple years and intend to replace the hoses when bringing it back out of storage. Letting the hoses sit dry after having been soaked in E10 is asking for them to start cracking. The best practice for storage of just about any gasoline fuel system is to fill the tank with fresh fuel with stabilizer and run it long enough to get the stabilizer mix through the pump, hoses, fuel injectors, (or carburetor). Going for a 5 or 10 minute ride is more than sufficient for the task. Then just top it off and forget about it. If you can do the last fill and top off with ethanol free fuel (still w/ a stabilizer), better yet. (not necessary, but the fuel should take longer to deteriorate) Even with E10, I've stored stuff for upwards of 12 months using marine stabil without any real issues; at worst, a bit hard to start the first time back. At the point you are at now, fire it up and ride it. If you intend to store it longer, I'd just top off the tank to keep the hoses wet and minimize the air space for oxygen and moisture which contribute to fuel going stale.

That's the big advantage of your oil head's fuel injection system.

Residual fuel in a carburetor float bowl can freely evaporate. In time, a gravity-fed carburetor bowl loses all the light hydrocarbons such that after storage you are trying to restart the engine on something like thick kerosene. That's why entering storage it is best to have any fuel source shut off and drain the carb bowls.

On the other hand fuel injection systems keep any subsequent starting fuel trapped and sealed in a line making much easier to start an engine. Using something like Stabil in the fuel tank will greatly reduce evaporation from the tank surface.

Even with Stabil or equal in the gasoline, in a few months a carburetor will get fully gunked up if it isn't first drained. But a fuel injection system will start like it has yesterday's fuel in it.
    Retired w 2005 K1200LT, 2000 R1100RT, & 1975 R90/6

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Mine sits 5-6 months every winter full of untreated premium, and in the spring I start it and ride it.
    +1.

The engines I have that are fuel fussy, are a two stroke snowblower, and a two stroke week whip.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
    +1.

The engines I have that are fuel fussy, are a two stroke snowblower, and a two stroke week whip.
    I hated my "weed whip" - weed-eater so badly that the next one I bought was electric with 300 feet of extension cord. I only use it near the house and shop and only once or twice a year. No finicky two stroke for me any more, no siree!!

As for "snow blower". What is that?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/