Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BMW - AF - XiED Anyone?

BMW - AF - XiED Anyone?

Just wondering if anyone has any feedback on this Holy Grail plug & play device being marketed (and praised) on BeemerBoneyard? This is supposed to "cure" the fuel mixture problem with all 1100 & 1150 oil heads. The price is certainly fair for this item if it will actually do the trick, but before I drop $220. I'd like to hear back from someone here who has used or is using it.
    Thanks

That device was designed by "roger 04 rt" on here and Advrider.

If you read his research on the surging issue and his response to the problem you will be sold.
    If I had an 1150 I'd buy one.

My bike is easily managed with tuning and has no O2 sensor anyway.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

R1150gs

Been running one since their intro.
    Very pleased overall across the board.
    Mileage is only compromised 1-2 mpg
    Lots of extra grunt (I tow a Uni-go trailer 2 up), I run 89 octane at 100F - no pinging, no surging
    Would not be without it.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Before buying my LC-1 I did some long distance beta testing on the AF-XIED. Test report here: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....l=1#post880407

Shortly after that I ordered the LC-1 wideband O2 sensor kit from Innovate Motorsports. It has the same basic electronics as the AF-XIED and is what the AF-XIED is based on however more involved to install and use. It also has datalogging capability which I wanted in order to continue testing and assisting Roger in answering some questions about the 1100 series.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

I installed one in a local R1100S and the owner is delighted. That said, I also installed a Boosterplug in a local K1200GT and the owner is delighted. And I've just tuned some bikes well and the owners have been delighted.

I intend to keep pursuing the AF-XIED as a solution.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org

There is a lot of research to support the idea of lambda shifting, which can be accomplished by a wide and controller like an LC-2 or a plug 'n play device like the af-xied. Here is a link that will get you to the research threads and some user comments: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...6#post21814496

I replaced an older Techlusion device with the AF-XiED and I couldn't be happier. (2000 R1100RT.) The bike performed just fine with the Techlusion and no oxygen sensor, but the gas mileage was awful.

I've gone from 36 to 40mpg in my daily commute, mostly in dense traffic. Interstate has gone from 39ish to 45ish mpg, up to low 50s if I behave.

No surging to speak of; but there was none with the Techlusion, either. (Which is strange, since the bike's service history is replete with notes of surging complaints.) It was just a bit erratic with the AF-XiED set to the lowest potentially good setting, #6. At #8 I get slightly worse mpg, and smooth running.
    2000 R1100RT / 1987 K75C (RIP) / Santa Clarita, CA

I can't resist. I went the LC-1 route and could not be more satisfied with the performance of my '04 R1150RT, just a perfect bike now. Going to upgrade to the new LC-2 in the spring just because the LC-2 eliminates the need to perform calibration like the LC-1 and the LC-2 is a simple cleaner installation. Amazon has the LC-2 for about $164 with free Amazon Prime shipping. Only reason for going with the LC-1,2 over the AF-XIED is for the data recording capability and I like the performance a bit better at AFR settings richer than the AF-XIED is capable of as in 12.8:1 AFR. Also, the LC-2 is a bit less money than the AF-XIED and only slightly more involved for installation.

I was going to sell my 1150 but have changed my mind after install of an LC-1. I spent 10 years tweaking and experimenting with code plugs, a Techlusion, home made air input temperature sensors and whatever else I could dream up. The LC-1 simply ended all experimentation and I don't miss it one bit. If I had a dime for every time I removed the GD tupperware......
    Jammess

Sounds Like a No-Brainer

Thanks to you all for your feedback. Looks like I have to order one of these yesterday!

FYI, Innovate Motor Sports sell just the LC-2 without O2 sensor (Part#3881) for $149.
    Jammess

Quote Originally Posted by jammess View Post
    FYI, Innovate Motor Sports sell just the LC-2 without O2 sensor (Part#3881) for $149.
    I thought you had to use a wideband O2 sensor with the LC-1 or LC-2. ??

In any case, it's important to consider the AF-XIED for the 1150 bikes is plug and play. Not so for the Innovate product. You're going to need to build an interface box, tap into your existing O2 sensor wiring and provide power and ground etc. So you need to be comfortable with all that.

Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    I thought you had to use a wideband O2 sensor with the LC-1 or LC-2. ??

In any case, it's important to consider the AF-XIED for the 1150 bikes is plug and play. Not so for the Innovate product. You're going to need to build an interface box, tap into your existing O2 sensor wiring and provide power and ground etc. So you need to be comfortable with all that.
    Hi HW, yes, need a wideband O2 sensor which I have with my LC-1 and I have a spare as well. I don't think you need a patch box with the LC-2. Just a cleaner simpler unit to install and I really like that the LC-2 self calibrates. Price with O2 sensor is about the same as the AF-XIED.
    Jammess

OK. I was confused when you posted "FYI, Innovate Motor Sports sell just the LC-2 without O2 sensor (Part#3881) for $149." because if you're going to go with the LC-1 or LC-2 you will need a wideband sensor and buying just the LC-1 or LC-2 without one is not going to work.

With the AF-XIED for the 1150 you keep the OEM sensor, plug in the two ends of the AF-XIED, dial in a setting and go. So unless you plan on datalogging your AFR on an ongoing or even intermittent basis I would just get the AF-XIED and keep it simple. There's a bunch of guys out there running them now and getting good results.

No question about that. I did some data logging at first but now I just enjoy. I do believe, at least with my 1150, that I get a noticeable improvement in smoothness and especially performance (low end torque) at 12.8:1 AFR which is a bit richer than you can get with the plug and play version. However, you can select 13.6:1 AFR with the AF-XIED which will certainly make a huge difference for most bikes and well worth it, imo. Oh, and a bit better mpg is a plus. Either way is good and far better than Techlusion or the other gizmo whose name escapes me.
    Jammess

The AF-XIED transformed my 03 from a complete frustration into an enjoyable ride.