Thread: Can a 1200RT cruise control unit be fitted to an R1150RT?

Can a 1200RT cruise control unit be fitted to an R1150RT?

If that is a dumb question don't make too much fun of me!
    Richard Stone Indianapolis
    2004 R1150RT Biarritz Blue
    1978 R100RS Cafe Racer
    Often wrong.....never in doubt.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueman View Post
    If that is a dumb question don't make too much fun of me!
    I would hazard a guess that if you pulled this off it would be a first. Bearing in mind that the 1200 is a CanBus system and the 1150 is not, the ECU are different and 1150 bikes never had cruise control other than throttle locks that I know of presents a lot of hurdles to get over. First you will need a definitive list of the inputs required to the 1200 cruise control and then determine if those are even available on the 1150 which I highly doubt.

Another major problem will be control output. The 1200 throttle bodies have servo motors in them, 1150 bikes do not.

Anyway, I don't know enough about the 1200 to say one way or the other but from what I do know I just can't see it mainly because electrical on those two bikes are fundamentally different. If the 1200 cruise control system uses the servos to control speed well, that's a non starter on the 1150.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Thank you. If I were an electrical engineer/master mechanic I might look into it but for now I will use the Throttlemeister!
    Richard Stone Indianapolis
    2004 R1150RT Biarritz Blue
    1978 R100RS Cafe Racer
    Often wrong.....never in doubt.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Pro Noblem. I have a throttlemeister on my RT but I use a simpler (and cheaper) device on my airheads. Cheap solutions are expected and admired by airheads the world over.

I have the cheaper 15 dollar version of this thing but they have added a thumbwheel on the new model that makes it adjustable. This is a really great idea as not all hand grips are created equal. The one I have works great on my G/S that has Oxford heated grips on it which are fatter than the OEM grips. Now that I have used it there it does not work as well on my RS. I guess it got stretched a wee bit but just enough that it slides back now. So my next purchase will be one of these adjustable ones which will work on any bike.

They are simple, easy to use and they work quite well on level roads. Hills of course require your input. You can find these on sale or on eBay for around $32. Here's how you use it:

MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT