Thread: 1994 R1100RS RID retrofit - gear position wiring

Question 1994 R1100RS RID retrofit - gear position wiring

Hi all,

I have a 94 R1100RS that I'm fixing up. It's an early-ish model, produced in 93. It does not have an RID, and I'm fixing to add one.

The gear position switch has been added on top of the neutral switch. I have a 97 R1100RT which I'm parting, it's the donor for this project. Swiped the gear switch and RID off of that.

However, there doesn't appear to be a plug wired into the harness for the gear position switch at the switch end. The proper 8-prong connector at the RID end DOES exist and all 8 wires are there. I can extend off of the switch plug to wire into whatever I have to, but I'm wondering what exactly to wire it into to use the majority of the factory wiring, since the wiring is at least partially there. I'd rather not manually splice into the plug at the RID itself if I can help it, would much rather tap in wherever it terminates upstream.

I've seen some vague references to this here and there, but I have no concrete details. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Look harder on the left side of the bike, the receptacle will be amidships.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

Thanks! I had a good look, and I still don't see the plug. It isn't in the same location on the wiring harness as it is on the RT.

The RS is a beta model, if that makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ubergoat View Post
    Thanks! I had a good look, and I still don't see the plug. It isn't in the same location on the wiring harness as it is on the RT.

The RS is a beta model, if that makes a difference.
    It makes no sense to have a receptacle for the RID and none on the other end - the switch indication wires have to go somewhere.
    Please list the wire colour codes on the end you have ID'd as the RID receptacle, I'll check my schematics.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

I have an early '94 RS and it did'nt have the RID. Found a used one. Got the plastic cover it mounted in. Removed the stock cover and the RID plug was just there. Plugged it in, attached the cover and I was in business. Probably the easiest upgrade I ever did.