• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2014 F800GS, recent purchase. Why no tubeless type spoked rims?

jdking

My 89 R100GS had tubeless tires and spoked rims. Did they just "cheap out" on these F type GS's? Now a guy should carry tire irons, a tube, patch kit, air supply. I know, how many flats have I really had in the last umpteen years of riding, not many but a guy can get a heck of a long way from "roadside assistance" on the backroads of Idaho. I'm just annoyed I didn't fully check out the spoked rim/tube tire business prior to making an offer on this thing. It might have been a deal breaker. Haven't ridden it enough to "bond" so maybe it's just a little buyer remorse that I'll get over.

I agree it is a pain in the butt. In my case it is my wife that rides the GS, so I have to fix a bike I don't ride. I wonder what Woody's would charge to put on a tubeless type rim on the 800's hub... if they can do it at all?

My 89 R100GS had tubeless tires and spoked rims. Did they just "cheap out" on these F type GS's? Now a guy should carry tire irons, a tube, patch kit, air supply. I know, how many flats have I really had in the last umpteen years of riding, not many but a guy can get a heck of a long way from "roadside assistance" on the backroads of Idaho. I'm just annoyed I didn't fully check out the spoked rim/tube tire business prior to making an offer on this thing. It might have been a deal breaker. Haven't ridden it enough to "bond" so maybe it's just a little buyer remorse that I'll get over.

FYI: The F650 - 800cc twin GS, and the F700 - 800cc twin GS, have cast tubeless type wheels and tubeless tires.

So sorry for your loss. I have ridden my F800 to the 3 oceans, the deserts of the south west and the wilds of my native NW Ontario Canada but never had a flat yet, but I am prepared to deal with that when it happens. Proper tires and proper inflation and you should ride worry free.

If it is that big of a deal (and by the sounds of your post it is), then either go get new tubeless spoked rims (they are available) or trade it off / sell it and move on.

Re: tube tires, F800GS

So sorry for your loss. I have ridden my F800 to the 3 oceans, the deserts of the south west and the wilds of my native NW Ontario Canada but never had a flat yet, but I am prepared to deal with that when it happens. Proper tires and proper inflation and you should ride worry free.

If it is that big of a deal (and by the sounds of your post it is), then either go get new tubeless spoked rims (they are available) or trade it off / sell it and move on.

Your right, in the overall scheme of things, not a big deal. It's a "motorcycle" after all, not a "rim/wheelcycle" and from what little experience I've had with this BMW parallel twin its quite the piece of engineering efficiency. Looking forward to putting some miles on it like you have.

Why no tubeless, well the consensus is that it was felt that the F800 would be used by serious off road riders, and if you check out ADV riders, many do. Tube type allows running low pressures, 12-18 psi, that many use for serious off road. Tubeless have a tendency to roll the bead off the rim at low pressure.

And yes, Woody's will take your $$, and send tubeless rims.

I agree it is a pain in the butt. In my case it is my wife that rides the GS, so I have to fix a bike I don't ride. I wonder what Woody's would charge to put on a tubeless type rim on the 800's hub... if they can do it at all?

The BMW tubeless rims won't work with the F800GS hubs. That horse has been beaten to death on a few forums. They are different number of spokes and that among other issues means it can't be done.

What can be done by Woody's Wheel works is to seal the stock rims or aftermarket rims to run tubeless. I had a pair of wheels built for my GS by Woody's and had the rear one sealed. Couldn't do the front in the narrower width I wanted to use, so it still has a tube.

As for why they don't come with tubeless rims; cost.

The big advantage of tubeless is being able to plug, pump and go if you have a puncture. So my solution was to seal the spoke nipples with a high grade sealant, and carry some washers to seal the stem. The plan is if I get a puncture, pop a washer on the stem, plug and pump and get to a place to do a proper repair. Kind of like a run flat tire on a car.

In about a month I will be changing tires and will test the integrity of the sealant after about 8K miles.

I have buddy that is a plumber and used some sort of plumbing goop to seal the spokes on a KLR. Took him an entire winter in AK to do it at two spokes or so every day or so. He's been running tubeless a few years now. Not sure I would trust it, but as an emergency back-up it sounds reasonable.

The problem with a tubeless front is you need another rim to do it safely, the front 21" does NOT have the tubeless tire retaining ribs, which could allow the bead to unseat and cause an instantaneous flat. A Woody's conversion uses a new rim.

Those of us who started riding way too many years ago began in an era when tubes were crap compared to today's versions. And some of us were poor enough we used tubes with so many patches that they resembled a tile mosaic. We got lots of practice at patching and never thought much about it-was just part of riding.

These days, tubes are better and flats are less common- and most of us including me have gotten lazier.

Hoping to keep my tire irons unused for the next couple seasons....would rather save the dismounts for home where the NoMar is handy. But it is unwise to go far from a well traveled road if patching is a worry.

At the price of BMWs F800s, a tubeless rim should be standard.

2014 F800FA, recent purchase. Why no tubeless type spoked rims?

I am pleased to say that apparently, this misstep has been rectified for 2015......My F800 GS came with spoked rims & tubeless, radial tires. I do not think it would be a stretch to think that the noise generated from this issue reached BMW Motorrad with enough volume that it was not to be ignored......

Your tubeless tires still have tubes in them. same as every other F800GS. The need for tubes is due to the rim, not the tire.

Back