• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1974 R90/6 Hand Controls: WTH?

banzaibob

My son just picked up a '74 R90/6. It is not running and we haven't started working on it yet. I have a '76 R90/6. The question: My '76 has the conventional looking electric control switches, i.e., rockers for the turn signals, paddle for the high beam, etc. His '74 has totally different controls. Each side has a flipper switch that apparently you can push in. Since it isn't up and running and doesn't even have a battery in it yet I can't tell what is what. I'm sure if I spent all night google-ing it I could find the answer but....anyone wanna clue me in?

The early 74's had the black controls, kinda bakelite plastic, with the larger (cooler) clutch and brake levers......The push buttons were the horn and starter.........I don't remember which; but the side on the left I think was the starter and the little levers and that control are the high and low beams with the high beam flasher going down........the right side, is the horn and turn signals up and down...........

I am sure someone will correct the starter and horn sides; but that is basically it.....For me, I really like them as they are rebuildable and the levers are great because of their "knobiness"..............God bless......Dennis

I believe the early '74's still used /5 controls, that's what I was told regarding my 74 R90S. Does his bike have a kickstarter also?

Yes, it has a kickstarter. Thanks for the picture. What threw me was the fact that there's no dedicated kill switch.

Yes, it has a kickstarter. Thanks for the picture. What threw me was the fact that there's no dedicated kill switch.

There is...just have to reach over the bars and turn the key on the headlight bucket...always a smooth operation:laugh:laugh:laugh

My /5 and /6 have the same controls

1974 is the one and only year there was a 5-position ignition switch

off
park
ignition
ignition + park
ignition + headlight

This switch was revived for the R80G/S and I think the R80ST (Euro models).

74 hand controls

Sure there is a dedicated "kill switch". Twist the right handgrip to maximum and head toward a large solid object of your choice.

If you mean there is no dedicated "engine cut off switch" on your 74 model, you are correct as most of the 74's were still equipped with the /5 controls. Updated switch gear was fitted to the 75 and 76 /6 models.

Friedle
riding is a mental activity that involves some physical skills

e.g.

43296371.jpg

My /5 and /6 have the same controls

Early build '74 date; like January? Is the seat pan fabricated out of two separate seat sections? They did it to get into production without having to retool a die for a new seat LWB seat pan. There would be an obvious joint visible underneath. Just curious.

I'll have to look again...too many numbers to recall right now. The 74 does have the lengthened weld visible swingarm. My /5 is a 9/72

Edit: /6 is stamped 7/74 and has one piece pan. I'm second owner of both and had a pretty good history of them being left as they came...except for the saddle and a Siedenbrock upgrade on the /5, which is also blue like your pic.

'74 Hand Controls

You have the photo and diagram, but the Right push button is the starter and the Left push button is the horn.

Even though they look just like the /5 controls, the 1974 controls are unique to the 1974 /6. There is a unique part number for the /6 left side control (Horn, headlight - High, Low, Flash). I am not sure about the right side control (Starter, left, right signal), it may be different from the /5 or may be the same.

Even though they look just like the /5 controls, the 1974 controls are unique to the 1974 /6. There is a unique part number for the /6 left side control (Horn, headlight - High, Low, Flash). I am not sure about the right side control (Starter, left, right signal), it may be different from the /5 or may be the same.

From the /5 manual. #6 - Left control (dimmer, horn, passing light); #10 - right control (turn signals and starter).

Attachments

• Slash5Controls.jpg
    Slash5Controls.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 116
Just noticed in the shot that I posted. The perfect angle ... not to be able to see either the brake or the clutch lever.

Maybe it's an Beem-o-matic, with integrated front and rear mechanical brakes. Maybe. :dunno

Like most BMW's, the '74 was transition model. Last year all models got the kickstart. As noted it got the /5 type switch's, and polished aluminum turn signals. Some got the polished aluminum gas cap. The only year where the bikes came with solid disk brake rotors. I think a lot of the finished hardware was chrome plated. 1st year with a 5 speed gearbox. Like Chris said new key ignition. All in all, kinda neat. Definently old school like me. :thumb

What threw me was the fact that there's no dedicated kill switch.

This is like saying you're surprised it had tube-type tires.

It's a 40-year old motorcycle ... the '75s were the first BMWs with a kill switch. When do you suppose HDs got them?

You may find '74 was the last BMW with the front brake light switch on the handlebar, too ... at least until '81 when it returned.

None of this is amazing.

Kickstarter remained available throughout the life of Airheads, just became optional after '74 ... except on the R80G/S, where it was standard. It also probably wasn't optional on the '79 R100RT with the heel/toe shifter.

Just remembered, first year the instrument cluster mounted on the top triple tree. Not in the headlight bucket. Things were changing fast. I'm sure at least 3 of the 4 models could break the 100 mph barrier. Simply amazing.:dance

Back