• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

When is it going to STOP

miairhead

Last winter was bad, this winter bad, where is that warming? October to April it seems my bikes sit in the garage. I use to get one January ride, not for the last few years. I tried of winter, and Michigan has not had the worst of this winter. :banghead

Last winter was bad, this winter bad, where is that warming? October to April it seems my bikes sit in the garage. I use to get one January ride, not for the last few years. I tried of winter, and Michigan has not had the worst of this winter. :banghead

No bugs. Just keep telling yourself.........NO BUGS

Unfortunately, 'global warming' means a disruption in normal weather patterns - not an across-the-board boost in temps. Bummer.

Here is Wisconsin, we haven't exactly had record snowfalls, but the temps are frequently in single digits and not always on the positive side of the thermometer.

Spring cannot come soon enough. :violin

My consolation for enduring seemingly endless winter is the joy and satisfaction when I can finally get the bike out and ride. I think it increases the pleasure of riding after being forced to suffer PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome) for a few months. In the meantime, I pass the time reading the forum, motorcycle magazines and talking with fellow riders. It's not the same thing as riding, but at least talking to other sufferers helps make it a little more bearable.

See you on the roads in a few weeks. (I like to be optimistic sometimes.)

My consolation for enduring seemingly endless winter is the joy and satisfaction when I can finally get the bike out and ride. I think it increases the pleasure of riding after being forced to suffer PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome) for a few months. In the meantime, I pass the time reading the forum, motorcycle magazines and talking with fellow riders. It's not the same thing as riding, but at least talking to other sufferers helps make it a little more bearable.

See you on the roads in a few weeks. (I like to be optimistic sometimes.)

Amen to that. As folks say here, if you can't stand the winters, you don't deserve the summers. Sure feels great when summer finally arrives.

Maine - sure is cold, but at least it's a damp cold...

Last winter was bad, this winter bad, where is that warming?

It's out here in California. I wish you could send us some of that wet stuff. But, as Greenwald indicated, Global Warming does not mean it will be warmer everywhere. I remember looking it up about 15 years ago, and Global Warming referred to the average temperature of the oceans. Of course, my memory could be off, but that's what I remember.

We've had a few flies out and about, and some Grizzlies have been sighted too.

I'm talking about us folks in the US. You softies, in the balmy retirement states.....just go on doing whatever it is you do around the shuffleboard area. And for heaven-sakes, pull up your shorts.

Now, if you'll excuse us.......we have snow to shovel and cold weather to moan about.

I think the new PC word for global warming is climate change.
It's forecast to be 20 in the morning. My heated devices lists starts and stops with grips. I was cold this morning in the 30's tomorrow will be difficult. I'm applying A LOT of what Roger Wiles wrote about in this month's MOTOSAFE to each ride.

I'm talking about us folks in the US. You softies, in the balmy retirement states.....just go on doing whatever it is you do around the shuffleboard area. And for heaven-sakes, pull up your shorts.

Now, if you'll excuse us.......we have snow to shovel and cold weather to moan about.

If you have any white patent leather shoes and belts laying around please send them our way.

Who knows when it will end.
Perhaps another ice age is coming in.
Perhaps your area will be under the glacier again, isn't that the history there? Don't they say the glaciers carved the Great Lakes.
Maybe you will end up under the glacier.
dc

Yup climate change

In western Oregon February is tracking to be 6 degrees over the record month's average high temp. That is a lot. We are at average precipitation, but about 17% of typical snow pack. Just say'n

Here in NE Wisconsin the high temps are running 20-25 degrees below normal. Forecast for tomorrow is that we might see zero for a high, then back down to negative teens for a low (near record lows). Haven't seen a lot of broken water mains this year, unlike last year.

At the bottom of the line, most people reside where the do by choice. There are a few people whose employment is so specialized that they are really forced to live where they do - the Los Alamos Labs comes to mind. But most people choose to live where they do - family nearby, I have a job and changing would be inconvenient, etc. I chose to live and work in an unpleasant place for about 10 years once before I wised up and changed jobs and moved. So, everybody, enjoy your choices!

For most of my life I lived where the Army told me to live or as a kid where my dad was assigned. As I got more senior I had an increasing level of input, but ultimately I went where they told me to go. I lived in about 25 different places, 17 states and 5 countries. I only disliked two places. Toronto, CA and Hampton,VA. Both were so crowded that I dreaded leaving the house.

At the bottom of the line, most people reside where the do by choice. There are a few people whose employment is so specialized that they are really forced to live where they do - the Los Alamos Labs comes to mind. But most people choose to live where they do - family nearby, I have a job and changing would be inconvenient, etc. I chose to live and work in an unpleasant place for about 10 years once before I wised up and changed jobs and moved. So, everybody, enjoy your choices!

Amen to that, my choice's are pushing 45 years, spent some time in truly wonderful places but could never get used to the soft change of seasons. I love to compalin about the weather, here its a sport. Truly if your healthy, no reason to complain on this side of the sod.

Bingo! We have a winner. :wave

The relationship between where we choose to live and who we are is of interest to me. Generalizations are not always correct, but they serve a useful purpose. So think of a part of the country, city, state or region and think of what you assume to be true for people who live there.

Now think of places you wouldn't want to live because of your stereotype of of residents who live in that place.

Then think of motorcyclists who you have met from those same places. Often, those people don't fit the stereotype and we often attribute it to the fact that you meet the nicest people on motorcycles (thanks Honda).

I live in what many call the Midwurst. Hot, humid, hazy summers with cool and sometimes cold winters (current temp is - 1.5 degrees). Flyover country to some. Born in Wisconsin, moved to Colorado as a child and lived there till I left for college. Have lived in S. Il for 45 of our 47 years of marriage. Same bank account number for 41 years. Same phone number for 39 years. I can clearly remember when I realized that we were not moving to Colorado and I would be a Midwesterner for life.

I've been lucky enough to be able to travel to all 50 states. Each one has their own special kind of beauty. I've found people to be friendly where ever I go. But I'm always glad to come "home".

When the sun comes up this morning, I'm going to look at the frozen, ice covered lake behind our house and enjoy the choice. :thumb

Back