• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Toyota Prius: Major threat?

Re my 12 Passat TDI. Couple tenths under 40 mpg overall even the way I drive. 240 lb feet or close at almost any rpm ain't all bad.
Already sent me the paperwork for my first $1000 payoff with the likelihood of more to come as stuff shakes out. That pays for 20K miles of fuel with diesel around $2/gal here- what's not to like? The elevated NOx still "smokes" vehicles from the 70s and 80s.

Done plenty biz in Germany- they talk a better game than they do even though plagued by lawyers at many meetings. Not likely VW execs will see prison unless the govt gets pissed at $ losses. And don't be naive- a full investigation would very likely find private conversations between VW execs and govt officials about doing this when it all started years back so all need to protect each other. You can expect the German govt to object to US investigations privately in diplo channels rather than publicly. No junior squirt would conceive of this software caper without exec approvals and the execs surely didn't do by themselves without some promised support!

No dinky Prius for me even though batteries normally have excellent life. If the new dinky were any smaller it would fit in my trunk. Some skis and plenty of surfboards are longer than a Prius interior and wreck mileage on a roof mount.

US regulators should require submitting annotated source code for all vehicle computers prior to type approvals and compare that to random production models. Lab tests are not nearly as likely to kill cheating permanently. If one cheats with approved annotated code- well you've provided all the evidence a prosecutor needs as Title 18 creates criminal penalties for lying to govt officials

In my younger days I sometimes played with left lane pigs using tricks learned on the track. No longer though despite the fun of it. If you do the legal limit in the left lane in much of NC you will get trampled- it is NASCAR country after all. I'm always happy to let anyone who wants to go faster than me do their thing. I love rabbits and will cede them a 1/4 to 1/3 mile lead with thanks. You got to run 15 over to draw attention most places and that's 85 or more around where I live.- or be driving stupid. Regrettably and though illegal your chance of getting pulled while texting is nil- I see several every day so LEOs must also see plenty without acting.

Another Prius hate thread. Wonderful.

Here's a result of Prius-hate:

Prius1.jpg

I had my Prius less than two weeks when some low-forehead Prius-hater kicked a $900.00 dent in the right rear quarter panel.

I do hypermile, but never in the fast lane. If traffic is reduced to one lane, I will do the speed limit to not slow anyone up.

Be careful about generalizing about people. You see one Prius going slow in the fast lane and assume we all do that. There are lots of people not in a Prius driving slow in the fast lane. I see it all the time.

And what is it about a Prius that scares the low-forehead types so much? Crazy BS.

Harry
I'm with you. I drive all over California on my motorcycle and in my car. I don't keep a tally on model information causing congestion but I can safely say that the Prius is no more guilty of this than any Honda, Nissan or anything else. I don't own a Prius just to get that out there. I understand frustration as well as anybody but hating a model of car is pretty nutty whenyou get right down to it. What do you think a lot of people say about us bikers when we lane split or drive fast on curvy secondary roads? "I hate motorcycles!" is something I'm sure has been shouted more than once in a car ad we go by. Beware stereotypes.

My wife and I call all these Honda, Toyota, Nissan, ect. type vehicles ,Jellybeans because they all look alike except for the color. I think if someone is putting the boots to your vehicle it was probably a road rage incident, maybe didn't signal, or a rolling stop, parked to close to there Hummer. But it just doesn't seem like somebody would be so pissed at the type of vehicle you drive they would go out of their way to damage the car or their foot.

Oh, I think there all kinds of nuts out there that would damage a vehicle for no reason at all. Maybe the perp just doesn't like blue.

Prius taxis here in Victoria, hyper-mile trick also adds time to the meter. Drives you nuts when stuck behind these guys.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

hyper-mile trick also adds time to the meter.

Reduced operating costs and higher revenue. It's free market love......

At 3 Canadian $ per mile plus $40 per hr, even a humvee would hyper-mile in Victoria

Last edited:
With the highest gas prices in North America here in Victoria ($5.08 per gallon) hybrids, like the Prius, are looking more attractive all the time. Still wish they'd keep the high milling to the right hand lane. Driving slowly in the overtaking lane on the one major highway off the island here has been a problem for years. It's even become a focus of police attention with an announced crack down last year. It would be interesting to know if anyone was cited for driving to slow in the left lane.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With the highest gas prices in North America here in Victoria ($5.08 per gallon) hybrids, like the Prius, are looking more attractive all the time. Still wish they'd keep the high milling to the right hand lane. Driving slowly in the overtaking lane on the one major highway off the island here has been a problem for years. It's even become a focus of police attention with an announced crack down last year. It would be interesting to know if anyone was cited for driving to slow in the left lane.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Didn't they used to have a law on the Olympic Peninsula about blocking 5 cars?

Didn't they used to have a law on the Olympic Peninsula about blocking 5 cars?
I think they still do. There are also more passing lanes but inevitably someone will pull into the passing lane accelerate 3 MPH faster than the car the are passing and take the entire length of the lane to get by. You can only laugh.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I think they still do. There are also more passing lanes but inevitably someone will pull into the passing lane accelerate 3 MPH faster than the car the are passing and take the entire length of the lane to get by. You can only laugh.

Happens here often as well...to me twice today...I wasn't laughing then...but yeah, just shake your head and wonder if they ever take a looksy in the rearview at the line behind THEM:banghead

And if only they were going 3 faster...feels like 1!

Lost in the translation?

One explanation is Toyotas original name for the Prius was to have been The Pious.

See Harios "Skerton" coffee mill. It was supposed to be called Skeleton, but when the packaging info was sent to the printer it did not translate correctly.

Hario, a Japanese manufacturer of high quality coffee & tea brewing gear just kept the name.

I could be right on this.

Bill

Last edited:
Thanks

I was cruising along with a Prius doing 80-must have been a biker trapped in a cage...

I was beginning to think my post was a thread killer.

I was just kidding about the Prius, everybody knows that the BIG WHITE pick-up is the true scourge of the road. :whistle

Bill

Last edited:
My list of "cars I REALLY hate to see in front of me":
Subaru Outback. I almost think that their speedometers are set to read 10 high, as max speed seems to be 5 under the limit. One reason people get them is because they're perceived as being super safe. Super safe and reaching the speed limit do not spend much time hanging out together.
Toyota Prius. 'nuff said.
CJ-5 type Jeeps especially, but most any Jeep is a likely buzz kill. I suspect that parts start falling off over 50.
Buicks, especially when driven by men wearing fedoras or bowlers while driving. If you're oblivious enough to keep your hat on while driving your car, iI don't want to be within 2 counties of you when you're on the road.
Volvo station wagons. They're kinda like Outbacks, only for people with more money.

Now that VW is going to pay me market plus about $5K to own my 12 Passat TDI, been looking at a new cage. Drove the various Toyota hybrids and all I can say for a Prius is that you've got to be pretty uncritical to want one. Toyota/Lexi in general set the mark for boredom and the Prius leads the pack. Honda has a new hybrid Accord (48 mpg overall rating) that is technically superior (better batteries and motors) and a real car- shows the Toys need significant updates which I expect they are now goaded to do.

Other things I've found interesting are the BMW 5 series diesel- runs as smooth as gas and 40 mpg- so am waiting to see next years version which is said to be approaching 500 lb-ft (twin turbo 3L six) with same mileage.

Hybrids and diesels have similar range- a property I like more as I get older.

Big losers so far
New Merc E class- industrial and crude feel despite all the cute engineering choices (base 4 cyl gas turbo turns diesel-like rpm hooked to a good 9 speed box). I expect this car will not be well received by current Merc owners
Audi - only gas motors

Still need to check out the Jag XE diesel...

Yeah we've got lots of Prius left lane pigs in NC but also mostly clear right lanes. Passing power is a good thing but as I get older I think I'd like an installed paintball gun in the grill. Its nice to know the guy in front of you spends his time watching his econ gauge instead of the road (and at less than $2/gal for fuel)
Have had too many problems with US vehicles in the past to get interested in Ford or GM hybrids and, of course, GM's idiocy of years ago means we'll never see a US diesel cage.

Have had too many problems with US vehicles in the past to get interested in Ford or GM hybrids and, of course, GM's idiocy of years ago means we'll never see a US diesel cage.

Well there is the GM Cruze diesel which has an Opel engine out of Europe. Its the rest of the GM that worries me though.

With only 19K miles on my 2013, I don't think I'll be accepting "market value".

I had Fords in the past too, but all were so so. Just got a 2013. I was quite surprised!
The closes to a VW was an old Audi. Sure glad it is gone.

Back