Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vehicle theft

Vehicle theft

A LONG STORY:

Well, Helen gets a call Monday morning from the dealership she took her '07 Jeep Liberty to have some recall issue done and to repair the recently broken ignition interlock.
    " we had a break-in and your Jeep is GONE" " It was the ONLY vehicle in our lot they took"

She has had to push the cable down under the console shifter with a screwdriver to remove the ignition key for the last two weeks...found solution on Google of course.
    When she dropped it off, she handed them the key and was clear on how to remove it...the service writer jokingly acknowledged he knew about the problem as she handed the key and screwdriver to him. She told him if she could Google a how-to, they should be able to do the same.

We rode to dealer so she could sign a police report and talked to the less than apologetic Service Manager who basically said the insurance company will contact us in a few days and a settlement would be offered. She had to ASK about a loaner car...a minivan was offered Oh, he kept directing his replies to me...I explained it was Helen he needed to be dealing with as I left his office. He reluctantly did and seemed very uncomfortable, as did Helen with his demeanor.

You would think they see a future sale and let her take a new Jeep...didn't happen. He seemed to just want her to sign the report when the officer showed and happily leave. Not a single apologetic word.

He claimed the thieves had used a slimjim to open her car and drive away, just seconds after he admitted they left the key in it! Only key, you locked it in the vehicle?...yeah, right. Did the porter mention he left the key in it and did not lock it? A bit of on his part and in backstepping.

We left with the understanding he would locate a comparable SUV on their dime. I believe they have lost a long time Jeep purchaser, as this was the third dealer we have had some sort of internal issue with.

She called the GM the following morning to tell him how she had felt during this encounter. He of course was unavailable, but called back in about an hour. She told him a contact from him the previous day would have been her expectation. He agreed and apologized. He was uninformed of the few details we had...especially the key being left in an unlocked vehicle in their control over the weekend. He called back later and said a SUV was sitting at their sister dealer next door when we could come back or he could deliver it and he was waiting to talk to the Service Manager who was off yesterday. He apologized for the event and assured her he would handle himself from this point on.

Waiting on the insurance call and expecting a basic blue book value thrown at her. Not planning on accepting that as we were not selling/trading, nor had wrecked this unit. She did not cause this event. She had added a lot of upgrades to this model and will hold fast on a higher value as we did not cause the need to "settle".

Did not want to involve a lawyer, but this morning thinking it is in our best interest.

NOT how either of us wanted to start our week with for sure . Helen is still in shock mode...angry and not so Happy.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Ouch - hurts just to read about it! Totally unacceptable behavior all the way around. I hope you don't have to get a lawyer involved but it may be the only way to get what is fair out of them in this situation. You may try putting some pressure on them further up the food chain but I doubt it would help.

Where is YOUR insurance agent that should be standing there on your side to represent not only YOU, but their company from loss.........In the past, I have found it more than helpful to MY side when I have kept them in the loop......They actually stand behind you in most cases.........God bless Helen on this totally unfortunate test of her patience............Dennis

Welcome to the club.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Oh, he kept directing his replies to me...
    This never goes over well with Debbie.

Hope the dealer makes things right.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisDarrow View Post
    Where is YOUR insurance agent that should be standing there on your side to represent not only YOU, but their company from loss.........In the past, I have found it more than helpful to MY side when I have kept them in the loop......They actually stand behind you in most cases.........God bless Helen on this totally unfortunate test of her patience............Dennis
    +10

Thanks guys...just venting a bit.
    yes, our agent we know very well is working with us.Just chatted with a club member who is an attorney who will help as well. I feel better about the situation after that conversation.
    Helen does not care for that type of talking down to...she will be listened and talked to with respect. Patience however is not a strong suit That's why we work well as a team.
    Steve Henson
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Being on the old side, I still remember when caring about other peoples property was taught........when people don't exhibit it on their own
    Good luck with another piece of needless aggravation Steve.
    Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Type M for Moderator
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

As a white male I have never been on the receiving end of gender based disregard. However just this week, I got called to look at a construction site where a contractor was not doing what the specifications called for. The project?s inspector had told the contractor to make it right, but the inspector is a woman and the contractor both pushed back and blew her off. She called me and I simply repeated her request and the work was done by the end of the same day. This kind of unprofessional behavior costs projects money and degrades informed, educated professionals who happen to be women. It sounds like Helen is familiar with this behavior and is ?loaded for bear? in preparation for dealing with it. And rightly so.

First, much empathy for you and Helen. Second, when did insurance companies and lawyers get into the law enforcement business? I'm really frustrated with law enforcement punting to the insurance company to make it right, and of course they pay pennies on the dollar so we have to hire a lawyer. It won't do any of us any good to have insurance replace our stolen or damaged property if the perpetrators are still loose to steal again. I'm not really sure how long a civilized society can continue to function in this matter. It always makes me angry when bad things like this happen to good people, and though I don't personally know the Henzilla duo, I have a strong sense they are good.
    2005 R1200RT Ursula Von Reisetourer
    2001 F650 GS Gerdy Von Gelande Strasse
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Within her imperfections there... dwells perfection in mine eyes."

The last three vehicles we purchased (2 bikes and a car) were done solely by Annie. I was at the dealership in each case but wandered aimlessly around the building as she made the deal. On one bike I went for a test ride and she had made a deal before I got back. Works well for us, probably because she is less committed to buying then I am.

Please convey our sympathies to Helen and to the GM and Service Manager as well, should they continue to irritate her.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

I think one of the causalities of our litigious society is that people are extremely reluctant to admit they made a mistake under the guise that it will cost them more. Unfortunately, that usually just pisses off the other party, and things end up escalating. Often, an apology would defuse the situation and end up being less costly. And, in the Henzilla's case, there's no doubt who's at fault, so an apology from the onset would not have increased their liability one bit.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

Quote Originally Posted by 88bmwjeff View Post
    I think one of the causalities of our litigious society is that people are extremely reluctant to admit they made a mistake under the guise that it will cost them more. Unfortunately, that usually just pisses off the other party, and things end up escalating. Often, an apology would defuse the situation and end up being less costly. And, in the Henzilla's case, there's no doubt who's at fault, so an apology from the onset would not have increased their liability one bit.
    Agreed. Very perceptive of you. Our society seems to have morphed into one where not admitting your mistake has become a social norm.
    2005 R1200RT Ursula Von Reisetourer
    2001 F650 GS Gerdy Von Gelande Strasse
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Within her imperfections there... dwells perfection in mine eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by 88bmwjeff View Post
    Often, an apology would defuse the situation and end up being less costly. And, in the Henzilla's case, there's no doubt who's at fault, so an apology from the onset would not have increased their liability one bit.
    That is what she was amazed the most about....well, that and her missing Jeep.
    Would have changed the whole tone and first impressions.
    Steve Henson

Tell Helen that I had a similar experience when I went to a dealer with my brother-in-law. I made it known when I walked in the door that I was the buyer. The salesman talked to my brother-in-law the whole time. We walked out and I purchased a new vehicle from another dealer. Sometimes, they just don't have a clue. #$&*#!%
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT
    MOA-133005, RA32109, IBA #37923