Thread: 650 single top speed

650 single top speed

It's winter, even down here in Texas, and I'm daydreaming of winter bike projects. One of those daydreams has to do with making a cafe bike out of a 650 single. So my question to the 650 riders on this forum is just how fast will a 650 single go?
    Paul Mulhern
    MOA# 56330
    '05 1200GS Big Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Texpaul View Post
    It's winter, even down here in Texas, and I'm daydreaming of winter bike projects. One of those daydreams has to do with making a cafe bike out of a 650 single. So my question to the 650 riders on this forum is just how fast will a 650 single go?
    I had a G650GS up to a few mph over 100 last week. It pulled pretty well up through 95 and then crept on up and was still climbing a bit when I rolled off. I'm 5'9" 190 lbs and got down in a tuck on it. It does pretty well for a 650 single and will wheelie easily in the first couple of gears.
    2012 K1600GT, Vermillion Red (for the epic road trips)
    2013 S1000RR, Granite Gray (for the track)
    2014 KLR 650, White/Black (for the TAT)

650 Top Speed

"Top Speed" (seems to be an online motorcycle magazine) test of the G 650 GS said 106 mph. I seem to remember something like that once. That was with a tall windshield, a one tooth larger countershaft sprocket and a less than trim rider.

It loves to run at 85 mph with the bigger sprocket.

Wayne Koppa
    Grayling, MI
    71,449 Life

On a long, long, long straight road, I've had my 650 single on 110 mph. I was tucked in with no bags, etc. I am a small woman (no I'm not giving my weight). It didn't feel as stable as I would like, and I don't do this often, but it sure is fun every now and then. Gail

Quote Originally Posted by Texpaul View Post
    I have been having a similar day dream. Wheels, front wheels in particular, have me wondering. I would like a 17" front rather than the stock 19" rim. I have not done the math to project how this would impact steering head angle. That would in large part depend on wheel and tire selection. The goal is partly for looks but mainly to improve handling in the squiggly bits of road.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

I think a lot would depend on what year model single you use as your base. If you go with a later model I believe you could use parts off the twins since they share many components. In other words you might be able to graft a 17 inch front end off of a 800R onto a single.
    It's all theory at this point but makes great beer talk.
    Paul Mulhern
    MOA# 56330
    '05 1200GS Big Blue

The front end graph is clearly an option. I have yet to decide on what a donor bike to start fleshing out the project details.

My daydream project would end up leaning in the supermoto direction. When you say Cafe project what do you have in mind?

That's part of the problem, what will the finished product look like? On one had I see a single with 17 inch wheels, dual front disks, tricked out motor, super light, streetfighter sort of bike. On the other, less expensive side, I see something more closely resembling a old classic single. It would be simple, light and built for handling and fun. Basically just improved suspension, better tires, low weight, low bars, rearsets.
    So many ideas, so little money.
    Paul Mulhern
    MOA# 56330
    '05 1200GS Big Blue

For me it is a purely mental exercise to develop the process I would put my Roadster through...maybe.

FWIW: I saw a post on BikeEXIF, but have not read it yet. 12 Steps to building a cafe racer. It showed up on their facebook site yesterday. Might be worth a read if only to help frame the scope. I find answers for project problems are easy, but finding the right questions and precess a bit more difficult.