• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Post a Photo of your K-bike

K75, cont...

Engine guards, 37,000 miles, brand new Michelins

thought I was done but this popped up locally...
2 owner, all papers, 5,000 original miles, unmolested, even the original Metzeler tires...

Yes, the mileage is correct...

Check out the minty newness of the exhaust and wheels...

I think I'm done for a while...
Wife asks- "is that a different one?"
I'm not sure how to answer...

1986 K100RS "Turbo"

Turbo number 003 manufactured by R & B Racing in 1985,

Does anyone know of other Turbo K bikes out there?

Don

Mystic, CT

IMG_2536 copy.jpg

IMG_3279.jpg

Turbo number 003 manufactured by R & B Racing in 1985,

Does anyone know of other Turbo K bikes out there?

Don

Mystic, CT

Too cool. You bought from R&B? I always heard they were a chore to deal with. Drake (Frakenduck) over on motobrick.com used to have a Luftmeister K75, but idk if he still does. I think he's down to like only 8 bikes now. :dunno I see a transmission from a turbo bike for sale on his site, so I think maybe not.

I bought the bike already restored to a #10 condition.

I know where SN #018 is in Vermont.

I am interested if there are any other survivors out there.

According to RB there were 20 kits made for Luftmeister before Luftmeister went belly up.

Maybe up to two hundred for the later K bike series.

Don

My k75s

I purchased this bike from Max BMW in South Windsor CT in April. You probably will not believe it but the bike had 430, yes thats four hundred and thirty original miles logged. I have an affidavit from the original owner. I immediatly dismantled the bike when I got it home to check and to my somewhat experienced eyes the claim was justified. I have owned several bikes in my fifty years of riding and have wrenched every one of them. The first order of business after riding it for about 100 miles was to replace all the rubber associated with the fuel, coolant and oil system that I thought was suspect, it was many items, tires included. I have been riding the bike and discovering things that I suspected would show up. I have logged about 800 miles off and on since purchase. I owned a 1984 BMW R100RT for 14 years and find this bike to be smooth to a point. I also own and ride a 2007 Triumph Bonneville and a 1971 Norton Commando. The K is fun to ride and the handling is excellent. Hopefully I,ll ride this bike until I cannot ride any longer. The websites dedicated to the maintenance of these bikes have been a major factor in my ability to aquire and maintain it. This is a 1987 K75S.

Attachments

• IMG_1474.jpg
    IMG_1474.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 293
Commando,

Welcome to the forum!

K75Ss are my soft spot. I own 5 of them. I would own more if I had room to park them.

The one I ride and like the best is an '87. What are the last 3 numbers of your VIN? Curious to know how early it is, especially since someone thought it was a collector rather than a rider from day one.

Be VERY careful with that tall windscreen. There is a sticker on the top of your tool box warning not to exceed 99 mph with the STOCK windscreen due to the weak mounting. The taller the screen, the more leverage generated to pull out the lower mounts (the uppper two mounts are virtually useless). Keep the speed lower with that tall screen.

Don't store it in the sunlight. That color was notorious for fadeing and changing to a copper rainbow color. That happened to mine before a previous owner repainted it to a '88 Marrakesch Red.

Surprised someone would change the screen, add a laminar lip, change the grips, add barbacks, and add gaitors to only ride 400 miles. These early bikes were notorious for the instrument cluster failing and being replaced with a new, zero mile cluster. Look for ANY shiny spots on the peg plate where the side of a boot heel would wear off the dull aluminum finish. 400 miles would show no wear. Mileage on these bikes really doesn't matter. Infact, usually the lower the mileage the less maintenance it's had. But, then again, just because a bike has had lots of maintenance doesn't mean it was done right. Case in point, the bike that I have in my shop right now.

Very curious about that VIN.

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
My k75s

I neglected to mention that I am the installer of the barbacks and the windscreen and laminar lip. I am six feet 1 and the original windscreen did not impress me. In addition the riders pegs and side plates showed no discernable wear, after removing the airbox and plenum and discovering a small amount of dirt and nothing else along with old spiders nests behind the radiator and side brackets I am convinced that this is a very very low mileage bike. I am 67 years old and have absolutely no intention of running the bike up to the ton, however I did note the leverage factor for the windscreen and have monitored the effects of wind on it up to 85 mph on the highway. With that in mind I must admit the screen and the lip perform as advertised as I can ride at highway speeds with my visor up on my Nolan full face and my goggles off when wearing my Davida open face helmets. Great bike and it continues to thrill me.The vin is 0150293

Attachments

• IMG_1477.jpg
    IMG_1477.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_1469.jpg
    IMG_1469.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 265
293 is the 293rd US spec. K75S produced. It was built May 27, 1986.

As I had said, mileage on these bikes is really not important. Condition is everything and yours looks amazing.

That being said, my suspicions are correct. The instrument cluster on that bike has been replaced. The tach face is obviously a post '92 tach face. Around 1992, BMW eliminated the switch on the throttlebodies that turned on the yellow light in the lower left of the tach face. They also eliminated the choke emblem to the left of the light. The bulb and the wiring are still there, so your light probably still works with the choke. But you are obviously missing the emblem, so that confirms that the cluster was changed sometime after it left the factory. These were always installed with zero miles on the odometer, so it was probably pretty recently. Most dealers would put a 1" x 2" white paper tag on the left frame rail under the seat. The tag would tell what the mileage on the old odometer was.

Another difference on the newer clusters were the addition of two 1/2" round white gortex vents on the back. This was to vent moisture build up inside that caused failures. This change came along before the choke emblem elimination, but well after your bike was built. There was usually a date of manufacture stamped in 3/16" white ink on the back cover of the cluster.

You have a great case for getting compensated from Max for misrepresenting the mileage (probably NOT knowingly) but it is still NOT what you bought. I'm sure you paid a premium based on the crazy low mileage. It very well still could be a very low mileage bike, but Max SHOULD be willing to refund some of that premium. ALL states take a very dim view of misrepresenting mileage on vehicles and dealers don't ever want anything to do with that. I definitely wouldn't accept an offer to take the bike back, but maybe something that gets the price near $3,500 or a minimum of $500 back not knowing what you paid for it. You definitely have all the leverage.

That one definitely looks like a keeper, but a great bike for less money is always a better deal. This is a good thing as you got a bike that you like in amazing condition and now have leverage to get some money back without too much hassel.

I AM kind of suprised that the original owner would perjure himself like that though.

My k75s

I suspected the same, however not being in a position to prove it and considering the overall condition of the bike I am satisfied with it. The front fairing, part with the logo had been damaged under the windscreen and an attempt to paint it was made, also the fairing center piece had a small crack in it. I suspect that something heavy dropped on the forward section of the fairing breaking the original windscreen and chipping the top coaming from the front fairing in the corner. The side sections and all the other parts of the fairing had production dates that were within the production date of the bike. This of course is all conjecture on my part and the evidence that I see after taking the bike apart satisfies me that I did not get fleeced. Frankly this motorcycle spent much of its 29 years in a very protected environment. I have replaced the damaged fairing. pieces and painted them myself.I enjoy working on the bike as much as riding it and I am sure it will be an ongoing rehabilitation, which I do not mind. The forums here and at several other sites are a gold mine of information, would have been nice 40 or more years ago when I was starting out on Brit motorcycles. Thank you for the information, the Dealer has been fair with me and I cannot blame them for my ignorance. Craig

Commando, mine started out that color and faded to the copper-white Lee mentioned. It was repainted, temporally used as a tug for a sidecar, painted again, wrecked & destroyed the bodywork, did the cafe thing for a couple years then found used bodywork and painted again. 180k plus now and it looks it, but still a blast to ride. Seeing yours brings back memories!

My k75s

Thanks for the info and kind words. Since both of you, 98lee and 35634, have vastly more experience on this model than I ,I would like to ask a few questions. I have logged almost 1000 miles since purchase and note that around town or country roads riding which rarely exceeds 50-60 mph I note a annoying buzz in the handle bars which make my hands numb after say 80 miles. Conversely when on the highway at speeds exceeding 70 mph the buzz starts to affect my hands almost immediately. I do not remember my R100RT doing this and I of course thought that a three cylinder inline engine would be even smoother. Do either of you gentlemen know the cause and what may be done to minimize it? Additionally, when I start the bike at any time I thought I was supposed to hear the fuel pump start when the key was turned to the on position, I have never heard it even with my ear to the tank, am I all wet on this? Thanks for any info you may give me. Craig

Craig,

Since this area is primarily for photos, I'm going to move this question to it's own thread titled 1987 K75S Vibration. I'll move it tomorrow.

You should not have vibration or buzziness on a K75. I would first check tire balance and tire trueness.
Next, I would check for proper engine function (valve adjust, plug condition, throttle body balance, filters, vacuum leaks, crank case vent hose, proper tank venting, etc.)

The fuel pump does not come on with the key. It will come on for a few seconds when the starter button is pushed. If the bike is running (sensed by a signal from the Hall effect sensor), it will continue to run.

My 2005 K1200LT sitting next to the Clark Fork River along Hwy200 in Idaho

KLT and duck by Idaho's Clark Fork River.jpg

Yes, it's a rubber duck sitting on the bike. Smoky background. It's forest fire season here.

Bob

I've already posted some photos under the title :K75 Rejuventaion", but since you're asking:
DSCN0655_zpsmuqswjke.jpg
1992 with 37K, picked it up 3 weeks ago, photo was taken when I got home and unloaded it. In the process of performing maintenance items. Well taken care of, but I want to know all's been done before heading out on a trip. Planning on riding it to the Cajun Swamp Scooter Rally in November. Looking forward to having that fairing and heated grips for cold weather riding, my Ninja and Shiver get a bit frosty in winter

1992 k75s

Nice pictures you have all posted. Here is mine I've owned for a year now. They're fantastic machines and I am glad I have this one. This picture was shot in the Santa Monica Mtns. IMG_20150808_174646_841.jpg

Last edited:
I've been told by those in the know that blue K's are the best handling of the flying brick series. Who am I to disagree. :wave

Back