• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Post a Photo of your K-bike

Gorgeous!

I love it, I wish my old K looked that nice, it will probably get painted this summer. (I dropped it.....):banghead

K100s are on the top heavy side. I know I ride a K100RT. A set of case savers, crash bars, can help keep the bike from sustaining a lot of damage in walking speed tipovers. Much easier to sand and paint black bars than painted rear view mirrors,fairing pieces, etc.. Also much easier to pick up bike laying on the case savers and not the bike itself. In a real crash, case savers are going to get destroyed, just talking about walking the bike speed tip over here.

K100s are on the top heavy side. I know I ride a K100RT. A set of case savers, crash bars, can help keep the bike from sustaining a lot of damage in walking speed tipovers. Much easier to sand and paint black bars than painted rear view mirrors,fairing pieces, etc.. Also much easier to pick up bike laying on the case savers and not the bike itself. In a real crash, case savers are going to get destroyed, just talking about walking the bike speed tip over here.

Barry, when you refer to case savers, are you referring to the cases or are there some rear panniers' crash bars available like HD and GW have?

Engine case savers. Bars that go around the engine. I think BMW built rear safety bars for the police K bikes. Those were a little wider than the smaller police style saddlebags. I don't think BMW built wider safety bars that would protect the BMW regular size intragal bags.

show me your k

thanks burnzilla for the idea of sending in pics of k-bikes. being snowed in and down with the flu for 2 days its been the highlight of my day looking at the pics and reading there storys.
gail, i too love the blue but the red ones are hot too
rus:dance

Here's my long distance cruiser.
IMG_0300.JPG

85 K100RT....got all new front end bodywork for Xmas!

attachment.php

Attachments

• 85k100rt.jpg
    85k100rt.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 1,383
The Color Chrome Allusion

Watch the color change.

ROC

Attachments

• 04 NAT, 16UASA,  BOONE RALLY 127.jpg
    04 NAT, 16UASA, BOONE RALLY 127.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 854
Two Space Ships!

The Aliens are watching that cool M/C.: :wave

Roc Roc

Attachments

• Brothers, Uncles,Graduation, and  Outer  banks 110.jpg
    Brothers, Uncles,Graduation, and Outer banks 110.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 854
Nice K1 you got there, Spanky! :thumb

-MTS

You mean had as in it's no longer in my possession. It was as pretty in real life as it looked in the photo and with some minor cosmetic work could have been made to look showroom new. I bought the luggage from another K1 owner and then ended up buying every set I could get my hands on. I eventually had four complete sets of luggage & tank bags w/rain covers at one time before selling them off at the beginning of the riding season. Many K1 owners had no idea how rare the rear luggage was so I was picking up sets as cheap as $100 and selling them for $350 - $400 for the rears and up to $250 for the tank bag.

Anyway, I sold the K1 to an older gent from Arizona who'd always lusted after one but he kept it only six months before giving it to his son in Chicago. It was a fun bike to own but ergonomically speaking it killed me to ride it more than a few hundred miles at a time. I once did a 300+ mile day on it and could barely get off it when I got home.

I can forgive a bike's shortcomings to a certain extent but in the end the deal killer for me was the K1's battleship turning radius.

But I'd own one again if'n I had the bucks!:thumb

The Infamous K1 Ergonomics (or lack thereof)

You mean had as in it's no longer in my possession. It was as pretty in real life as it looked in the photo and with some minor cosmetic work could have been made to look showroom new.

That's too bad.... But, man, what a choice for your first Beemer! :whistle

I bought the luggage from another K1 owner and then ended up buying every set I could get my hands on. I eventually had four complete sets of luggage & tank bags w/rain covers at one time before selling them off at the beginning of the riding season. Many K1 owners had no idea how rare the rear luggage was so I was picking up sets as cheap as $100 and selling them for $350 - $400 for the rears and up to $250 for the tank bag.

I hear ya. Once bought a set of factory K1 luggage for--get this--twenty-five bucks. :deal It was a bit worn and dirty, but perfectly functional after a good cleaning.

Anyway, I sold the K1 to an older gent from Arizona who'd always lusted after one but he kept it only six months before giving it to his son in Chicago. It was a fun bike to own but ergonomically speaking it killed me to ride it more than a few hundred miles at a time. I once did a 300+ mile day on it and could barely get off it when I got home.

Heheh. :heh Ah yes, the infamous K1 ergonomics. You do realize of course that the position of K1 foot pegs was established during the Spanish Inquisition, right?

Rode my '91 K1 up to Michigan for the RA rally last summer. Even did an unplanned and unsanctioned Iron Butt ride (Saddle Sore 1000) by taking the long way home on the last leg of that trip--Waukegan, IL to C'vile via Bowling Green, KY. My knees were crying for mercy by the end of that one.

I can forgive a bike's shortcomings to a certain extent but in the end the deal killer for me was the K1's battleship turning radius.

Well, yeah, there is that too. But the upside is that one can pretend all those high-speed sweepers are tight and technically challenging twisties while riding a K1. :twirl

-MTS (who loves the K1, but must admit that it's no RS or GT in the tight stuff)

Back