• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a Photo of your K-bike

My 93' K1100RS. Gone but not forgotten, best bike I've had......so far.

Sweet! Where was that photo taken? Looks like out near Del Rio (Amistad? Langtry?) or maybe further west... Big Bend country, perhaps?

-MTS

K Bike

Sweet! Where was that photo taken? Looks like out near Del Rio (Amistad? Langtry?) or maybe further west... Big Bend country, perhaps?

-MTS

Thanks, yes, further west. That was off I-70 in Utah while coming back from the 2001 National Rally in Oregon. The best interstate riding I have seen, the interstate dropped down thru the V-notch behind me and you could see for miles and miles.

Good "Slab" Riding

Thanks, yes, further west. That was off I-70 in Utah while coming back from the 2001 National Rally in Oregon. The best interstate riding I have seen, the interstate dropped down thru the V-notch behind me and you could see for miles and miles.

Yeah, I agree. If you simply must take the slab, I-70 anywhere west of Denver ain't bad. Another decent interstate ride (as interstates go) is I-90 between Coeur d'Alene and Missoula.

-MTS

Sargent00240.jpg

Sargent00140.jpg

Riding Mountain

My favorite morning ride is from Dauphin to Clear Lake, Riding Mountain. I usually enjoy a coffee as I look over the lake before heading on. ItÔÇÖs a curvy road. Watch out for the Moose, Elk, Bear etc. in the early morning mist along the road. DArcy

1990 K75s Recent restoration

The paint is still drying.

Attachments

• 20090327_bmw_120b.jpg
    20090327_bmw_120b.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 802

photo 2

Attachments

• 20090327_bmw_115.jpg
    20090327_bmw_115.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 795

Photo 3

Attachments

• 20090327_bmw_118.jpg
    20090327_bmw_118.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 796
Beautiful job, Craig!

Great to see an orange K75S---same color I'm considering for mine soon (only would be more of a neon bright orange if I go with it).

Did you spray it yourself or have it done? Looks very well done, indeed.

Would certainly be interested in hearing all about it, type of paint, etc. at your convenience if you are so inclined.

Its actually the standard "Ducati Red". It has just a bit more yellow in it than the BMW Red. I had a friend paint it, he owns a shop here in Pittsburgh. His name David Ley, let me know if yoy want his information. I did the body work and primer, he painted it and clear coated. I did the final sanding and polishing. The color was from PPG. In the PPG system its listed as Ducati Red.

Its actually the standard "Ducati Red". It has just a bit more yellow in it than the BMW Red. I had a friend paint it, he owns a shop here in Pittsburgh. His name David Ley, let me know if yoy want his information. I did the body work and primer, he painted it and clear coated. I did the final sanding and polishing. The color was from PPG. In the PPG system its listed as Ducati Red.

Thanks for the details, Craig. I might be interested in sending David my tupperware if need be but I plan to DIY it first as best as I possibly can.

I've heard that PPG is excellent hard paint to use and will try to find it at a shop here on the island. I got a little Preval Sprayer at Home Depot the other day---and while it might work OK with some good paint in it---I'm leaning towards the whole hog route: compressor, regulator, water filter(s), detail gun, full suit & respirator, etc.

I'm especially curious as to your prep work as I've been wondering if it is necessary to sand down to bare plastic? My paint is already good, so if I wet sand with 600/1000 perhaps I could lay down the color coat then? If not, did you or David use a certain type of plastic primer before the color coat?

Don't want to hijack this thread any further so if you care to respond via PM that's fine, I'm all ears. Thanks again and congrats on a great-looking bike!

K75_1.jpg

Craigt....I'm glad to know the color. My bikes second owner repainted it a great red (with a little more yellow than most reds) rather than the original "675." It's faded now and chipped, has a couple of rattle can touchups and wasn't a very good paint job to begin with. I keep wanting to repaint it, but the bike never sits still.

It's a great red for being seen. Few people pull out in front of me.

Back