• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Post a Photo of your K-bike

My '95 K75RT circa 1998. Sadly, I no longer fit into the leathers...

i-hDW2n75-L.jpg

My 1999 K1200LT

Have had this LT for right at 2 years now. Have put 34,200 miles on it in that time. Not that many but I have 2 other bikes, an '02 GL-1800 with a little over 71,000 miles and an '09 KLR-650 with 14,xxx that's been on the TAT into north central OK from Valdosta up to Jellico, TN where the trail starts. This trailer, an '07 Hannigan Europa II was originally color matched to the champagne colored GL, but since finding the LT we ride that the most and I finally just had it painted to match the LT last year. Pulls so nice on the bike with the Dauntless hitch that you don't know it's there.

LT_Hannigan_2.jpg

Second picture was recently taken Oct 8, 2012 just a couple of weeks before Sandy hit the East coast. I was on back roads in West Virginia coming back from a 13 state trip to pick up my last 5 states in the North East of Delaware, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island and Massachusetts. Riding through Philadelphia and then into New Jersey and finally New York and over the George Washington Bridge early in the evening. Quite a sight.
LTonWestVirginiaBackRoad.jpg

This is my 1990 K 75 RT and my 1978 R 80/7 They have been sleeping together for awhile and seem to be a happy couple.

Attachments

• IMG_0022.jpg
    IMG_0022.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 420
'85 K100RS
Picked up last month, lots of fun on the freeway last week. Haven't been able to get to the canyons yet.

Attachments

• Brick.jpg
    Brick.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 388
Thanksgiving Day in Oklahoma. A fantastic 80 degrees :clap

Took a ride up to Skiatook lake north of Tulsa to test all of my recent wrenching and tuning.

Attachments

• Skiatook1.jpg
    Skiatook1.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 359
Lee, But it's not painted red. You still like it? Personally, I think yellow is great color for a K75,but I don't care for the factory yellow very much.

Not the best picture, but here is my silver '95.

Attachments

• Corbin seat 1.jpg
    Corbin seat 1.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 337
Hey Lynn; Be aware that Lee only likes Marrakesh Red and Dakar Yellow! When I got rid of that scrambled-egg yellow on my bike in favor of a Mercedes Steel Grey Metallic and polished out a lot of the aluminum he never stop chiding me about it.:D:nyah:nono:brow

No worries, though; it's a small price to pay for all of his helpfulness and K knowledge here.

I like your silver K and that chromed heat shield really adds a nice touch, too:clap!

I knew that Lee liked Marrakesh Red, but did not know he enjoys banana slug yellow K bikes. From what I understand, Dakar Yellow is a North America only color.

It is nice to know that someone else likes silver Flying Bricks. I wanted a white, blue or silver bike with a low seat and three spoke wheels. This bike had all the bells and whistles that I would have added and then some. What are the chances of finding a 17 year old bike that is exactly what you want?

I have been told that the chrome heat shield is not very common. Just one more thing I have to polish.

Last edited:
Scrambled egg yellow? Banana slug yellow? Tough guys like silver huh? :stick

What? You don't like silver?

When my wife saw a Dakar Yellow bike like yours, she nicknamed it Daffodil. Personally, I would not want to be seen on a K bike named Daffodil, or Buttercup, or any other flower. Is your bike named after a flower?

If I rode a bike the color of egg yokes, I would always be hungry and just ride from Denny's to Denny's and then on to the closest burger joint, etc.
After a short time, I would weigh more than the bike was designed to handle. Then I might have to do something rash, like purchase a boxer.

Actually, I think K75's look sharp in the color yellow. Orange too. I just don't like the pastel yellow that the factory picked for the bikes.

Such a strong response to a given color seems to have a physiological order attached. There is a Munsell color test on line you can take to check for color blindness in any given hue ;)

What? You don't like silver?

When my wife saw a Dakar Yellow bike like yours, she nicknamed it Daffodil. Personally, I would not want to be seen on a K bike named Daffodil, or Buttercup, or any other flower. Is your bike named after a flower?

Actually, I think K75's look sharp in the color yellow. Orange too. I just don't like the pastel yellow that the factory picked for the bikes.

This is quite a kick, Lynn, as my former Dakar yellow K75 was also nick-named "Dafodil" by the PO's wife!

The main reasons I bought it despite the color were it had all the features/options I wanted, the mileage was low and it appeared to be in pristine condition. There weren't too many nice K75Ss for sale around that time, either.
I also thought that the yellow might be a bit brighter in person than in the photos I had seen on IBMWR. Flew from Hawaii to Georgia to make the buy and ride back to the West Coast for shipment.
That all went well and when we uncrated the bike near the port in Hawaii my wife immediately changed it's name to "Chiquita" and I agreed that that was a tad better than riding around on a Dafodil.

I also agree with your comment about yellow for a bike; a much brighter shade such as seen on Porsches or my Nolan helmet would have been great; but alas, those in the design department at BMW chose that yucky pastel instead. Perhaps it has some significance in Senegal but I don't know, never been to Dakar or any other part of that country so I can't say.

I used to have a Mercedes 280SE 4.5 that was silver, an Alfa Romeo Spyder that was silver and when I bought my '85 K100RS off the showroom floor I almost bought the silver one parked next to the Red Metallic one that I finally decided on. I think silver and grey are very cool, especially on Teutonic machines such as ours.:german (but that Rot Metallik was hot!)

While it took me a while to actually strip the tank down to bare aluminum and polish it out, get the rest of the bike painted in Mercede's Tenoritgrau (steel gray) at least the only scrambled egg color around my house was on my breakfast plate thereafter.

Here's the before and after shots so it can be seen how much I wanted to change the color:

(but before I go let me also add that I'm a strong believer in "To each his own" and I don't mean to step on Slipster's or anyone elses toes here. But Dakar Yellow or anything close is simply not my cup of tea.)

CHIQUITA:

COINSbiglot099.jpg

and now BERLINA

BerlinaS-BAHN26March10043.jpg

9-monthupdate009.jpg

Nice job Zag. Do you have any glare hassles coming off the tank on a sunny day? Glint though would be good to be seen by cagers which is why I like high contrast colors on bikes.

Back