Thread: 1992 K75S - Hose on front of engine

Boone, NC (Mountains of Western North Carolina)

1992 K75S - Hose on front of engine

Can someone tell me if the hose on the front/center of the engine should be there. I am thinking my 1994 does not have the hose, but is instead capped (I don't have the 94 to look at here). The hose attaches to the front of the block and goes to a small check valve of some sort, then to the bottom of the gas tank. The hose is cracked and needs to be replaced if I don't need to cap it. See photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ed Evans - - Semper Fi
    '94 K75 '92 K75S
    "Always do more than expected." Coach Jerry Moore, ASU

Originally the fuel tank vent hose went to the engine crankcase via that stub pipe. The theory being that the fumes would be captured. Horrible idea. If fuel in a full tank expanded on a warm sunny day it would dump raw fuel into the engine oil in the crankcase. Oil diluted with gasoline is a poor lubricant. Engine damage did happen.

So, the fuel tank vent needs to be redirected. On the K75 there are two ways to do so. One is to install a vent hose that goes down and back to the vicinity of the right foot peg plate along side the filler drain hose.

Here is the other option. BMW makes a part which simplifies these hoses. It is a square shaped black plastic funnel which clips to the frame and frame crossbar right beneath where the vent and drain pipes stick out from the bottom of the tank. A single hose runs from this little funnel down behind the footpeg plate where the original drain line went.

This little funnel is called an "air accumulator" and the part # is: 16 13 2 307 467

Courtesy PGlaves

Found this in the library.
    I asked the same question last year sometime.
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by 13278 View Post
    Found this in the library.
    I asked the same question last year sometime.
    Charlie
    And my answer remains the same.

But I would add that a cap needs to be placed over the stub pipe at the crankcase.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar
    I did this too. It makes getting the tank on and off so much easier!
    1988 K75 Low Seat
    2009 R1200R Roadster

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post

But I would add that a cap needs to be placed over the stub pipe at the crankcase.
    That is VERY important! Otherwise a vacuum leak to the induction is created, as the crankcase is vented to the intake plenum. Since this is past the air meter, the bike will run very lean and cause several serious problems.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Thank you all for your input on this issue. I was pretty sure I did not want to leave that hose in place, but just was not sure. I appreciate all the good info. Now, on to bigger and better. Eleven weeks ago I took all the fairing/plastic off the K75S to have it painted, automobile BMW Space Gray. I had planned to put it all back together within a couple of weeks, but the painter did not get the painting done when he said he would. In fact, he was 9 weeks and 5 days late. It has been so long now that I have got to try to figure out how to get it back together. I know where the major components go, but I'm unsure of attaching hardware, and the order in which I disassembled. I hope it will be a beauty when finished. Here is a photo of the parts painted. I just put on a new to me 50amp alternator, radiator fan motor, and changed the exhaust from an almost new StainTune back to the BMW OEM unit. Thanks again for the help.
    Ed Evans - - Semper Fi
    '94 K75 '92 K75S

3 Red Bricks
    Ed,

Nice color!

Where's the radiator cover and the rear grab handles?

If you get stuck, PM me your phone # and I'll talk you through it.

Make sure you replace the 4 little white nylon windscreen mounting retainers with NEW ones.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    Ed,

Where's the radiator cover and the rear grab handles?

Thanks for the offer. I may give you a call. It will be another two weeks before I can start now as I'm headed south to warmer air.

The painter told me he brought everything but three pieces. Two of those are the handles. I don't remember the third. I have the radiator screen in a different pile. Still have to paint it. Thanks Lee.
    Ed Evans - - Semper Fi
    '94 K75 '92 K75S

Ed,

Make sure you replace the 4 little white nylon windscreen mounting retainers with NEW ones.

Lee, is the part number for the "4 while nylon windscreen mounting retainers" shown here as part number 4 (07 12 9 901 645 BODY NUT), or are you referring to something else?

Thanks,
    Ed
    Ed Evans - - Semper Fi
    '94 K75 '92 K75S

I am not sure what it is about bike part painters. Either they think in geologic time or are congenital liars. I have never had a part painted that was done in anything even closely resembling the promised time.

I know that for some of them they are fitting the bike parts in between real jobs like cars, or busses, or trucks, or something, but still. Weeks or months late is ridiculous.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I am not sure what it is about bike part painters. Either they think in geologic time or are congenital liars. I have never had a part painted that was done in anything even closely resembling the promised time.

I know that for some of them they are fitting the bike parts in between real jobs like cars, or busses, or trucks, or something, but still. Weeks or months late is ridiculous.
    Paul, I suspect that your statement about "fitting the bike parts in between real jobs" is the problem. He did tell me that it had been a PITA. The clear coat cracked on a couple of pieces and he had to do them over. He told me he would bring the three missing pieces the next day. Now, it has been six days, and I have not seen him. At least I have not paid him yet. I told him I would pay when I got everything. Now, to see if he charges what he quoted!!
    Ed Evans - - Semper Fi
    '94 K75 '92 K75S

3 Red Bricks
    [QUOTE=heejrbmw;973300

The painter told me he brought everything but three pieces. Two of those are the handles. I don't remember the third. I have the radiator screen in a different pile.[/QUOTE]

The third part should be the painted radiator cover that surrounds the radiator screen.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by heejrbmw View Post
    Lee, is the part number for the "4 while nylon windscreen mounting retainers" shown here as part number 4 (07 12 9 901 645 BODY NUT)
    Thanks,
    Ed
    Yep.

They start to loose their holding ability after the windscreen has been on and off a few times.

Even when new, only the bottom two are doing all the work to keep the windscreen from folding back on you at speed. That's why there is a sticker on your bike and a note in the owners manual to not exceed something like 90 mph with the windscreen (and even less with saddlebags).

That's one of the reasons I'm not a very very big fan of the taller Aeroflow type screens. I frequently "test" the rating of the winscreen (plus a 30% safety margin).

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

The third part should be the painted radiator cover that surrounds the radiator screen.

Oh yeah. I forgot. I would have missed the radiator cover eventually. Thanks.
    Ed Evans - - Semper Fi
    '94 K75 '92 K75S

Yep.

They start to loose their holding ability after the windscreen has been on and off a few times. .

Ordered. Thank you!
    Ed Evans - - Semper Fi
    '94 K75 '92 K75S