• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Tires for an R75/6

steve10909

I am in the process of getting my R75/6 back on the road after a decade of not riding. I'm going through the bike piece by piece to make sure everything is OK and fix little problems that accumulated through the years. I intend to drain and replace all of the fluids, and grease, the obvious things, etc.

I need some advice in a couple of areas:
1 - What are the preferred tires these days? The set on the bike now are Contis.
2 - If I am completely replacing the brake fluids can I substitute DOT 4 or 5 for the DOT 3 that was orignally used?
3 - Are there any good reference books or articles that provide a complete list of things to inspect and be watchful for?

Thanks for the help.

Steve in NoVA

Steve,

Congratulations on getting the bike back on the road. I have used a Metzler 88 Marathon on the rear and Metzler Laser ME 33 the six years I've had my R75/6 and have been very happy. I want to say I've averaged around 9-10K on the rear and 14-16k on the front.

Regarding the break fluid - I use my dealer for most of my service, but I feel certain that I read DOT 5 is not compatable. Hopefully someone else will confirm that.

Not sure about any books to recommend, but I often read that the website for IBMWR has lots of good tech info.

Finally, if those Continentals have been on the bike for the last ten years, it probably would be a good idea to get them off before spending time on the road.

Steve,
I Just had a pair of Michelin's installed on my 90/S about 2 weeks ago.
No idea on how long they will last but.......They handle like a dream, I like them alot .

Good luck getting your bike back together

Hi Steve,
I should have told you ,
The tires are Michelin Macadam 50's.

Michelin Madacams

I have gone through two sets of Madacams and on both fronts they developed a BAD cupping problem. No problem with the Metzelers. The Michelin rep at the Midland National told me to switch back to Metzelers!!! I have heard they have fixed the problem but I've made up my mind already- no more Michelins for me. Have fun! Dave

Dave,

I ordered the tires before I got your message. I ordered the Michelans, because I didn't like the tread pattern on the Metzler back wheel. Michelan has altered the front wheel tread design a little. I think the call it the Macadam 50E, but I'll be watchfull for the cupping problem.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve:
OK, here's a tire curve (pun intended). I hve a K75 and an R80RT. I was going to the Cajun Rally (November) on the R bike and needed tires. Hated to put a new set on and let them sit all winter...so I checked with a cycle shop here in town to throw an economical brand on to get me to Louisiana and back: Shen Cheng or Shin Chang or something like that. Right at a hundred bucks for both tires!! Anyway, long story, I have 11,500 miles on these tires and the rear still looks to have a couple grand left in it!! Front looks fine (run air pressure 34-36 front, 36-38 back, mostly solo riding). I run the R on the highway 70-80mph. No serious hot dogging, but I don't creap down the road either. I have been very happy with them. Depending on your style, and just getting back into riding, you may want to consider the Shen Cheng for your 75/6. I run 491's on my K75 and have been happy with them, too, but I tend to run harder on the K than the R.

My hundred bucks worth.

Hawk Hawthorne
VP BMWMOA

I asked the same question and was told DOT 4 & 5 are NOT recommended. They will not react well with the brake system components and hoses. You would need to change everything possible and completely clean out anything else of every trace of DOT3. I would personally recommend ordering Speedbleeders for your calliper(s). Excellent value and they make the job simple and fast.

You may be aware of the following but they are worth mentioning once and a while anyway:

Get on the Airlist for EXCELLENT help from the guru's of airhead tech. Membership in the AIrheads is NOT required.

Check the following sites for help:

http://home.jps.net/~snowbum/techindex.htm

http://www.airheads.org/

http://pub217.ezboard.com/bairheadtechforum

Back