Thread: Wiring harness meltdown?

Wiring harness meltdown?

I'm a 30 year BMW rider, but have paid no attention to the F bikes. A friend of a friend rides a 2007 F650. Supposedly the wire harness melted when he was attempting to start the bike. Replacement cost is of course BMW staggering.
    Anyone know if this problem is prevalent? Known causes or cures? Any info at all?

TIA
    Jeff D

Quote Originally Posted by tonycarlos View Post
    I'm a 30 year BMW rider, but have paid no attention to the F bikes. A friend of a friend rides a 2007 F650. Supposedly the wire harness melted when he was attempting to start the bike. Replacement cost is of course BMW staggering.
    Anyone know if this problem is prevalent? Known causes or cures? Any info at all?

TIA
    Jeff D
    Voni has a 2007 F800S, I have a 2001 F650 and we previously both had F650 Funduros. So I've paid a lot of attention to F bikes over the years and this is the first harness meltdown I've heard of.

Harness meltdowns are usually caused by a short to ground somehow not protected by a fuse or equivilent. This is often in the harness but could be in a component connected to the harness. He needs to figure out as best he can what started the problem. He does not want to install a new harness only to power it up and have a shorted component - say starter for example - fry the new wiring.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

I had a friend who had some off and on electrical problems. One that I recall was a neutral light that worked only sporadically. He eventually found a spot where a wire bundle that was wrapped in tape had chaffed to the point where a couple of wires were exposed and a few others were close. I checked Annie's 07 650GS and her's had the beginnings of the same issue. The wires in question are located behind the rear shock adjustment knob. If I recall correctly the wires were rubbing on the mount to which the knob is attached. I was able to gain access to the wires without much effort. I retaped them and used a short piece of hard plastic wire loom. This was about 3-4 years ago and I think I posted a thread with pics. I'll see if I can find it.

PS. Found it

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....0GS&highlight=
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

"...when he was attempting to start the bike" strongly hints that there may be an issue with the starter or solenoid. That should be investigated when the harness is repaired, or it may happen again. And of course scrutinize ALL of the wiring.

Thanks guys, for all the suggestions. I'm taking them in and passing them along to the effected party.
    Good ideas, all.