• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Handlebar Grip Recommendation

It's time to replace my OEM grips and I'm interested in this group's collective wisdom on suitable replacements. I have heated inserts from the PO which I'd like to reuse but am open to replacing these if there is a grip available with these built in. Thanks in advance for your input!

handlebar grips

It's time to replace my OEM grips and I'm interested in this group's collective wisdom on suitable replacements. I have heated inserts from the PO which I'd like to reuse but am open to replacing these if there is a grip available with these built in. Thanks in advance for your input!

My '83 R100RS is equipped with Amal cushion grips and I'm very glad of it as they reduce transmitted vibration and are easier on the forearms ... I find the smaller diameter OEM grips on my 2013 F800GT less suitable for trips longer than 200 miles so I may decide to put the fatter style grips on it too. I think they used to be called BSA style grips but appeared on just about all the Brit machinery back in the day.

My '83 R100RS is equipped with Amal cushion grips and I'm very glad of it as they reduce transmitted vibration and are easier on the forearms ... I find the smaller diameter OEM grips on my 2013 F800GT less suitable for trips longer than 200 miles so I may decide to put the fatter style grips on it too. I think they used to be called BSA style grips but appeared on just about all the Brit machinery back in the day.

Can you provide pics?

I put Johar foam grips on the RS a few weeks ago: http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermark...-and-brake/grips-universal/johar-street-grips. I like them pretty well- much better than the BMW grips on the RS (where you have a fair amount of weight on your hands). I have foam grips on the K75 also, & like e'm.

In any event, I had not yet used the heated grips on the RS (it doesn't get that cold very often in SE Texas), so I tried them this week after I saw your post. I wasn't sure how well they would warm up since the foam is pretty thick. They let the heat through well enough, I thought- it was a 55 degree morning (not really cold enough for heated grips behind the RS fairing, if you ask me). The BMW grips were in pretty poor shape when I took them off (looked like they had been over-heated a few times, but likely had been on the bike for many years), so I'm not sure how well the foam would hold up with regular use of the heating elements over time. If you reuse your heating elements, be careful cutting off the old grips…
:beer

Amal grips

These are the genuine article.... pretty much bullet proof and comfortable, too. (they're even equipped with molded holes in the end for installation of handlebar streamers..?! huh??):D
amal grips.jpg
Can you provide pics?

These are the genuine article.... pretty much bullet proof and comfortable, too. (they're even equipped with molded holes in the end for installation of handlebar streamers..?! huh??):D
View attachment 47706

i had this style of grip years ago and didn't like them - especially on hot days because my hands would sweat and then slip n the smooth surface - so I would have to grip tighter to maintain my grip.

View attachment 47706

Are those 1" ID on both ? I cut my grips off the heat elements, and they are 1" OD...{04 Roadster}

I want to try the Amals or the foam style.

Here's a link to a hand grip discussion from this past September (pre-website "upgrade"), it had a lot of pictures; the image links are still there. Apparently when the site was upgraded the archival information was lost... :banghead

See > http://forums.bmwmoa.org/archive/index.php?t-74460.html

The OP was trying to identify a set of grips that he'd seen on another bike. They turned out to be Sunline Grand Touring Grips; Motorcycle Superstore offers them for $12 a pair. They're molded from a more "rubbery" material, and the texturing provide a bit more "stick".

0000_sunline_grand_touring_grips_black.jpg

Click her for a HUGE image

8621156258_c58d937845_c.jpg

Here's a link to a hand grip discussion from this past September (pre-website "upgrade"), it had a lot of pictures; the image links are still there. Apparently when the site was upgraded the archival information was lost... :banghead

See > http://forums.bmwmoa.org/archive/index.php?t-74460.html

The OP was trying to identify a set of grips that he'd seen on another bike. They turned out to be Sunline Grand Touring Grips; Motorcycle Superstore offers them for $12 a pair. They're molded from a more "rubbery" material, and the texturing provide a bit more "stick".

Says NLA - No longer available!!

I would like a pair myself!

Back