Thread: Handlebar Grip Recommendation

Handlebar Grip Recommendation

It's time to replace my OEM grips and I'm interested in this group's collective wisdom on suitable replacements. I have heated inserts from the PO which I'd like to reuse but am open to replacing these if there is a grip available with these built in. Thanks in advance for your input!
    Charlie P.
    1992 R100R

handlebar grips

Quote Originally Posted by 174713 View Post
    It's time to replace my OEM grips and I'm interested in this group's collective wisdom on suitable replacements. I have heated inserts from the PO which I'd like to reuse but am open to replacing these if there is a grip available with these built in. Thanks in advance for your input!

My '83 R100RS is equipped with Amal cushion grips and I'm very glad of it as they reduce transmitted vibration and are easier on the forearms ... I find the smaller diameter OEM grips on my 2013 F800GT less suitable for trips longer than 200 miles so I may decide to put the fatter style grips on it too. I think they used to be called BSA style grips but appeared on just about all the Brit machinery back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by 137011 View Post
    My '83 R100RS is equipped with Amal cushion grips and I'm very glad of it as they reduce transmitted vibration and are easier on the forearms ... I find the smaller diameter OEM grips on my 2013 F800GT less suitable for trips longer than 200 miles so I may decide to put the fatter style grips on it too. I think they used to be called BSA style grips but appeared on just about all the Brit machinery back in the day.
    Can you provide pics?
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

I put Johar foam grips on the RS a few weeks ago: http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarke...r-street-grips. I like them pretty well- much better than the BMW grips on the RS (where you have a fair amount of weight on your hands). I have foam grips on the K75 also, & like e'm.

In any event, I had not yet used the heated grips on the RS (it doesn't get that cold very often in SE Texas), so I tried them this week after I saw your post. I wasn't sure how well they would warm up since the foam is pretty thick. They let the heat through well enough, I thought- it was a 55 degree morning (not really cold enough for heated grips behind the RS fairing, if you ask me). The BMW grips were in pretty poor shape when I took them off (looked like they had been over-heated a few times, but likely had been on the bike for many years), so I'm not sure how well the foam would hold up with regular use of the heating elements over time. If you reuse your heating elements, be careful cutting off the old grips…
    Jim
    '78 R80/7 and '84 R100RS (Blues Brothers), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '02 325ci (Blue Streak)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas & freshly greased bearings!)

I like the feel and looks of these
    http://www.bmw2valve.com/motorcycle/A-6/7302656.html
    "Rumors of my assimilation are greatly exaggerated" - Capt. Picard.

Amal grips

These are the genuine article.... pretty much bullet proof and comfortable, too. (they're even equipped with molded holes in the end for installation of handlebar streamers..?! huh??)
    amal grips.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmylee View Post
    Can you provide pics?

Quote Originally Posted by picard View Post
    I like the feel and looks of these
    http://www.bmw2valve.com/motorcycle/A-6/7302656.html
    I have this style - I think these are just a copy of the original BMW's grips.

I like them as the ribs provide a secure gripping point and won't slip in my hand. They also have different diameter OD so that if my hands get tired of one size, I simply move up or down the surface for a while to change the feel of my grip.
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

These are the genuine article.... pretty much bullet proof and comfortable, too. (they're even equipped with molded holes in the end for installation of handlebar streamers..?! huh??)
    amal grips.jpg
    i had this style of grip years ago and didn't like them - especially on hot days because my hands would sweat and then slip n the smooth surface - so I would have to grip tighter to maintain my grip.

amal grips.jpg

Are those 1" ID on both ? I cut my grips off the heat elements, and they are 1" OD...{04 Roadster}

I want to try the Amals or the foam style.
    Ron Prior {AMA member 30+ years,MOA member 20+years}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

Here's a link to a hand grip discussion from this past September (pre-website "upgrade"), it had a lot of pictures; the image links are still there. Apparently when the site was upgraded the archival information was lost...

See > http://forums.bmwmoa.org/archive/index.php?t-74460.html

The OP was trying to identify a set of grips that he'd seen on another bike. They turned out to be Sunline Grand Touring Grips; Motorcycle Superstore offers them for $12 a pair. They're molded from a more "rubbery" material, and the texturing provide a bit more "stick".

Click her for a HUGE image

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Quote Originally Posted by lmo1131 View Post
    Here's a link to a hand grip discussion from this past September (pre-website "upgrade"), it had a lot of pictures; the image links are still there. Apparently when the site was upgraded the archival information was lost...

See > http://forums.bmwmoa.org/archive/index.php?t-74460.html

The OP was trying to identify a set of grips that he'd seen on another bike. They turned out to be Sunline Grand Touring Grips; Motorcycle Superstore offers them for $12 a pair. They're molded from a more "rubbery" material, and the texturing provide a bit more "stick".
    Says NLA - No longer available!!

I would like a pair myself!